Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

License Plate- what is the best way to attach it?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
varagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: License Plate- what is the best way to attach it? Reply with quote

So, my Ghia has two holes to mount the licence plate, but here in Kansas, we have four holes (one at each corner). The engine lid's two holes are in the middle, sides, of the license plate, and the license plate holder on the car doesn't work well without possible scratching up the paint as you have to bolt the license plate to the holder, thus covering up the two bolts to attach to the deck lid- therefore, you can't tighten those bolts.

If I put the holder on first, I can't add the bolts/screws for the license plate as the holder is against the deck lid.

(I'm a new owner and finally tagged my car after buying in late October- I'm ready for Spring so I can drive her!)

I can take pictures tomorrow.

What do you use to attach your license plate?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spaced the bracket away from the paint with nylon flat washers on both sides of the bracket. The bolts you need are very short so there is clearance to poke your fingers around the back of the plate to start the nuts. A pair of small long nose Vysegrips with the nut in its jaws can also fit back there. You can use nylocks so they don't shake loose and have minimal tension.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: License Plate- what is the best way to attach it? Reply with quote

varagon wrote:
What do you use to attach your license plate?

This:
SamBerr74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on making a small rubber gasket (like a ghia's windshield rubber to go around my plate before it gets attached to the decklid
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have T-shaped rubber inserts with nuts imbedded in them. You drill holes at the four corners of your plate, insert the rubber into the holes with the nut now through to the inside of the deck lid. When you tighten the bolts through the license plate, the rubber squishes and seals the holes in the deck and holds the plate tight about an 1/8 of an inch from the paint. I can't remember what they are called, but I first discovered them on a Land Rover, but I did find them at a good hardware store.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used T-shaped rubber inserts with nuts imbedded in them. You drill holes at the four corners of your plate, insert the rubber into the holes with the nut now through to the inside of the deck lid. When you tighten the bolts through the license plate, the rubber squishes and seals the holes in the deck and holds the plate tight about an 1/8 of an inch from the paint. I can't remember what they are called, but I first discovered them on a Land Rover, but I did find them at a good hardware store.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well nuts, they are used a lot for fastening various items onto cars and such. They expand as you tighten them and create a water tight seal (except for seepage past the threads).

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/11120...ngMachine=

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamBerr74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Well nuts, they are used a lot for fastening various items onto cars and such. They expand as you tighten them and create a water tight seal (except for seepage past the threads).

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/11120...ngMachine=

Dave

just a little tip , while you are at Fastenal you can order brass bar in long lengths that have the correct profile for the convertible chrome trim pieces , you just have to cut a groove into the bottom and shape the ends and then chrome it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how it was done in 1969.
This car has had three owners, I'm the third.
I've never licensed it and the person I purchased it from didn't either. It's been off the road for 14 years that I'm aware of.

So, original plate mounting from 1969.......
(Yes, that's how much snow is packed around this car! 1/2 way up the doors! And it is mounted on inflated tires! I had to dig out the plate bracket to photograph it.)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: