Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kile11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 78 Westy 2.0L FI bus. My bus stalls at somewhat random times. I can make it do it most every time after I go up a steep hill then let go of the gas. It does it whether the engine is cold or hot. sometimes it does it on flat ground when stopped at a stop light. There is no real warning, only notice when the gas pedal doesn't work anymore. I've changed the fuel filter, not much of a difference. Recently I've put in a new thermostat. Hopefully you guys have some answers.
Thanks
kile11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

oh, I forgot to say that it takes forever to start after, but when it does, seems fine.
dlxkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My bus was doing the same kind of thing. It turned out to be the paper gasket from the lid of a bottle of fuel additive (I'm assuming) that was sloshing around in the tank. I decided to check the tank after not being able to find any restrictions anywhere else in the fuel system. Luckily I had access to a bore scope, which I stuck in the tank by removing the sending unit for the fuel gauge (which I'd cut already cut an access hole to get to). The gasket was sitting right next to the outlet of the tank which is surrounded by a baffle.
The heavens opened and chorus of angels played a fanfare when I found that thing!
I got it out by spearing it with a sharpened piece of welding rod.
dlxkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kile11 wrote:
oh, I forgot to say that it takes forever to start after, but when it does, seems fine.

That is exactly when I found the gasket. My engine wouldn't start in the driveway one day. It turned out to be a blessing - as it made it easy to find the obstacle (since it was obviously right at the outlet of the tank - blocking it)
dlxkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I posted the bore scope picture here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6699153&highlight=#6699153
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Architect1122 wrote:
Should I feel comfortable using this?

Yep, nothing wrong with fuel hose for short vacuum connections.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kile11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks dlxkey,
Bought a tank today just in case I need to replace it. Will try looking in my tank next week. I had a suspicion it would come down to that. Sadly I have no access hole.
77VWBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

When I was chasing a similar problem, I ran a fuel hose all the way up to the drivers seat from the test port on the fuel rail, so I could monitor the pressure 'real time' (with a test gauge) ghetto style lol

Yeah, I don't have any friends lol
tymbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What is this and can I remove it? (in the red). Its off a type 4 motor i think its a AW California motor that had smog on it. The other this is there is a air tube that is above it (in the yellow circle). My engine tin from my 2.0 type 4 doesn't have hole for it. Thanks for the help

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rust is time consuming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

That is your fuel pump and aircleaner preheat tube, if you have a carburetor you'll miss those if they are gone.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
tymbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That is your fuel pump and aircleaner preheat tube, if you have a carburetor you'll miss those if they are gone.

I am going to be using a progressive Weber carb. I just picked up this engine and will be trying to get it to run this weekend. Is there an advantage of the mechanical pump over the electric on I just bought? What am I missing with the preheat tube and what does that look like.
Thanks for the help

Rust is time consuming
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The mechanical pump always makes the correct pressure and stops the fuel flow when parked, most electric pumps produce too much pressure without an external regulator and allow fuel to gravity feed past that Weber's sometimes weak needle and seat and fill the crankcase with gas.

As for the preheat it'll make it run way better, here's some reading on how you fabricate the system yourself: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259629&highlight=cookie+tin

Слава Україні!
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hey Guys, help a brother out. I removed my engine last fall, did not label wires, so six months later I have a wiring question. I believe I know the answer but I would like confirmation before I hook it up and fry something. Better to look stupid than try to put out a fire. The wire that comes from the passenger side, 2 wires, green goes to oil pressure sensor. Does the black wire go to the hot coil ??? And what does it do ? I did look at a wiring diagram but could not figure it out. Thanks in advance Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

HelmutofBuffalo wrote:
Does the black wire go to the hot coil ??? And what does it do ?.

It does, and it supplies unfused power from the ignition switch. Make sure it's on terminal #15 where all the other black wires are attached, like the ones from the choke heater and cutoff solenoid.

But be careful, that electronic ignition may have a black wire that's a ground or points trigger (unlike the VW green one), in that case or with Pertronix the black wire from the distributor goes on the opposite terminal, read the instructions for the ignition system to find out what goes where.

Слава Україні!
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy. The electronic coil is all set, that had a dedicated wire I was able to match easily. BTW that electric coil works great!
Oh !! unfused power to what ?
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This has been bothering me for a while. What color is my bus supposed to be. It is a 69 Camper and as far as I can tell here that would correspond to l282 Lotus White. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Makes sense fine. However, when I look up my m code plate. It says Paint Color - L87 - Perl White Remark : Westfalia

So is my car Lotus White or Perl White?

Also for some reason my rear view mirror on the inside of the bus is the 1968 style even thought that was a one year only, but my doors don't have the funky 68 only push button nor is my pop top a 68 style. My bus very much is a 69.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

The body is L87, The bumpers and wheels are L282.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I thought wheels and bumpers were cloud white.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have seen half a dozen 1969 buses, all Westfalia models, with white paint different from the listings here on The Samba. Whatever your m-code says it what you were delivered with.

When VW made the transition to model year changes like the rear view mirror, it's possible that they wanted to use up all their old supply of metal stalk mirrors before they went to the new style. I don't think VW would have thrown out thousands of perfectly good mirrors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mine is a '70 that I owned since new. I have a spray can of L87 (pearl white) that I have used many times on the body and a "touch-up" bottle of L282 (lotus white) that was used on the wheels and bumpers in the past. I just looked at the color page and perhaps they are not addressing the campmobile. I have not viewed my "m" plate translation in a while but as I remember it concurred with what I have stated.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 269 of 515

Jump to: