Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Westfalias didn't have the roof vent, infact early ones didn't even have a drain, you lifted the sink out of the counter and dumped it. That 71 icebox will work fine, you can cap the vent, the smaller white lid next to it is the water tank filler.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. But there is a huge hole in my floor the size of maybe 2 inches in diameter. I assumed that was the drain.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, that's for the original heater line I believe.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
Hmm. But there is a huge hole in my floor the size of maybe 2 inches in diameter. I assumed that was the drain.

The ice box had a drain line as well as the water tank, even those meticulous Germans at Westfalia weren't above butchering a larger hole to make installing the cabinet assembly easier. When the sink had a drain the hole is usually a double or oval shaped hole like an 8. They screwed a plate to the bottom with a foam seal to keep the drafts out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to get a better photo of what I have then. What I have is a big hole through my floor and then about 3 inches under that hole is an other hole through a box like contraption that finally has the hole going to the ground.

From my research it looked like it was 68 only that had the sink with no drain that required a manual dump.

Perhaps I am not understanding correctly, but can I put that sink / fridge in my bus and have both the refrigerator and sink drain through that hole and out of the bus?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smushy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[1971 Dormobile with original 1600DP/34pic]

I'm worried about the fuel line from tank to pump - my current line is going through the left side engine seal (I need new engine seals anyways), just seems like a bad place is that where it's supposed to be fed through?

Also I'd like a second filter between pump/carb, but the Bus Fire Thread has me spooked, can I just extend that fuel line over to the left side engine seal/tin and place a secured plastic filter there?

Thanks!
1973 Type2 Kombi
1977 Rabbit
1961 & 1964 Heilite Single Wheel
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be over using this thread but I did have an issue last night. Long story short my generator belt popped off and the car started to rev way higher than it should. I Inspected the throttle cable and it is not snapped. The linkage appears to not want to let it go back to idle. I had to force the linkage to a less than full throttle but I could not get it to idle at idle. Is this a common issue?

Quick video I made diagnosing the issue to make sure the throttle cable wasn't snapped.

Link

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
Sorry to be over using this thread but I did have an issue last night. Long story short my generator belt popped off and the car started to rev way higher than it should. I Inspected the throttle cable and it is not snapped. The linkage appears to not want to let it go back to idle. I had to force the linkage to a less than full throttle but I could not get it to idle at idle. Is this a common issue?

Man that is one worn out looking belt. For a very few dollars a new one to run and a second for a spare would be in order.

Did the belt knock the wire off the choke heater when it came off?
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
beatles4 wrote:

Man that is one worn out looking belt. For a very few dollars a new one to run and a second for a spare would be in order.

Did the belt knock the wire off the choke heater when it came off?

Without clogging up this thread my last post in my thread outlines the issue. That belt popped off and then destroyed itself. Currently there is a brand new belt on.
I am not sure about the choke wire. That I am still rather ignorant about as ti where it is. But my main issue is that it wont go back to idle now.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=631254&start=100

SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a brand new battery for my bus a few months back, then life crept in again and I got super busy. Never installed it, didn't even take the plastic caps off the terminals of the new battery, just sat it inside the bus behind the passenger seat. Should I have this new battery on a trickle charger? Or should it be fine due to non use?

If trickle charger is the answer, any recommendations on one to purchase?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:
Got a brand new battery for my bus a few months back, then life crept in again and I got super busy. Never installed it, didn't even take the plastic caps off the terminals of the new battery, just sat it inside the bus behind the passenger seat. Should I have this new battery on a trickle charger? Or should it be fine due to non use?

If trickle charger is the answer, any recommendations on one to purchase?

Sitting in the blistering sun is bad on a battery so charging may or may not be necessary. I leave batteries sitting with the cables disconnected for long periods all the time in a cooler climate than you probably see and the batteries seem to handle it very well. YMMV

I don't like letting a battery sit on a trickle charger continuously, I have seen a lot of batteries damaged this way. If you want to charge it from time to time that is a better idea IMO.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I need some help from you guys. All the necessary info is in my thread on the last few posts. Long story short. I was accelerating from 1st to 2nd at near shift point. Noticed engine kept increasing revs through the shift. Pulled over and the generator belt was popped off. Put belt back on. Made it mostly home and the belt destroyed itself. At that time the generator light did come on.

Still idles way way to high and continues to increase revs the longer it is on. Linkage is at idle position. We think it is the needle or float stuck spewing more gas in constantly. Thoughts?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7793246#7793246

beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a few different people it seems that my carb is fubard and need to be replaced / rebuilt. i was reading on this forum about some hate for the 30 pict 2 because of a rudimentary attempt at emissions with a screw that can't be removed. Is it worth replacing my carb with a rebuilt 30 pict 1, staying with a completely rebuilt 30 pict 2, or doing something else entirely.

Plans with the bus are road trips to far places so I want something that will be the most reliable and if possible give me a tinge more power or torque but reliability being #1.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
From a few different people it seems that my carb is fubard and need to be replaced / rebuilt. i was reading on this forum about some hate for the 30 pict 2 because of a rudimentary attempt at emissions with a screw that can't be removed. Is it worth replacing my carb with a rebuilt 30 pict 1, staying with a completely rebuilt 30 pict 2, or doing something else entirely.

Plans with the bus are road trips to far places so I want something that will be the most reliable and if possible give me a tinge more power or torque but reliability being #1.

Contat Tim and tell him all that, see what he recommends: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1715786

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smushy wrote:
[1971 Dormobile with original 1600DP/34pic]

I'm worried about the fuel line from tank to pump - my current line is going through the left side engine seal (I need new engine seals anyways), just seems like a bad place is that where it's supposed to be fed through?

Also I'd like a second filter between pump/carb, but the Bus Fire Thread has me spooked, can I just extend that fuel line over to the left side engine seal/tin and place a secured plastic filter there?

Thanks!

There's really no need for a second filter, one under the tank outlet is quite sufficient.

As for the line it goes through a grommet on the flywheel tin near the left side and around the shroud to a few inches from the pump, it clips into the 3rd slot in the LH spark plug wire clip.

Sorry, the site and search is slow today so I didn't have the patience to find a better pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Слава Україні!
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
beatles4 wrote:

Contat Tim and tell him all that, see what he recommends: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1715786

Thanks, I did contact Tim and we both agreed that my carb would need to be rebuilt by him. Now I am scratching my head at the moment figuring out if I should spend the money on getting my car rebuilt by him or spending $300 more and going to dual kadrons for my single port 1600 bus from (KadieShack)

beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys happen to know what this cylindrical thing is that is in front of my carb. Me and my friend's dad were questioning what it actually is. It appears to have some sort of vacuum line going to it. Is that vacuum or fuel related? Is it part of the carb or a separate unit? From what I have seen of people selling 30 pict 2 carbs, that part is not attached.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a throttle positioner. Really nice when you have it working.

That carb needs one hell of a cleaning though.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
It's a throttle positioner. Really nice when you have it working.

That carb needs one hell of a cleaning though.

Carb is in need of a rebuild now. But wait what does a throttle positioner do? I wonder if that is what caused my throttle to act up when my belt flew off and likely hit it.

Is it necessary to have one for the operation of my bus? The rebuilt carbs from Tim dont seem to have them.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, when you take your foot off the gas it uses vacuum power to make it nice and steady. There are some nice cut away pictures of it floating around here. And it that is a likely cause for problems.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 235, 236, 237 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 236 of 515

Jump to: