Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Bus Engine Displacement? Reply with quote

Vjod wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this site and i have what may or may not be a dumb question. I have a 1977 Bus that is fuel injected with an automatic transmission and I know that its a type 4 motor. Only problem is that I can't figure out what displacement it is to determine what parts I can/ cannot buy and use. How can I figure out what displacement it is?
Thanks Very Happy

The only way to know for sure is to tear the engine down and start measuring. You pretty much have to wait to buy parts until after you have gotten into the case anyway as the crank and bearings may well not be standard size any more.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Bus Engine Displacement? Reply with quote

Vjod wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this site and i have what may or may not be a dumb question. I have a 1977 Bus that is fuel injected with an automatic transmission and I know that its a type 4 motor. Only problem is that I can't figure out what displacement it is to determine what parts I can/ cannot buy and use. How can I figure out what displacement it is?
Thanks Very Happy

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

List the manufacturers and numbers for these items.
Fuel Injection
Carburetor
Distributor
Cylinder heads

You also need to determine if you have Hydraulic or Solid Lifters.
Hyd. or Solid Lifters

A little info.
Type 4: Secrets Revealed

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Vjod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: 77 Bus engine help Reply with quote

Thanks for replying, The engine is 100% stock and my Grandmother is the original owner, so i'm sure that no crazy engine replacements have been done. By looking at it I would believe that the majority of the components you listed, like the fuel injection and distributor, are Bosch and there is no carburetor as far as I can see. Unless the carburetor is the Black box thing bolted to the back of the engine compartment. The VIN number (one in front window and stamped into metal on bottom left of engine compartment) is 2272018290. I have several images so i will just post the links rather than fill up the thread with spam pictures:
1. http://i.imgur.com/hne0gZa.jpg (spec sticker on inside of trunk/hood?)
2. http://i.imgur.com/5WALOFt.jpg (Distributor)
3. http://i.imgur.com/6wCbBhr.jpg (VIN stamp)
4. http://i.imgur.com/Fh7IbzL.jpg (whole engine from back)

Thanks again,
Vjod
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bus engine help Reply with quote

Vjod wrote:

Busdaddy doesn't click on strange links and really hates it when member hosted photo links go dead in a few years because they let thier account with the host die, nothing kills a really helpful thread like a bunch of good information that says "see this in the pic?" yet all that you can see is a little box with a red X, read this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine is 100% stock and my Grandmother is the original owner
That is cool. Please post some pix on here so we can see it. If they will not load you may need to resize them.
Thank You
Tcash
Vjod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Bus engine help Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Vjod wrote:

Busdaddy doesn't click on strange links and really hates it when member hosted photo links go dead in a few years because they let thier account with the host die, nothing kills a really helpful thread like a bunch of good information that says "see this in the pic?" yet all that you can see is a little box with a red X, read this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Ok, I thought about the "strange link" part after I posted that but didnt think about the dead link part. It just seemed more convenient to post them with the links from a host website, but now I understand why you guys want it done that way. Hope this isn't too cluttered...:

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for and record the engine numbers in these two locations.

Look up under the dash on the drivers side for this plate. It is called the M-Plate.
You can take a pencil and a piece of paper and transfer the numbers on to the paper. Post the numbers or enter them into the M-Plate decoder.

You may want to go to the (Bay Widow Bus) homepage and start a (New Topic).

Good Luck
911GT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't seem to find the answer; here or anywhere else. I'm rebuilding an 69 bay window. I've got almost NOS bug headlights seems a shame to buy new repro lights.

Will they fit?

They are european lights by the way.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911GT2 wrote:
Can't seem to find the answer; here or anywhere else. I'm rebuilding an 69 bay window. I've got almost NOS bug headlights seems a shame to buy new repro lights.

Will they fit?

Yes, same components, just assembled sideways, rotate the lenses and they become bus.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bonujj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: floor Pan Reply with quote

i have a new floor pan for 70 super beetle vert and want to use it on a 70 regular vert beetle and also the heater channels is that possible to do. and also will they fit on a 70 Karmann Ghia vert trying to figure out what to do with them ..any help is greatly appreciated .thanks Sad
Vjod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: 1977 bus help thread Reply with quote

Started a new thread for trying to figure out the displacement on my '77
If anyone knows anything that can help me, is currently trying to help me, or, in the future Question , looking for the answer to my problem, then please go here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7411591#7411591
Thanks,
Vjod Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
911GT2 wrote:

Will they fit?

Yes, same components, just assembled sideways, rotate the lenses and they become bus.

And make sure the trim rings have drain holes at the bottom. Drill them if they don't, or the rings will rust from the inside out. Bug drain holes are 90* off bus drain holes, and aftermarket trim rings don't have any.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: floor Pan Reply with quote

bonujj wrote:
i have a new floor pan for 70 super beetle vert and want to use it on a 70 regular vert beetle and also the heater channels is that possible to do. and also will they fit on a 70 Karmann Ghia vert trying to figure out what to do with them ..any help is greatly appreciated .thanks :(

Wrong forum. Go to the Beetle forum. Offhand tho, the Vert will need a reinforced pan I think, and the Ghia rockers are quite different.
Beryl Green
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a stupid one. Due to poor eyesight and teeny numbers I am pretty sure i have torqued my heads to 28 ft not 23 ft. Moving house this month and would love to not deal with it right now, but If I have to so be it as I'll need to get it about 500 km or so to the new house. Is this dire for me and my kind or not such a biggy?
Cheers
911GT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not such a biggy, 5ft of torque isn't all that much realy.

I wouldn't even change it. Loosening up will do more damage I think. You've compressed the pushrodtubes with 28ft now. If you loosen it they might start leeking oil.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You increase the chance of pulling the studs and/or cracking the head by having the nuts too tight. Backing them off and retorquing them would be best. I wouldn't worry about the pushrod tubes, as we are only talking about a few thousandth of an inch change in their length.

Driving 500 kilometers this way isn't necessarily going to hurt much, but putting the retorquing off again and again will. Use some tape on the face plate of the torque wrench to make it easier to see the proper setting.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have or know someone who has a parking spot for a non running bus in the Santa Barbara/Isla Vista/Goleta area? I just bought a bus that suffered from a very minor engine fire and I need somewhere to store it for about a month while I figure out what it needs and what my plan for it is because currently I go to UCSB and have no where to put it at the moment. Willing to pay a fair price obviously.
Wetlandnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: 1977 bus vacuum Reply with quote

First post here! Gotta 1977 westie that has been carbed...I have been getting it up and running, new brakes, servo, etc; of course it's back firing some on de-acceleration. Set the valves and timing and was running good and stopping good. Now all of the sudden the servo has quit functioning. I know, check the vacuum lines...I have taken the all off and they don't appaer to be riptured ( I will replace them this afternoon...the stupid question is: does the vacuum coming from the manifold supposed to be sucking or blowing...mines blowing air out...fire away please!

Love the site! Any help would make mine and my wife's day better!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should suck while running , vacuum.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 bus vacuum Reply with quote

Wetlandnut wrote:
does the vacuum coming from the manifold supposed to be sucking or blowing...mines blowing air out...fire away please!

With dual carbs you will get a lot of pulsing in the intake manifold. You will get both suck and blow over the course of a complete combustion cycle. Of course if you have an intake valve that isn't sealing the pulsing will be much worse than it should be.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 190 of 515

Jump to: