Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
This is embarrassing... I've pulled T1 engines multiple times over the last 25 years and don't remember having a problem with this bolt...

How do you guys tighten (and loosen) the upper engine-to-tranny bolt on the driver's side? I have a '71 so my engine has the boss in the case so I don't need a nut on that bolt. I had a devil of a time removing the bolt and am wondering how you all do it.

Thanks!

I like a 6" extension for my thinnest 17mm socket. Some thick (cheap) sockets have a hard time fitting around the nut and clearing the trans case. This will put the ratchet wrench above the clutch cable, with enough room for a 60* swing of the ratchet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:
This is embarrassing... I've pulled T1 engines multiple times over the last 25 years and don't remember having a problem with this bolt...

How do you guys tighten (and loosen) the upper engine-to-tranny bolt on the driver's side? I have a '71 so my engine has the boss in the case so I don't need a nut on that bolt. I had a devil of a time removing the bolt and am wondering how you all do it.

Thanks!

I like a 6" extension for my thinnest 17mm socket. Some thick (cheap) sockets have a hard time fitting around the nut and clearing the trans case. This will put the ratchet wrench above the clutch cable, with enough room for a 60* swing of the ratchet.

That's what I did. I even have a stubby ratchet that seemed to help. Especially since my regular ratchet had a lot of slop in it. It has since been replaced by Sears for free. Third one in 27 years.

Last edited by ccpalmer on Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is your issue with a stuck bolt? Or do you have problems accessing it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
So is your issue with a stuck bolt? Or do you have problems accessing it?

It just took me an extra few minutes to get it out, but I did notice that the bolt had backed out a bit so I bet I didn't get it tight enough the last time. I can get it on/off with the ratchet/6" ext. but I was trying to figure out a better way to torque the bolt down well. Tough to get a good angle with the clutch cable and heater tube in the way. But those are the fun ones. Very Happy

I guess I could take off the heater tube to make access easier but I hate to mess with my very nice heater tubes since I know they're a tough one to find.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Accelerator cable linkage Reply with quote

I thought for sure I could find this info in a search....hence why I'm thinking it may be a stupid question?

I'm switching my bus back to FI and right now I'm changing out the accelerator cable. The one the PO had on there has a hook that attaches to the pedal linkage like so...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The one I think I should be installing has the bent end like this...

Is this how this cable end is supposed to be installed, or am I missing anything. Bentley has the one image and I think this is correct based on that?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator cable linkage Reply with quote

THall wrote:
Is this how this cable end is supposed to be installed,

Yes, that is correct.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator cable linkage Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
THall wrote:
Is this how this cable end is supposed to be installed,

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks BD!
aguirre59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash!
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut a hole for my fuel sender today, but how do you actually remove it from the gas tank? Do you just pry it out? I started trying without much luck and didn't want to force it.

On a 75 FI Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
I cut a hole for my fuel sender today, but how do you actually remove it from the gas tank? Do you just pry it out? I started trying without much luck and didn't want to force it.

On a 75 FI Smile

Turn the outer gold colored ring CCW, there's small rectangular ears sticking up to pry or pound on a little one side and then a little on the other. Or if it's a one peice unit turn the whole thing CCW.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you made yourself a squarish hole, you can use the corners of the hole to pry against. With a round hole it is hard to achieve good leverage.
Mistersponge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this is an appropriate place to post my dumb question, can somebody help me ID my motor? GE028590 it's in a 77 bus, but if I'm reading the chart correct its a 78 motor?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistersponge wrote:
Hopefully this is an appropriate place to post my dumb question, can somebody help me ID my motor? GE028590 it's in a 77 bus, but if I'm reading the chart correct its a 78 motor?

Could be, what month was your bus built?

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistersponge wrote:

Scroll down to the '77-78 model years

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php
Mistersponge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Mistersponge wrote:

Scroll down to the '77-78 model years

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

Yea, I've been looking at that, is it as easy as "my numbers are after the example posted for 77, therefore its a 78?"

I'll look for and check the m codes tomorrow for some more clues.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Stupid Question:

1970 Baywindow, pretty much bone stock and nearly complete. The spare tire (with original bias ply, now removed) rim/wheel is painted black. It appears to be factory paint.

Why would this rim alone be painted black? All the other rims/wheels are white. I cannot recall ever seeing factory painted black rims from that era.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
m.pendzick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got any good ideas on how to seal a can of POR-15 so it can be re-used? I had a tiny can of it and used most, not all of it. I put the lid back on and it wouldn't come off again. I eventually had to use snips to cut a hole in it. It's cheaper to purchase this stuff in larger quantities and I am going to be using a good amount over the life of the resurrection to my '73. I just don't want to throw good money after my mistake if I can help it. Thanks!!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m.pendzick wrote:
Has anyone got any good ideas on how to seal a can of POR-15 so it can be re-used? I had a tiny can of it and used most, not all of it. I put the lid back on and it wouldn't come off again. I eventually had to use snips to cut a hole in it. It's cheaper to purchase this stuff in larger quantities and I am going to be using a good amount over the life of the resurrection to my '73. I just don't want to throw good money after my mistake if I can help it. Thanks!!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
New Stupid Question:

1970 Baywindow, pretty much bone stock and nearly complete. The spare tire (with original bias ply, now removed) rim/wheel is painted black. It appears to be factory paint.

Why would this rim alone be painted black? All the other rims/wheels are white. I cannot recall ever seeing factory painted black rims from that era.

Rims came all black with white on the outside where it shows, maybe it's a dealer replacement?

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that most late bays have spares that are just black. I'm pretty sure all the space saver ones are black too.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 214 of 515

Jump to: