Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

And so it begins
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezytroopy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: And so it begins Reply with quote

Found this 1957 bug in apaddock. The old owner said it has been there for more than 25 years. Motor still turns by hand. The battery is stamped 1982 and still had 2.4 volts. Dont make em like they used to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

If that is a 1957 bug you're in the wrong forum.

I assume you mean you have a 1958 Model Year Beetle that was manufactured in the last 5 months of 1957. But unless it has the oval rear window, do not call it a 1957, please.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ezytroopy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

It is a 9/ 1957 but not an oval window. So more of a 58 than oval.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

Yeah as expected. But it IS a 1958 model. If you want to be more specific, say "early 58" or SEP 57 Beetle.

anyway, looks like it has potential. After sitting that long I'd be more surprised the battery wasn't lying on the ground under the car than having some residual voltage.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
...looks like it has potential.

Derek Bieri, down home mechanic and owner of the Vice Grip Garage, would have this car running & driving in no time. On his TV show, Roadworthy Rescues, he revives old derelict vehicles right where they sit and gets 'em back on the road.

Fun show if anybody's interested: https://www.motortrend.com/plus/show/roadworthy-rescues/24703/

Good luck with your new project...
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
ezytroopy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

Got it into the shed today. Sorted out the dizzy, we now have spark. But I can’t get the starter motor to wake up. Buy the way it sits on the level slab ide say she has been raised.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

Cool car, have fun with it.
Love your Hilux. Wish we had them in the US…
ezytroopy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

House wrote:
Cool car, have fun with it.
Love your Hilux. Wish we had them in the US…

That’s funny because we wish we had Tacomas.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

Laughing
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

Cool....Euro model with semaphores?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

It is an Australian RHD beetle made from CKD kits. The car would have had close to half locally made parts I.e. local Bosch or Hella or other factories.

So even if it were Sep 57 by engine or chassis number it most likely was “registered” many months after the nominal manufacturing date.

Also be aware Australian year models ran Jan to Dec not Aug to July as the factory closed for summer holidays at Christmas.

To the OP, it helps enormously if your avatar says Southern Highlands in Oz as many wouldn’t know where you’re located. I did, but most wouldn’t.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

So, CKD kits still used semaphores until 1960? Interesting.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
So, CKD kits still used semaphores until 1960? Interesting.

According to local information semaphores were replaced in June 1960.

What was also interesting was that KG’s were imported in LHD in 1960 and then retrospectively converted to RHD at the dealers before sale. Wonder where all those LHD parts ended up?

In late 57 Australian oval windows were replaced by the large window version. If this is when the OP’s car was manufactured it would (for the purposes of our registration) indeed be a 57.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: