Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A new faster way to PAINT?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: A new faster way to PAINT? Reply with quote

OMG.

Ok, I think I might have invented this one myself, but I'm sure someone else tried this. I love to spray epoxy. This is miracle wonder stuff. Easy to spray, easy to mix, low voc, dries fast, dries HARD! Amazing. No drawbacks basically.

Then I thought, hey! Why can't I just leave it like that? But it's a little dull. But basecoat is dull! Why not throw clear over it?? And TA DA! I did, and it's sic!

I will get pics but get this. It's basically cutting out basecoat! Your colour choice is very very limited (gray, white, green, black etc), but hot damn, I am in love! Smile

The result? Super cheap, easy to spray (the clear is pretty deadly stuff, but what can ya do), super hard finish. I have no idea how it will hold up or what will happen as the epoxy has on UV protection, but it's just something new I decided to try. By new I mean I have never heard of it here or on AB forums...
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to hearing more.
Rockstar Suzuki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A new faster way to PAINT??! Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
OMG.

Ok, I think I might have invented this one myself, but I'm sure someone else tried this. I love to spray epoxy. This is miracle wonder stuff. Easy to spray, easy to mix, low voc, dries fast, dries HARD! Amazing. No drawbacks basically.

Then I thought, hey! Why can't I just leave it like that? But it's a little dull. But basecoat is dull! Why not throw clear over it?? And TA DA! I did, and it's sic!

I will get pics but get this. It's basically cutting out basecoat! Your colour choice is very very limited (gray, white, green, black etc), but hot damn, I am in love! Smile

The result? Super cheap, easy to spray (the clear is pretty deadly stuff, but what can ya do), super hard finish. I have no idea how it will hold up or what will happen as the epoxy has on UV protection, but it's just something new I decided to try. By new I mean I have never heard of it here or on AB forums...

So you spray the epoxy (BASECOAT) and then you clear over it (CLEARCOAT)? If it's gray,white green etc how are you eliminating it?
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I didn't get really good pics, but if you look at the side of my 23... (Sad thing to experiment on huh??) Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Basically at the far back of the bus is the epoxy + clear and some really quick colour sanding. The front half is just the epoxy with no (or overspray) clear.

As you can easily see even in my crappy pic, the rear of the bus has a grey with shiny appearance, and the front has a grey/dull appearance. The 'shine' is in the clear (as we all know), not in the basecoat. So why spend $$$ on basecoat? I don't see the point really.

The drawback is of course limited colours or you have to gamble with tinting epoxies.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Very Happy but one problem....will it dye back?...since epoxy primer flashes different than clear and also regualer surfacer primer, it will take the clear with it when it does finish flashing....i wonder if it'll dull?

park it out in the sun as much as possible and let us know about the results. aslo epoxy takes days to flash to dry completely,while clear flashes immediately...curious to see what happens...

you can spray primer,wait for it to flash and spray clear over it too,since it's a urethane system...guys do this with epoxy's and primers in the "rat rod scene and matt clear em....same system, just no glossso if it were to dye back they wouldn't care....so it's not new sort of.

see my "gallery" for more pics other than the website.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epoxy was dry for 24-48ish hours and then I was a little bored after spray clear on something else. Then I though, eeeh, why not? I cleaned up the epoxy a bit and sprayed the clear and the result was a real shocker.

I don't think the epoxy has any UV protection, but I have left it outside for weeks/months and nothing has happened to it (on something else).

The bus hardly sees sunshine though Sad Garaged and barely even sees fresh air yet.

Maybe someone in Cali/AZ can do a test panel??
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

34-48 is quite along time the epoxy is definately kicked for sure...

you should try d/a ing the clear and see if it feathers back..if it does then you have good adhesion and the clear bites well to the epoxy.

if it does not feather you are going to have to remove all the clear and recoat your epoxy..but helll you gotta do that anyways as your still the "works"

i love experimenting too!!!! Wink

Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
So I didn't get really good pics, but if you look at the side of my 23... (Sad thing to experiment on huh??) Smile

I think it would look better if you just clearcoated right over the front end without priming it. THAT would look unique.
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I colour sanded with 1000,1500 and it's really tough and on there good, so adhesion is not an issue. The epoxy is urethane chemical comp and so is the clear so they should be friendly to each other Smile

It looked better before the filler (don't worry, it's really thin).

I should clear the roof but I don't think it will stick..

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are trying for the "I just rolled it out of the Body Shop 1/2 done" look? Laughing
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you need to stop bro' your trying to make your own steps...

just finish d/a ing that thing and epoxy the entire ride...then do your body work..stop trying to remove steps..your not rewriting the bible bro' this has been done 1000x's over.

i don;t understand your point...uerethane products will adhere to anything and your point?....how about straightening them panels,blocking them and showing your "body" skills rather than your temptations.

Last edited by schell '59 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
You are trying for the "I just rolled it out of the Body Shop 1/2 done" look? Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Can I stop sanding now?? Smile
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude just prep the thing the right way..180,320 etc and epoxy that thing already..your skipping steps and rushing something...your still behind the 8 ball

dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'm skipping steps, I think I'm taking longer than I should sanding it. It had some horrible white paint on it that was in all the nooks and crannies, just taking the time to get it all off.

I don't have a DA, just hand sanding it (see, wasting time!) Smile

The passenger side was totally stripped, then I put a little epoxy on it just 'to see' and the clear is just an experiment. The only body work that has started is on the nose.

The metal work is done and the bus is already pretty straight, just took a little detour along the way.

I would never just epoxy/clear the 23, and leave it. The side will be resanded, re-epoxy'd, bodyworked', 2K'd. All the stuff is SPI, which is stellar stuff for the price.
schell '59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to buy a d/a !!! good lord your gonna hate that bus by the time your ready for primer!!

...just get that old girl in high build!!!

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansas Beige Hot Rod Flatz. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lyrikz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A new faster way to PAINT? Reply with quote

You arent the first. I did it on my 71 chevy. Had the front in black epoxy, then just applied clear. It looks perfect compared to the black fenders. You cant tell

I also clear coated over the steel dash.
Pics

Dash. It looks way shinier in person. All the sand swirls in it.

craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i would worry about is fading. I doubt sealer has any UV protection at all. Don't think the pigments will hold up to sunlight. It will probably turn a milky black color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lyrikz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
One thing i would worry about is fading. I doubt sealer has any UV protection at all. Don't think the pigments will hold up to sunlight. It will probably turn a milky black color.

Uhm, the uv protection in the clear should take care of those worries. I could be wrong. But im not. lol.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyrikz wrote:
craigman wrote:

Uhm, the uv protection in the clear should take care of those worries. I could be wrong. But im not. lol.

Actually, you are wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: