Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bobmac57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

I spent a great deal of time trying to fabricate a tool to remove my beetle's rear wheel bearings, using Muir's book, YouTube videos, etc. No luck. I finally found something that removed my stuck bearings with ease. It's made by Kukko, and I got it from www.samstagsales.com.

It's the 70-2 and 70-722 set. It was $297.40 delivered -- not cheap, but it was the best solution for my situation.

After weeks of frustration, this tool made removal of the rear wheel bearings a piece of cake!

The 2" band iron you see slipped through the tool in the second photo kept the axle from rotating as I tightened the bearing puller.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by bobmac57 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

… nice that you found a correct tool - not a job that has to be done very often - I had a 1952 that sung an unfamiliar tune - looked and looked, tried all kinds of pullers - finally used a 3 arm puller, that I had to file-down to fit and a screwdriver, to little x little, pry that sucker out - took a bit of time - the other side was a little easier - I remember the part number of the replacement was a 411- number - I thought it might be incorrect, but it was not - all that was in 2003 and still rolling along - wouldda' been nice to have the correct tool, though - learned a lot, by having to improvise - still have that home-made puller, collecting dust - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobmac57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

Yes, hang on to that tool -- you never know when you'll need it again!!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

Love it! Thanks for posting that. I could've looked closer at your pic: I did a search for 70-222, it's actually -722 that we want. Embarassed

Interesting that they seem to be based in Chicago, but most of the tools on their site are from "Germany." Win win. Since I'm a tool whore, me gotsa git one.

Thanks again Exclamation
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

They have a listing on this site for same puller. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2489146

I bought out an old VW mechanics tools and one of these were in it years ago. I was excited to finally find one, but it was broken. I later found a Baum tool. Use it rarely, but it is great to have right tool for the job.

Casey
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

That looks like a good tool for a pretty penny. I've had this idea running around my head, but have not tried it because I have not had to pull a rear wheel bearing for quite a few years. My thought was to buy a 2 piece shaft shaft collar. I'd bolt it together and shave one side down on a mill, right to the edge of hitting the heads of the cap screws that hold it together.

I'd clamp onto the exposed edge of the rear wheel bearing with bolts to the inside to maximize their clamping power onto that exposed bearing edge. That shaft collar should be able to be grabbed with a regular puller. The brake backing plate would have to be removed, but it has already been unbolted so no big deal.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

Well done bob!
To complete your tool set, I suggest you pick up a piece of ~1 1/8" X 7" pipe to use as a driver to install the new bearing.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bobmac57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments! Busstom is correct -- thank you! Apparently I goofed with the part number! Sorry about that -- I've corrected it in my original post.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

haven't had to use my "new" to me puller . but looks damm BURLY!

66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobmac57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

That one looks like it can handle anything!!
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

Thanks for the post. Have been looking for a solution as well. Here is a video from their website:

Link

(probably stupid) Question: why did you have to stop the axle from rotating. Why would that make a difference on the bearing removal?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

Here's one for sale on eBay for $130:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144359186656?epid=6052780166&hash=item219c7a60e0:g:SCMAAOSwvGZh1mnO
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Swing Axle wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

Nice .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

bobmac57 wrote:
I spent a great deal of time trying to fabricate a tool to remove my beetle's rear wheel bearings, using Muir's book, YouTube videos, etc. No luck. I finally found something that removed my stuck bearings with ease. It's made by Kukko, and I got it from www.samstagsales.com.

It's the 70-2 and 70-722 set. It was $297.40 delivered -- not cheap, but it was the best solution for my situation.

After weeks of frustration, this tool made removal of the rear wheel bearings a piece of cake!

The 2" band iron you see slipped through the tool in the second photo kept the axle from rotating as I tightened the bearing puller.

I just bought one of these tools. Didn't include instructions, so I'm looking at your pictures to figure out how to put it together and use it.

It seems to have some extra pieces I assume I don't need to use. There's a metal rod that is rounded at one end and a smaller diameter at the other end that is a mystery.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

This thread may be "dead", but I had the same question about the extra rod. Not sure what that is for.

I have the tool now.

Observations:

1) It is a pain to get it on the bearing with the axle horizontal.

2) The video has a carrying case and a foam band that I did not receive with mine. That foam band I can make myself, but it looks useful for holding the arms in space while you tighten down the collar.

Ted
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

Ok! I used the tool to successfully remove the long stuck bearings out of my '59 split case transaxle.

I had to set the bevel-edge spacers that came with the puller aside, and use instead a stock spacer. The puller spacers were either too big to all the puller arms to fit inside the collar, or too small for the same.

Here are the photos I took with the puller and bearing still assembled. Notice the 4 "useless" spacers off to the side, and the stock vw one inside the puller arms.

I also believe I figured out what the extra shaft in the kit is for. It is used to hold the puller head from rotating while the bolt head is turned.

Ted

thefladge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a rear wheel bearing removal tool. Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Ok! I used the tool to successfully remove the long stuck bearings out of my '59 split case transaxle.

I had to set the bevel-edge spacers that came with the puller aside, and use instead a stock spacer. The puller spacers were either too big to all the puller arms to fit inside the collar, or too small for the same.

Here are the photos I took with the puller and bearing still assembled. Notice the 4 "useless" spacers off to the side, and the stock vw one inside the puller arms.

I also believe I figured out what the extra shaft in the kit is for. It is used to hold the puller head from rotating while the bolt head is turned.

Ted

I received mine in the mail last week. I sent an email to the vendor and they said that the rod is for tightening the cup over the arms. It fits in that hole on the side.

I used the beveled spacer that came with the tool. The inner diameter is too big, bit it centers itself when the for arms are fit into the bearing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: