Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

bwh wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
bwh wrote:
I'm pushing down to get to reverse, but it just not getting there anymore. I've put about 6000 miles on the bus since I got it and just lost reverse out of the blue one day.

My coupler does wiggle from side to side like the video. The bushings don't look beautiful but they all seem to be intact to me.

Thanks for the help, guys

Brian

Buy a quality coupling, maybe from a place like CB Performance or Bow Wow. CIP1 has quite the selection so I am sure that at least one or two of what they sell are decent ones, but which ones I can say. Don't know about what Bus Depot sells, perhaps others will comment.

Thanks! The bus depot looks pretty weak. Think I'll look around at the others.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6110
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-3595-HD
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1252462
http://carcraftstore.com/heavydutyshiftcoupler.aspx
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Not a question, but falls under the 'stupid' category Smile

I have been working on my 78 Westy in the garage with a small electric heater inside to keep things warm while I work.

The latest thing I have been doing is gluing the peeling laminate back down on the table.

I have been going back and forth for three days, gluing, clamping and leaving to dry with the heater on and then driving home from work yesterday I realized that the table is removable (facepalm).

Why I had not brought the table inside to work on is beyond me. The old grey cells are not what they used to be.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

well you did get to spend some quality time with the westy.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
well you did get to spend some quality time with the westy.

True Smile
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alright stupid question time, could the alternator blow the power to the whole bus? I just got Layla back from the shop and she has been running great, but needed a new alternator. I bought one from the shop and decided to put it in myself. I get everything pulled out and switched over just fine and as I am hooking the battery back up the red wire sparks quite a bit and I thought I saw a small puff of smoke from that side of the engine (I was crammed in there with the battery connecting the cable and it was cold so not sure on that). When I went to go and start it to test the new alternator, nothing. I've checked my fuses, wires, grounds. I know everything is clean as it was running great an hour beforehand. I tried checking both batteries but my digital multimeter seems damaged and I have been waiting for it to die honestly, I have a volt setting on my dwell/tachometer so I tried that and it also read zero on the battery...could it have killed the battery? I am going to buy a new multimeter and have both batteries tested and charged first thing in the morning.

Is there anything else I should check? Could the sparking have destroyed something in the wiring harness? If something happened to the alternator during the ordeal could that shut down all the power in the bus? Thanks for any help guys!
EDIT: Also just read up that these rebuilt alternators have too long of studs, I did not check for this and could have been that possible puff of smoke, still raises the question could this cut the buses power totally?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The red/white wire on Terminal 30 on B the starter supplies power to the ignition switch. Make sure it is not fried.
Note the red wire that goes from terminal 30 on B starter to B+ on C the Alt. is usually what fries.
click on pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78_key.jpg

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DrKamikazi wrote:
Alright stupid question time, could the alternator blow the power to the whole bus? I just got Layla back from the shop and she has been running great, but needed a new alternator. I bought one from the shop and decided to put it in myself. I get everything pulled out and switched over just fine and as I am hooking the battery back up the red wire sparks quite a bit and I thought I saw a small puff of smoke from that side of the engine (I was crammed in there with the battery connecting the cable and it was cold so not sure on that). When I went to go and start it to test the new alternator, nothing. I've checked my fuses, wires, grounds. I know everything is clean as it was running great an hour beforehand. I tried checking both batteries but my digital multimeter seems damaged and I have been waiting for it to die honestly, I have a volt setting on my dwell/tachometer so I tried that and it also read zero on the battery...could it have killed the battery? I am going to buy a new multimeter and have both batteries tested and charged first thing in the morning.

Is there anything else I should check? Could the sparking have destroyed something in the wiring harness? If something happened to the alternator during the ordeal could that shut down all the power in the bus? Thanks for any help guys!
EDIT: Also just read up that these rebuilt alternators have too long of studs, I did not check for this and could have been that possible puff of smoke, still raises the question could this cut the buses power totally?

It is possible you just left the #30 wire to the fuse box off the stud on the starter solenoid when you were putting things back together, pretty common error to make. Yes you need to address the overly long studs on the alternator. Hopefully you have not damaged your new alternator yet.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Take a look at this
Alternator Type IV (4)
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I am for sure going to pull the alternator out and fix the posts/check all the wires regardless of the batteries situation. Going to get the batteries tested and get a new mulitmeter now. Whats the best way to check for fried wires besides obvious visual indicators?

Also Wildthings I didn't take any of the connections for the starter off. All I did was pull the sheet metal around the alternator and swap the alternators out. Should I have been disconnecting the starter? I have changed/pulled the alternator in this thing a couple times before and never messed with the starter connections.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DrKamikazi wrote:
Thanks guys! I am for sure going to pull the alternator out and fix the posts/check all the wires regardless of the batteries situation. Going to get the batteries tested and get a new mulitmeter now. Whats the best way to check for fried wires besides obvious visual indicators?

Also Wildthings I didn't take any of the connections for the starter off. All I did was pull the sheet metal around the alternator and swap the alternators out. Should I have been disconnecting the starter? I have changed/pulled the alternator in this thing a couple times before and never messed with the starter connections.

No you don't need to pull the wires from the starter, but that is how some people do it.

You may well have a corroded connection on your battery or elsewhere in the system
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok so both batteries tested good! Got the alternator out and cut the studs down. The B+ wires were burned just right at the connection so I cut them off behind the cover and am in the process of wiring new ones in (tons of fun crimping 8 gauge in that little space). All the wires going to the plug and starter and voltage regulator look good to go, also the alternator looks ok. Anything else I can check or test? My only plan now is to plug the alternator in with the new wires and hope it works...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I melted down a wiring harness and burnt up a brand new alternator because of this problem 10ish years ago now, yet Bosch still hasn't corrected the problem. I wonder how many people have had their vehicles damaged over this in the intervening years. Sad that the management at Bosch just doesn't seem to care about their reputation any more.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DrKamikazi wrote:
Ok so both batteries tested good! Got the alternator out and cut the studs down. The B+ wires were burned just right at the connection so I cut them off behind the cover and am in the process of wiring new ones in (tons of fun crimping 8 gauge in that little space). All the wires going to the plug and starter and voltage regulator look good to go, also the alternator looks ok. Anything else I can check or test? My only plan now is to plug the alternator in with the new wires and hope it works...

Exchange it where you bought it. I would say it is a manufacturing defect.

Or take the alternator to a parts store or Automotive electric shop and have it tested before you put it back in.

Good luck
Tcash
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Got the alternator wired up and shes charging!! Thanks so much for all the help guys! Hopefully Layla is ready for many more miles of adventure!!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DrKamikazi wrote:
Got the alternator wired up and shes charging!! Thanks so much for all the help guys! Hopefully Layla is ready for many more miles of adventure!!

That is great glad to hear it.

Here is info.
Alternator Type IV (4)
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Last weekend while bleeding the brakes, I noticed the pedal making some pretty awful squeaking noises. I have the day off, and after taking care of a few errands I'm planning on removing the splash guard and taking a look at the pedal assembly. Any tips or gotcha's I should watch out for before I get under there?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:
Last weekend while bleeding the brakes, I noticed the pedal making some pretty awful squeaking noises. I have the day off, and after taking care of a few errands I'm planning on removing the splash guard and taking a look at the pedal assembly. Any tips or gotcha's I should watch out for before I get under there?

The old dried out seal where the arm for the pedal passes through the floor can create a grating noise.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SixStringMadMan wrote:

The old dried out seal where the arm for the pedal passes through the floor can create a grating noise.

Or worn pivot bushings, or a dry worn clevis pin, if you've never done it now's the time to dismantle/clean/lube all the mechanisms.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
SixStringMadMan wrote:

Or worn pivot bushings, or a dry worn clevis pin, if you've never done it now's the time to dismantle/clean/lube all the mechanisms.

Never done it, and that's the plan. Is there a tutorial anywhere? Or is it pretty straight forward using the Bentley?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SixStringMadMan wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
SixStringMadMan wrote:

Never done it, and that's the plan. Is there a tutorial anywhere? Or is it pretty straight forward using the Bentley?

The Bentley has an exploded parts diagram but nothing else useful. Be aware of the rubber o-rings that seal the pedal shaft; don't ruin them, but clean them and everything else before reinstalling. When you're taking it apart, note the order of assembly, because once the pedal spring sproings, you're going to have parts everywhere. If your shit is dirty, wear safely glasses because it can fling crap in your face. Good luck getting the spring assembly back in; I found a quiet and uninterrupted work atmosphere to be better than a helper. You'll need a few good size screwdrivers or brake spoons to find one that lets you preload the spring enough. Have some medium to fine sandpaper hand too, so you can lightly cross-hatch the pivot pin after cleaning it, then clean it again. Smile There are one or two nylon spacer/running blocks in the assembly. I flipped mine so I'll get fresh wear surfaces for the next 47 years.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 260 of 515

Jump to: