Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:
I agree and will probably hit up sears or harbor freight today and remedy that problem. Luckily I was able to get all four bleeders loosened with little to no damage to the bleeder screws.

Use never seize on the threads when you reinstall the bleeder screws and keep caps over the ends and you should have no problem with the threads seizing up over the life of the rebuild. A short piece of vacuum hose closed off with a dap of silicone will make an acceptable cap if you don't have the real McCoy on hand. FWIW, on wrenches I would go with Sears over Harbor Freight.
cherok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all! Long-time lurker and Vw enthusiast. Caught my first bug on fire at 17, a ding-dong totaled my MKIV jetta in my 20's, tree fell on my country homes vanagon in my 30's, and just sold my MK V jetta w/ 2.0t and dsg... Now at 40 I'm ready for a late model bay Westfalia! The only problem? It's hard to pick one...

There are so many variables (bad body, good engine, no trans, restored, falling apart, etc.)... I've looked at a number the last several months but have yet to find one that meets my needs. Most seem horribly overpriced. This has lead me to branching out from the ATL in search of "the one". I'm not looking for a mint vehicle... but seems that if I can start w/ a decent body that requires minimal work, I'd be in a good spot.

Which brings me to my question(s)... is there a place on this forum where one should be discussing vehicles that are listed for sale on thesamba and elsewhere? I can't imagine that the several I've seen here, and on craigslist, haven't been seen by some w/ in this community.

for example...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1705491
this one seems like a good candidate... too bad it's been repainted... makes it hard to see how bad the rust is, etc. but why hasn't it sold yet? obviously they are asking too much... but does anyone have any insight?

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4831978086.html
another one that has promise... talked to this guy, seems like one that could work. but again... been listed for 2 months w/ out a sale. too much money?

thougths?

thanks!
vw1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I wish you to ask for a help. I found two holes on my 1978 deluxe bay's upholstery. I have no idea what are these holes for. Any ideas?
Attached pictures may help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
IMG_8803 by markkling05, on Flickr

IMG_8804 by markkling05, on Flickr

Thank you!
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherok wrote:
Good morning all! Long-time lurker and Vw enthusiast. Caught my first bug on fire at 17, a ding-dong totaled my MKIV jetta in my 20's, tree fell on my country homes vanagon in my 30's, and just sold my MK V jetta w/ 2.0t and dsg... Now at 40 I'm ready for a late model bay Westfalia! The only problem? It's hard to pick one...

There are so many variables (bad body, good engine, no trans, restored, falling apart, etc.)... I've looked at a number the last several months but have yet to find one that meets my needs. Most seem horribly overpriced. This has lead me to branching out from the ATL in search of "the one". I'm not looking for a mint vehicle... but seems that if I can start w/ a decent body that requires minimal work, I'd be in a good spot.

Which brings me to my question(s)... is there a place on this forum where one should be discussing vehicles that are listed for sale on thesamba and elsewhere? I can't imagine that the several I've seen here, and on craigslist, haven't been seen by some w/ in this community.

for example...

this one seems like a good candidate... too bad it's been repainted... makes it hard to see how bad the rust is, etc. but why hasn't it sold yet? obviously they are asking too much... but does anyone have any insight?

another one that has promise... talked to this guy, seems like one that could work. but again... been listed for 2 months w/ out a sale. too much money?

thougths?

thanks!

Hey cherok where are you located in metro atl? It sounds like you know what to look for so just be vigilant. there is a website searchtempest.com that allows you to search multiple craigslists at once which is nice for scoping the market. Once you find a bus you are interested in going to see it is half the fun if it is to far typically you can ask for help from members here good luck
cherok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skoolieman wrote:
cherok wrote:

for example...

thougths?

thanks!

Hey cherok where are you located in metro atl? It sounds like you know what to look for so just be vigilant. there is a website searchtempest.com that allows you to search multiple craigslists at once which is nice for scoping the market. Once you find a bus you are interested in going to see it is half the fun if it is to far typically you can ask for help from members here good luck

thanks for the feeback Skoolieman! i'm in roswell and have been on a trip or 2 that has left me disappointed... but on more than one occasion they have been pretty cool dudes!

which forum would a request for feedback on a potential purchase be best suited for? just this parent forum (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=5)?

thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw1965 wrote:
Hi!

I wish you to ask for a help. I found two holes on my 1978 deluxe bay's upholstery. I have no idea what are these holes for. Any ideas?

Thank you!

You Europeans with your chrome trimmed interiors make me jealous! Razz
Whatever those holes are for VW didn't put them there, off hand it looks like some sort of cleat or hook for a home made plywood seat extension to make it into a bed.

BTW, those are some cool non VW photos on your flickr page.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vw1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
vw1965 wrote:
Hi!

Thank you!

You Europeans with your chrome trimmed interiors make me jealous! Razz
Whatever those holes are for VW didn't put them there, off hand it looks like some sort of cleat or hook for a home made plywood seat extension to make it into a bed.

BTW, those are some cool non VW photos on your flickr page.

Dear BusDaddy!

Thank you for your help and thanks for checking my pictures.

I have no idea what I should to do with these holes, but I will find a solution.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caps

Iron on stickers

Good Luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are just talking about those little screw holes? Then just get some white vinyl repair goop and go for it.

Maybe someone had a drink holder screwed in there at some point.
vw1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Caps

Iron on stickers

Good Luck
Tcash

Nice ideas Thank You Tcash!
vw1965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You are just talking about those little screw holes? Then just get some white vinyl repair goop and go for it.

Maybe someone had a drink holder screwed in there at some point.

Thank you for your help!
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I have the mother of all stupid questions... can this case be salvaged or is it just too far gone? 1600 dual port that was seized and finally got the case split and started cleaning, took out the bearings to discover what may have helped kill it... the nipple at the flywheel end of the case appears to have broken... is there any hope of making it work or should I just scrap it?

Showing how much it moves in its seat

Hole without nipple in it.

Heres what it apparently did to the bearing....
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dowel holes can be easily relocated, but before doing that have it measured and see if there's any margin left for boring the saddles and thrust oversize.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it doesn't show that well but it's through the side of the case at the end, would that matter or would the oil dump out onto the flywheel? and how would that work with the new bearing?
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you need a new case from here Sad
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I was afraid of that... I have a 1500cc engine without tins or fan shroud or anything thats also seized so I might give that a try I guess and just put dual port heads on it or something.. blah. kicker is I already had most of the current case all cleaned up :l
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so a while ago I had asked about reusing my cam gear with my new webcam camshaft. Someone had asked what the part number was and I finally got it wrote down and got to my computer. Sorry this took so long but the number on it says replaces 021 109 1110. I am assuming this is an aftermarket gear from one of the PO's rebuilds. It is in really good condition, as was the cam. One of the lifters was messed up and I am switching to solid lifters is the reason for the new cam. Thanks for the help.

Also this is what comes up when I search the number in google:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-021-109-111-C
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: CAM Gear Reply with quote

Dr. kamikaze

Yes, that part # is good 021 109 111C aluminum gear Not the old "B" gear which is magnesium .

You will still need to have the bolt holes "spot faced" for the bolts.
unless the cip gear has had it already done from the manufacturer .

Glad to see you are moving forward with your Riviera. Also, I couldn't find your old build thread Question
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It is bolted to the cam that was in the engine when I pulled it out. Does that mean it will be good to go for a new cam?

Also not sure about the build thread. I should hunt it down and put it in my signature I suppose, this seems to come up often for me...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrKamikazi wrote:
Also not sure about the build thread. I should hunt it down and put it in my signature I suppose, this seems to come up often for me...

Is this it?
78 Riviera aka soon to be my new home!

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 206 of 515

Jump to: