Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking 28 PCI - Solved
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Leaking 28 PCI - Solved Reply with quote

Today I discovered a solution to a leaking 28 PCI which has baffled me for a long time.

Whenever you look for ideas on leaking carburetors here, the common solutions are fuel pressure, float valve, rebush throttle shaft.

Well the last one is really not a cause of leaking carburetors but rather more like a canary in the coal mine, where you can actually see that there is a problem somewhere, but worn throttle shafts do not cause fuel to leak, they show the results of a fuel leak just as a dead canary shows that you have a problem with the air you are breathing down in that mine, and you'd better get out quickly.

Fuel pressure and float valves are valid sources of leaks, but when you've eliminated those two problems, what can be left?

Emulsion tube housing. The emulsion tube housing is a press fit into the carburetor body. If you have a cracked or loose fitting emulsion tube housing, it can slowly drain the fuel from the float chamber until the level of the float chamber is equal to the height of the hole in the carb body where the housing fits.

Today I reset my emulsion tube housing using blue Locktite, hoping it would be strong enough to lock it in and seal the leak, and weak enough to allow removal down the road if I need it. Other suggestions are welcome.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mr Bubble Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'de change the float needle valve I bet its sticking every now and then, causeing fuel to feed into the carb under pressure from the weight of fuel in your tank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flavio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort.
This thread has about two years old, but I'm interested about your result with the Blue Loctite at the emulsion tube housing .
Did it work ?
Thanks
Flavio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue loctite worked for a while but I changed it to Seal-All and that is still holding up. (Small yellow tube)
Flavio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I've never seen the Seal-all product over here... but I have a tube of Loctite 577 that is fuel proof. Will try it.
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get to the emulsion tube. Isnt it buried in the cast tube?
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it out....
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you are saying leaking, what do you mean? Is it my symptoms - If the car sits, say for a week ( could be a couple days) the engine has to crank over and over and over, to apparently fill the carb bowl, then the car starts... is this what you were experiencing?

Thanks

Matt
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr matt, I think you're experiencing fuel evaporation from your float chamber, but it could be exacerbated by a leak.

Typically, what I've experienced with a leaking emulsion tube is you drive until the motor is warm. Then you stop for 5-15 minutes. When you start the motor, it stumbles as it's flooded from the fuel flowing out of the float chamber and into the cylinders. In my case I could also smell the fuel as I walked by the rear of the car.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I do have a different issue. I know someone else who had the same problem as I did, sent his carb away to be rebuilt and no longer had the issue. Guess it is time for a rebuild, but especially wanted to focus in on the problem area that causes this.

Thanks again!
NikC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

747frieghtdog wrote:
Figured it out....

Share the love ! Smile
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikC wrote:
747frieghtdog wrote:
Figured it out....

Share the love ! Smile

Gently wiggle the emulsion tube and pull out at the same time.

Its just a press fit.

If you require pliers on them, "gently" use them, its soft metal.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you pull the air correction jet out, be gentle when you screw it back in. I might be unlucky but about 1/2 the PCI's I have, have cracks in the carrier from people over tightening the jet.
Captain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 28 pci that has the top of the tube broke because of over tightening. What can I do. Replace tube? Who sells the correst one? Thanks
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PICT 28's are a great little carb. I got some great gas Milage with mine even on a 1641cc sp with a W-100 cam it performed excellent! I would just find a used one check here on the samba or e-bay or cregs-list. I just found a whole bunch of 1600 DP Doghouse parts on Cregs List.
I think mine had this problem. The throttle shafts all leak but only when the car is stopped. That must be when the gas comes around. Could explain gas in the oil in cold weather too! Good to Know!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firegregbeav wrote:
I have a 28 pci that has the top of the tube broke because of over tightening. What can I do. Replace tube? Who sells the correst one? Thanks

Yes, you have to replace this tube.
I do not know of anyone who makes or sells this tube - you have to get it from another used carb.

Check this thread out for some information on removing it:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432616

Another recent thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619086
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Strato56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
when you are saying leaking, what do you mean? Is it my symptoms - If the car sits, say for a week ( could be a couple days) the engine has to crank over and over and over, to apparently fill the carb bowl, then the car starts... is this what you were experiencing?

Thanks

Matt

mr matt, did you ever figure out what this was? My car is doing the exact same thing after a carb rebuild and I'm not sure where the float bowl is leaking. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Bubble Head wrote:
I'de change the float needle valve I bet its sticking every now and then, causeing fuel to feed into the carb under pressure from the weight of fuel in your tank

Thanks to this comment from 11 years ago I think I understand the source of the carb leak from the 28PCI in my 55 bug. After a rebuild it leaks. I have had trouble finding the source but after reading this I realized that it had gradually gotten better as I was driving and then yesterday when I filled the tank it got really bad again. Seems that with the tank full there is more pressure from the weight of the gas. Will report back on whether this is the problem ....
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecallaway wrote:
Mr Bubble Head wrote:

Thanks to this comment from 11 years ago I think I understand the source of the carb leak from the 28PCI in my 55 bug. After a rebuild it leaks. I have had trouble finding the source but after reading this I realized that it had gradually gotten better as I was driving and then yesterday when I filled the tank it got really bad again. Seems that with the tank full there is more pressure from the weight of the gas. Will report back on whether this is the problem ....

Found the old float needle valve and it is substantially different than the new one that came in my rebuild kit. Notably, the needle is much longer (see pics) so I suspect that the float is not able to completely shut it off either because of the extra weight or because it gets stuck at an angle where the float can not get enough leverage to overcome the side torque.

I put the old valve back in and will report on whether this fixes it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking 28 PCI - Solved Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
Today I reset my emulsion tube housing using blue Locktite, hoping it would be strong enough to lock it in and seal the leak, and weak enough to allow removal down the road if I need it. Other suggestions are welcome.

I had forgotten about this topic.

The blue Locktite didn't hold up. I switched to Seal-All contact adhesive and sealant and it's been fine ever since.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: