Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailer Wiring Problems, need help!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Trailer Wiring Problems, need help! Reply with quote

OK So I have this Harbor Freight trailer and I'm wiring it up to my 85 Vanagon Westy. My father had the trailer and wiring converter box hooked up to his 90 Miata with no problems. I can't seem to get the trailer to respond correctly, it seems like sort sort of issue with the Left side. Here's what happens:

Ign off, Parking lites on, Eng off:

-RS of trailer side marker and tail lite on

-LS both off

Ign off, Haz on:

-RS tail lite only flashes

-LS both side marker and tail flash

Ign on, left turn signal actuated:

-RS tail lite flash only

-LS both side and tail flash

Ign on, Westy running, Haz on:

-RS both working correctly

-LS Both side markerand tail light flash

Brake lights work correctly in all cases.

LS tail lite seems not as brite as the RS.

What the heck am I doing wrong here?

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is utterly impossible to diagnose without knowing what wires you spliced into to steal signal to the trailer. I'd suggest you sit down with the wiring diagrams for the van, trailer, and converter box and figure out the logic paths to the trailer right now, that should tell you where the problem is.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Wiring Problems, need help! Reply with quote

Check for a weak or missing ground on the trailer left side lights fixture.

Mark

unibagel wrote:
OK So I have this Harbor Freight trailer and I'm wiring it up to my 85 Vanagon Westy. My father had the trailer and wiring converter box hooked up to his 90 Miata with no problems. I can't seem to get the trailer to respond correctly, it seems like sort sort of issue with the Left side. ...............

Chris
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Wiring Problems, need help! Reply with quote

Thx Mark, I removed and cleaned the gronds for each light and that seemed to clear up 90% of the problem.

Now the LS tail lite is noticibly dimmer as the parking lights are on. But when the brakes are pressed, the RS is noticibly dimmer although they both lite up. Any suggestions on that???

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

unibagel wrote:
OK So I have this Harbor Freight trailer and I'm wiring it up to my 85 Vanagon Westy. My father had the trailer and wiring converter box hooked up to his 90 Miata with no problems. I can't seem to get the trailer to respond correctly, it seems like sort sort of issue with the Left side. ...............

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer Wiring Problems, need help! Reply with quote

I assume you are using one of those converter boxes. I have had a lot of grief getting some of those to work unless the connections are all clean and good. I have had a few of the boxes act up and/or die. In any case when a light is dimmer than it should be there is a weak connection.

Mark

unibagel wrote:
Thx Mark, I removed and cleaned the gronds for each light and that seemed to clear up 90% of the problem.

Now the LS tail lite is noticibly dimmer as the parking lights are on. But when the brakes are pressed, the RS is noticibly dimmer although they both lite up. Any suggestions on that???

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

unibagel wrote:

Chris
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I cleaned off all of the trailer grounds, but it made no difference.

What I did notice is that you are physically able to install the RS light bulb 180 deg. out of phase (cheap Chinese stuff!). So the bright side of the bulb (brake light) would illuminate constantly when the parking lights were on instead of the dim side. Once I installed it correctly, the lights work as designed! Doh! Problem solved!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple HF trailers myself. I got tired of dealing with lighting issues and installed LED tail lights they put on sale sometimes. Much better, brighter, and less sensitive to weak wiring connection since they use much less amps. No bulb filaments to break either.

Mark

unibagel wrote:
Ok I cleaned off all of the trailer grounds, but it made no difference.

What I did notice is that you are physically able to install the RS light bulb 180 deg. out of phase (cheap Chinese stuff!). So the bright side of the bulb (brake light) would illuminate constantly when the parking lights were on instead of the dim side. Once I installed it correctly, the lights work as designed! Doh! Problem solved!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: