Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

411/412 Standard, L & LE models
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: 411/412 Standard, L & LE models Reply with quote

Maybe this has already been addressed at one time here in the forum, or is basic Type 4 knowledge, but what exactly are the differences between the standard 411/412 and the L & LE models? Just curious!

previous owner of:
'74 VW Thing
'00 VW Golf
'04 VW Golf GLS
'72 VW 411 2 Door
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the U.S. all models were L-spec but here in Europe there were two models: standard and L. Cars equipped with carburators were labeled as 411 and 411 L. Fuel injected models were 411 E and 411 LE. Latest, 1974 model year 412's with carburators were labeled as 412 S and 412 LS.
L- spec cars had several differences when compared with the basic model. They had fully carpeted floors (and rear cargo space in the Variant) when basic models had rubber matting. All L-models ahd also fully carpeted front trunk. Variant models also had all pillars covered with vinyl lining when the basic models' lining ended in the C-pillar. VAriant models had also different arm rests in the rear seat. Also the fabrics and faux leather used in these models were different. They had wider front seat back rests that could be equipped with adjustable head rest (basic model had hig back seats if head rest was chosen). Interior was equipped with clock and cicagrette lighter. L-spec cars had also wider door step trim, and chrome trim (aluminium infact) in the roof edge, sides and wheel arch.

This is what i could remember. Some of the differences i mentioned could be chosen as optional extras for the basic model. And i think there were some extras that could be chosen only if the car was L-spec.
sbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info, Lahti411! It seems like my 411 has most of the LE-model options you've mentioned, but it sports the regular 411 badge (not the 411 LE). I wonder if the original owner added these options at purchase or later on? I guess I could always get a birth certificate through VWs auto museum to see what the original package was.

previous owner of:
'74 VW Thing
'00 VW Golf
'04 VW Golf GLS
'72 VW 411 2 Door

Last edited by sbritt on Wed May 18, 2011 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i forgot to mention, the U.S. models never had L, E, LE, etc. badgin. They all had simply etiher 411 or 412 badges. And as far as i know, the wagon models didn't have the "Variant" badge either like the European models had.
sbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Still, it might be fun to plop an "LE" badge onto my U.S. 411, but that might be cheating a bit.

previous owner of:
'74 VW Thing
'00 VW Golf
'04 VW Golf GLS
'72 VW 411 2 Door

Last edited by sbritt on Wed May 18, 2011 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, my daughter has a Vento badge on her Jetta. And I like Supers with 1302 and 1303 badges even though I never did it with mine. Cool
sbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bit more of an explanation of the different models from "Volkswagens of the World," a book which I just received today in the mail. It's a pretty informative read, but I strongly DO NOT agree with the author who states:

Quote:
"The 411s were ugly and this certainly deterred many would-be buyers."

Personally, I think the Type 4 is the BEST looking car VW ever manufactured and sorry if I offend any of you 412 owners, but I slightly prefer the looks of the 411 over the 412. Over 15 years ago when I was restoring my '74 Thing, I used to scour the local junkyards hoping to find parts. It was then that I came face-to-face with my first Type 4 and have been in love with them ever since. So what if the majority of VW aficionados find the Type 4 ugly? That means more parts for us!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

previous owner of:
'74 VW Thing
'00 VW Golf
'04 VW Golf GLS
'72 VW 411 2 Door
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that the curves of the 411 are slightly better looking....but the mechanical and aerodynamic changes to the 412 more than make up for the difference. I beleive the real difference was about 5* more static castor to the very late 411 and all 412's...and a good bit less lift inducing curve on the front end. It makes for noticably better handling at higher road speeds in crosswinds. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vonkr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I think the Type 4 is the BEST looking car VW ever manufactured

Here in Holland we have a joke, and I think it's easy to translate:

a type 4 isn't pretty, it isn't ugly, but it is pretty ugly... Laughing Laughing Laughing

From some points of view, the type 4 is good looking, but from some points... I personally find the type 4 the ultimate aircooled car from VW,
it is a finally grown up beetle, and lots and lots better than any type 1, 2 or 3.
But best looking VW... no sorry, I disagree...
(but I still love my 411 Very Happy )
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 412 variant is the best looking VW ever built.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably have an earlier edition of that book, but the author has owned Type 4's and liked them as I recall. I'm not sure any in-house Volkswagen was considered good looking until the Golf (Rabbit). (I say in-house to exclude the Type 1 Karmann Ghia which was considered quite stylish.)

(The pretty ugly pseudo-limerick was pretty funny Very Happy )
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Giugiaro designed the Rabbit/Golf I.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite among these cars when it comes to the look is the 412 Variant.
I also adore the look of the other VW model shown down to the right in the book page above: the ESVW. Compare it to any car desiged in the early 70's and you will find it ultra modern - sad it never came into proiduction Crying or Very sad

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
My favorite among these cars when it comes to the look is the 412 Variant.
I also adore the look of the other VW model shown down to the right in the book page above: the ESVW. Compare it to any car desiged in the early 70's and you will find it ultra modern - sad it never came into proiduction Crying or Very sad

/Lars S

For overall look...I prefer the two door saloons...412 especially. The ESVW's front end looks suspiciously like a ombination of the Audi 100Ls and the BMW 3.0CSI which it probably would have contended with.
The rear loks like a dead on cross between an audi 4000/quantum and a Maserati. Good looking car. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the frustrations with the Type 4 was the lack of a 4-door wagon. The market for 2-door wagons is pretty small, as families want 4 doors. I never understood why the product line was not designed with a 4-door wagon in mind. The Type 3 had the same problem but never offered ANY 4-door.
sbritt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the book, the author states:
Quote:
"A 5-door station wagon was on the drawing board but never made it into production."

previous owner of:
'74 VW Thing
'00 VW Golf
'04 VW Golf GLS
'72 VW 411 2 Door
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Still, it might be fun to plop an "LE" badge onto my U.S. 411"

If existing sources do not explain for us in the USA, "L" stands for the German word for luxury "Luxus". "E" stands for injection, "Einspritzung".

My dad was a VP for Volkswagen of America's HQ in NJ during the 70's and got to drive the higher-end products as company cars, including a few 411/412s. Also was able to get type 4's for mom, so that I learned to drive on her "schoolbus yellow" '74 412 sedan. After the 412 production ended in '74, dad switched over to a '75 Audi Fox (4-door, miami blue and fuel injected) and then a '76 Audi 100LS.
germanclassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such parts, like European badges, will Be available in the US fairly soon. We are working on that...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote"E" stands for injection, "Einspritzung".\quote]

Possibly the "E" stands for "Electronic"?
I have a vauge memory of seeing Type 4 (or Type3?) cars with a badge "Electronic" at the rear, anybody can confirm?

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the E was German for injection, as posted above.

Late Bugs had a FUEL INJECTION badge on the decklid, but id didn't say "electronic" either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: