Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

ottvw wrote:
Unfortunately it's missing the sticker. I can't seem to find a pic of pastel blue to compare it too

I'll look too and see if I can find something.
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

Thank you!
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

ottvw wrote:
The more I think about it it does look closer to gulf blue
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's definitely NOT Pastel Blue. My 61 was originally Pastel Blue, and I have found patches of exposed original paint in various spots, such as the wheel wells. Here's one pic:
http://s271.photobucket.com/user/mannaxman/media/1961%20VW%20Ragtop%20Project/2009101105.jpg.html

And here's a thread on a 61 with original Pastel Blue paint - PROJECT: Preserving a 1961 Beetle
GeRGelu:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

ottvw wrote:
Unfortunately it's missing the sticker. I can't seem to find a pic of pastel blue to compare it too

Mine's a Pastel Blue.
Got it yesterday first fired up, after many years of preparation Very Happy

Looking for a pre 61 Splitty!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

Yup defiantly not! Thanks!!
60BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

My 60 BUG - George

2 868 XXX
113 VW De Luxe Sedan
30 DIN-PS 1;2 liter
L440 Pebble Grey
Built: 4 febr. 1960
Left factory 12 febr. 1960
Country of destination - Finland

(now in Belgium)

1863072_orig by Wambeke Bjorn, on Flickr

DSC_4652 - 2015-07-31 at 15-21-16 - Version 2 by Wambeke Bjorn, on Flickr

DSC_4765 - 2015-07-31 at 15-36-45 by Wambeke Bjorn, on Flickr
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

Beautiful! Do you have any interior shots?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
60BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Beautiful! Do you have any interior shots?

Only some crapy iPhone pictures.

IMG_1863 - 2015-05-26 at 08-16-53 by Wambeke Bjorn, on Flickr

IMG_1794 - 2015-05-21 at 10-50-42 by Wambeke Bjorn, on Flickr

IMG_1793 - 2015-05-21 at 10-50-40 by Wambeke Bjorn, on Flickr
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

Lovely. The car looks to have been very nicely restored or amazingly preserved. Seats look original.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
60BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Lovely. The car looks to have been very nicely restored or amazingly preserved. Seats look original.

It has been restored and repainted in the 90's somewhere...
Interior looks like the original should be. Only 2 tears that are repared.
Rathguten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

My Indigo Blue '60.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

Rathguten wrote:
My Indigo Blue '60.

Nice color ! Like it a lot !
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

Here's my daily driver since 1999.... originally indian red, Swedish car (that's the original license plate from Sweden).
I ain't too pretty (and for sure not stock) but it does the job (with the original 30 hp and tranny, but 4 disc brakes and fat rubber... it's not fast but it does stop fast Razz ).
Next up: some new fenders all around, to replace the dented up ones that are on it right now. But no hurry, be happy Cool

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread Reply with quote

After nearly a ten month wait, I've received my BC. The only thing that surprised me was the point of entry being San Francisco, not Portland or Seattle.

Darthmjh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Does anyone know who makes the best quality reproduction spare wheel well panel for a 1960 Beetle.

Or does anyone have an NOS one for sale ?

Many thanks

Mike
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Just traded my 1959 Willys FC-150 truck for this 1960 Indian Red car.
Bought used at Castle Cars in Norfolk Virginia, although Im not sure when. Id assume it was bought used because the sticker is applied over the repaint (which I intend to strip back to original paint, except in the sticker area).
I have the original 36hp that I will eventually rebuild but for now I am using the good running 40hp the P/O is including. I need stale air tin, heater boxes, and exhaust so I can fit the 40hp in it as well as a manual choke carb.
Ill edit this post when I get it home and start a build thread.
Also, if anyone has any information regarding Castle Cars or has a license plate surround or maybe can help me reproduce the sticker, Id greatly appreciate it.
Thanks, James

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Damn, if I didn't know any better Id say that's my car

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
Damn, if I didn't know any better Id say that's my car

I just went and stalked your gallery and at passing glance I could see how that happens. Its absolutely beautiful!
I noticed that you have a later steering wheel. Do you still have that later one or did you find a correct 60-61 wheel? I have a correct 60 wheel with a horn ring that needs restoration but if you want an original white core p/m me.
James
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hello
i just got the car i have been waiting for 4 years now.
It's history goes like this.. my best friend that helped me rebuild my abused 52 split died 4 years ago in June to lung cancer, this car is supposedly built only 4 days older than him, in September 1960. I have been wanting to buy it from his family but they were still very emotional and attached to it. Only after some current financial problems and the truth it could never be restored by them, they decided it was time to let it go to the closest friend its owner had..

September 1960
original 2 fold sunroof
the chassis number : 3322195
front axle: 332xxxx (crappy picture, can't figure out last digits)
engine later 1200cc, not original
gearbox yet to determine.

My plans are to preserve it for the time being, as you can see my house is under remodeling. After the new garage is done in a few months to strip it down and do bodywork. It will definitely need new pans, new heater channels, A pillar repair kits, right front side panel is crushed and badly repaired in the spare area. Front and rear aprons good, not too much rust elsewhere.

The car is mostly complete, but i am sure it will need much more than what i see at the first glance, they all do. Oh, and it will be painted white as it left the factory, not that ugly silvery paint.

My cars were never bone stock, i just got for it some original goodies as in 3 spoke white steering, 50/50 Aussie tail lights, under dash package tray, roof rack, perspex sun visors, Perohaus turn signal cluster, some aluminum hubcaps, and will follow a set of Riechert dual carbs, if budget allows a set of Porsche wide five wheels for the looks. Will of course ditch those eyebrows and the white walls, will go for Vredestein Classic or Firestone F560 in the 165 R15 size.

60BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

eurodub wrote:
Hello
i just got the car i have been waiting for 4 years now.
It's history goes like this.. my best friend that helped me rebuild my abused 52 split died 4 years ago in June to lung cancer, this car is supposedly built only 4 days older than him, in September 1960. I have been wanting to buy it from his family but they were still very emotional and attached to it. Only after some current financial problems and the truth it could never be restored by them, they decided it was time to let it go to the closest friend its owner had..

September 1960
original 2 fold sunroof
the chassis number : 3322195
front axle: 332xxxx (crappy picture, can't figure out last digits)
engine later 1200cc, not original
gearbox yet to determine.

My plans are to preserve it for the time being, as you can see my house is under remodeling. After the new garage is done in a few months to strip it down and do bodywork. It will definitely need new pans, new heater channels, A pillar repair kits, right front side panel is crushed and badly repaired in the spare area. Front and rear aprons good, not too much rust elsewhere.

The car is mostly complete, but i am sure it will need much more than what i see at the first glance, they all do. Oh, and it will be painted white as it left the factory, not that ugly silvery paint.

My cars were never bone stock, i just got for it some original goodies as in 3 spoke white steering, 50/50 Aussie tail lights, under dash package tray, roof rack, perspex sun visors, Perohaus turn signal cluster, some aluminum hubcaps, and will follow a set of Riechert dual carbs, if budget allows a set of Porsche wide five wheels for the looks. Will of course ditch those eyebrows and the white walls, will go for Vredestein Classic or Firestone F560 in the 165 R15 size.

Nice another 1960 bug ! Looking forward to see the rest project !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 30

Jump to: