Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally tried using a brass brush and some heavy cleaner and didn't do much do it, little hesitant to put an actual wire brush or wheel to it because I wasn't sure if it would hurt it or not , do I need to worry about the rough but I'm that crease at all?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschmi wrote:
I originally tried using a brass brush and some heavy cleaner and didn't do much do it, little hesitant to put an actual wire brush or wheel to it because I wasn't sure if it would hurt it or not , do I need to worry about the rough but I'm that crease at all?

You could run a bastard file over it to break the heavy chunks of rust off, you can apply more force and cutting power that way. What you are seeing is what happens when you don't apply a thin coat of grease to the spindle after everything has been degreased as part of a bearing repack.
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alrighy I'll give it a try, thanks!!
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Stupid brake question Reply with quote

Can someone help me identify this line running into the front brake on a 79 Campmobile? I've looked at a bunch of diagrams and read the brake chapter in the Bentley manual and don't see anything about it.

This picture isn't from my bus, but I only have this line running into my front left brake.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid brake question Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
I've looked at a bunch of diagrams and read the brake chapter in the Bentley manual and don't see anything about it.

You'll want to move on to the chapter on speedometers next Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid brake question Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
Can someone help me identify this line running into the front brake on a 79 Campmobile? I've looked at a bunch of diagrams and read the brake chapter in the Bentley manual and don't see anything about it.

This picture isn't from my bus, but I only have this line running into my front left brake.

Thanks!

That is your speedometer cable, the inner end sticks out through the bearing cap and should have a little C ring holding it in place.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
You'll want to move on to the chapter on speedometers next Wink

Yay! Thanks Smile

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How should I go about restoring my bumpers? They're structurally ok, with just a couple small dents, but the paint is faded and there is surface rust.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Powder coat 'em. There's a place near me that has a paint color called "sky white" and it is a 99.99% match to "cloud white"

If the dents are an issue to you, you need some metal filler.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgbdoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks. Is there anything I can do to the surface rust?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

If the paint on it is good right now, then walnut blast it.

If the paint isn't great and you want to repaint it, sand blast or put some elbow grease on it with some sanding or some other abrasive.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eschmi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

if they're chrome get some soapy water and aluminum foil, otherwise some 220 grit sand paper will work nice if you're repainting.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

sgbdoe wrote:
How should I go about restoring my bumpers? They're structurally ok, with just a couple small dents, but the paint is faded and there is surface rust.

You didn't say what model year bus you're working on. The mid-to-late 70s buses use Pastel White, not Cloud White on their bumpers. Also, there are bumper straightening businesses that can make sure your bumpers are straight, remove dents, and sandblast the rust away. I located one near me and got back ready-to-paint, perfectly straight, dent-free bumpers.
dailyoliver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

I need to replace the front axle beam on my 1979 Westfalia. Fortunately the local wrecker's yard has managed to find me a stock replacement for ($395 CAD).

However: I have heard to my horror that not all beams are created equal?

My silly question is: Has anyone had a problem with beams that do not fit?

Quote:
All beams are not created equal! You may find that your new beam is not the exact width of the frame (mine was, but I was warned about this, so I pass it on). If the beam is too narrow, you are SOL and walking till you find a wider beam. Shocked If it is too wide, then you *must* insert shims. I was very specifically warned not to crank the bolts to tighten it to the frame, or wedge it wider, as this will distort it, and cause a fatigue failure of the beam (I dunno, but it sounded bad to me!)

http://type2.com/bartnik/beam.htm

Secondly mine has servo (cylinder type thing) - can this be fitted to the new one if it does not have one? I think I read that all post 76 beams should fit?

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this subject.

Peace -->> D/O
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Could someone either link me a photo or point me in the right direction? I am stumped. I have the original westy z bed and I can't seem to figure out how to properly mount it to the floor of the bus. While I was at a show I dug under someone else's bay bus to see but they had a big piece of wood covering up the whole area so I couldn't see.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
Could someone either link me a photo or point me in the right direction? I am stumped. I have the original westy z bed and I can't seem to figure out how to properly mount it to the floor of the bus. While I was at a show I dug under someone else's bay bus to see but they had a big piece of wood covering up the whole area so I couldn't see.

"Installation is the reverse of the removal" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291736

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

dailyoliver wrote:
Hi Guys.

I need to replace the front axle beam on my 1979 Westfalia. Fortunately the local wrecker's yard has managed to find me a stock replacement for ($395 CAD).

Quote:
All beams are not created equal! You may find that your new beam is not the exact width of the frame (mine was, but I was warned about this, so I pass it on). If the beam is too narrow, you are SOL and walking till you find a wider beam. Shocked If it is too wide, then you *must* insert shims. I was very specifically warned not to crank the bolts to tighten it to the frame, or wedge it wider, as this will distort it, and cause a fatigue failure of the beam (I dunno, but it sounded bad to me!)

Secondly mine has servo (cylinder type thing) - can this be fitted to the new one if it does not have one? I think I read that all post 76 beams should fit?

Peace -->> D/O

I've never heard of an undamaged beam being so far off it wouldn't fit an undamaged bus with a minimum of prying and jacking. They are all built on a jig as well as the bus frame, Germans are obsessive about flawless interchangeability, as long as it's a mid 1970 or newer beam it'll fit the frame. If it lacks the mount for the booster it may be for an earlier bus, check the mounting hole pattern carefully first. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151765 a capable welder can swap the booster mount over, if it's pre 73 you'll also have to swap the spindles and brakes.

Слава Україні!
dailyoliver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Just the answer I was looking for thank you busdaddy. I think this should fit then.

Big thumbs up to you guys --> peace D/O

busdaddy wrote:
dailyoliver wrote:
Hi Guys.

Quote:

Peace -->> D/O

I've never heard of an undamaged beam being so far off it wouldn't fit an undamaged bus with a minimum of prying and jacking. They are all built on a jig as well as the bus frame, Germans are obsessive about flawless interchangeability, as long as it's a mid 1970 or newer beam it'll fit the frame. If it lacks the mount for the booster it may be for an earlier bus, check the mounting hole pattern carefully first. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151765 a capable welder can swap the booster mount over, if it's pre 73 you'll also have to swap the spindles and brakes.
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
beatles4 wrote:

"Installation is the reverse of the removal" http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291736

This was the photo that just said, remove the bolts.

I don't have that piece of wood on the bottom and I don't know if I have enough of the floor brackets or not. Maybe early bay is weird or maybe I am missing pieces.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
maybe I am missing pieces.

Sure sounds that way. Got pics of yours?

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 250 of 515

Jump to: