Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cdxnolan wrote:
https://youtu.be/ybRffMb7UgY

My timing seems to be jittery, jumping forward and back. While driving, there is loss of power and stumbling on acceleration and art constant speed. Ideas?

Make sure that all the fiber and metal thrust washers are in place between the dog gear on the end of the dizzy shaft and the dizzy body. If the gear moves up and down more than a smiggen then you have thrust washers missing either outside or inside the distributor.

You also need to verify that the dog is fitted properly into the slot on the drive. If you don't get them mated you may still be able to get the engine to run, but you will have everything in a bind so that the timing jumps all over the place.

You may also want to lube the upper bushing in the distributor. When I have my distributor out to change the points I lay it on its side and work oil into the hole in the side with the idea that the lube will reach the upper bushing more readily this way than when the dizzy is upright and installed.

Do add a few drops of oil to the felt under the rotor if you have not done so, this oil lubes the mechanical advance mechanism. There are other distributor lube points shown in the manual as well.
cdxnolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
cdxnolan wrote:

My timing seems to be jittery, jumping forward and back. While driving, there is loss of power and stumbling on acceleration and art constant speed. Ideas?

Your video link does not work.

A little info would yelp
Bus
Year
Engine Type Type I or Type IV
Distributor numbers and manufacturer
Carburetor make model or is it FI

Start with a complete tune up.
Set
Valves Lifters Hydraulic or Solid ?
Plugs
Dwell - Lubing the Distributor
Timing=28* hoses off at full advance

Good luck
Tcash

68 camper with t1 engine
009 Bosch
Weber progressive 32/36

Just did valves, might be plugs because they are a few thousand miles old and engine has been running rich? Need to check dwell but away from bus now... Dist is lubes and timing is right
cdxnolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
cdxnolan wrote:

Make sure that all the fiber and metal thrust washers are in place between the dog gear on the end of the dizzy shaft and the dizzy body. If the gear moves up and down more than a smiggen then you have thrust washers missing either outside or inside the distributor.

You also need to verify that the dog is fitted properly into the slot on the drive. If you don't get them mated you may still be able to get the engine to run, but you will have everything in a bind so that the timing jumps all over the place.

You may also want to lube the upper bushing in the distributor. When I have my distributor out to change the points I lay it on its side and work oil into the hole in the side with the idea that the lube will reach the upper bushing more readily this way than when the dizzy is upright and installed.

Do add a few drops of oil to the felt under the rotor if you have not done so, this oil lubes the mechanical advance mechanism. There are other distributor lube points shown in the manual as well.

Any info on dog gear? Google search yields pet supplies
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What makes you think it is timing?

Take the Dist. cap off and grab ahold of the rotor. Turn it clockwise untill it stops, then release it. It should move freely in both directions with no binding. Know pull up and down on the rotor. Is there a lot of up and down play in the dist shaft?

Put your timing light on it. Increase and decrease the rpm while watching the mark. The mark should move smoothly through the rpm changes and not momentarily get stuck.

Could be a fuel problem.
Change the fuel filter. Might be one hidden under the bus as well.
Drain the gas tank and Clean the fuel tank strainer.

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cdxnolan wrote:

Any info on dog gear? Google search yields pet supplies

A dog gear is the course set of teeth on the end of a shaft used to lock two shafts to each other.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1402318
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Pie shaped cutout in the hub flange Reply with quote

What is the Pie shaped cutout in the hub flange for?

Thanks
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

So you can wrangle the brake shoes over it when they are assembled with thier springs as a unit.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Huh. I've always wondered if it was enough of a cutout to affect balance. I'm sure VW considered it; perhaps it's just close enough to the ale not to matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdxnolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well, I replaced the plugs and filter, put conditioner in the tank, checked the points, checked the timing and advance, checked the play in the rotor. I don't think it's a poorly installed distributor because the bus ran okay until a few days ago.
The problem remains. When I accelerate, there is no power at low rpms, at mid rpms it gains power but stutters, and at high rpms it loses power and continues stuttering. Fuel pump? Dirty carb? Choke on the fritz? On that last point: the choke was disabled by PO, and as I'm trying to re enable it, I've removed the choke cover/spring assembly, so the rod is exposed and unattached. Would that be the stupid move that is causing all this?

Edit: I just replaced the choke assembly, and the problem persists. Additional clue: I THINK plugs 2 and 4 were ashy (rich) when I removed them, where as 1 and 3 were nice and brown. I may have hallucinated this, but if it jibes with anyone's theory, well...
cdxnolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a way to test fuel pressure without gauge?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cdxnolan wrote:
Is there a way to test fuel pressure without gauge?

You can only check the delivery capacity (volume) of the pump.

Pull the hose off the fuel pump from the gas tank. Gas should be flowing good. If it is not. Time to clean the tank strainer.
Another sign of low fuel pressure, is if it runs good while parked. But when you get it out on the road it acts up.

Good luck
Tcash
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
What is the Pie shaped cutout in the hub flange for?

It allows access to the bolts at the adjuster block, and the bolt holding the wheel cylinder on (up thru '71).

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:

It allows access to the bolts at the adjuster block, and the bolt holding the wheel cylinder on (up thru '71).

Huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Everett,
Will we ever get a Subaru swap specific section? Just wondering....
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
cdxnolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I think I have an air leak in my intake manifold. One can check this using wd40 or propane, yes? But the catch is: when I spray either or both into the carb throat, there is no effect on rpms. What gives?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cdxnolan wrote:
I think I have an air leak in my intake manifold. One can check this using wd40 or propane, yes? But the catch is: when I spray either or both into the carb throat, there is no effect on rpms. What gives?

If your mixture is close to stochiometric then adding more fuel isn't going to do much.
JoeDigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone figured out a smart way to replace a broken handle on the icebox cabinet door? I have carefully peeled back a bit of the icebox plastic lining on the door but I didn't want to continue until I asked you guys if there was a trick to it, before I damaged the plastic. I couldn't see the heads of the screws behind the plastic lining. Those 3 or 4 metal pieces that are behind the seal are just a type of mounting hardware for the seal with old glue on them

Thanks for the help!

Joe
cdxnolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
cdxnolan wrote:

If your mixture is close to stochiometric then adding more fuel isn't going to do much.

Bingo! I leaned out the mixture via the screw on the back of the carb, and it started responding to propane gas down the carb throat. Good call wildthings. Still, I couldn't find any leaks in the manifold that way. The exhaust is still very rich, it's fouling plugs 1/2 but not 3/4, it dies on acceleration under no choke, and will accelerate under full choke but has little 'blips' of momentary power loss, like split seconds.
009 dist and Weber progressive.
I've set valves points and timing, set the choke, checked for spark and compression, verified TDC and gas to carb, cleaned the carb out, new fuel lines and filter, fresh gas, new plugs... I'm pulling my hair out here. Any ideas?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

cdxnolan wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
cdxnolan wrote:

Bingo! I leaned out the mixture via the screw on the back of the carb, and it started responding to propane gas down the carb throat. Good call wildthings. Still, I couldn't find any leaks in the manifold that way. The exhaust is still very rich, it's fouling plugs 1/2 but not 3/4, it dies on acceleration under no choke, and will accelerate under full choke but has little 'blips' of momentary power loss, like split seconds.
009 dist and Weber progressive.
I've set valves points and timing, set the choke, checked for spark and compression, verified TDC and gas to carb, cleaned the carb out, new fuel lines and filter, fresh gas, new plugs... I'm pulling my hair out here. Any ideas?

Smoke tester
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7568752#7568752
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 252 of 515

Jump to: