Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 294, 295, 296 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Following up on the Ignition Switch ordeal, you CAN replace and install a new switch into the lock cylinder while its still in the column.
Thank you all for the great help, encouragement, and the timely responses. Heading out in the morning tomorrow for Eureka Springs!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Following up on the Ignition Switch ordeal, you CAN replace and install a new switch into the lock cylinder while its still in the column.
Thank you all for the great help, encouragement, and the timely responses. Heading out in the morning tomorrow for Eureka Springs!

The next one will go a LOT easier, huh?
BTW, Being an electrician and considering that a 1987 Westy is my daily driver, I have had a switch fail on me when I was not in my shop. (exact same switch, btw).
I simply pulled the connector off the switch, built a hot wire device with my wire strippers, some #14 solid wire and one red wire nut connector. All without leaving my driver's seat, since a piece of wire was lying within arm's reach. 4 wires maybe 4 inch long, wire nutted together . Stab into the switch connector for the black connector, the black yellow, then the big red battery wire. Then (PUSH IN THE CLUTCH) TOUCH the last wire red/black to the starter wire till it starts. Then when it starts, bend this last wire clear of touching anything else.
Oh, TURN ON THE KEY IF YOU FEEL THAT HAVING STEERING MIGHT BE NECESSARY! Sometime I will take a picture of this rig. It now lives under my seat.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

The next one will go a LOT easier, huh?
BTW, Being an electrician and considering that a 1987 Westy is my daily driver, I have had a switch fail on me when I was not in my shop. (exact same switch, btw).
I simply pulled the connector off the switch, built a hot wire device with my wire strippers, some #14 solid wire and one red wire nut connector. All without leaving my driver's seat, since a piece of wire was lying within arm's reach. 4 wires maybe 4 inch long, wire nutted together . Stab into the switch connector for the black connector, the black yellow, then the big red battery wire. Then (PUSH IN THE CLUTCH) TOUCH the last wire red/black to the starter wire till it starts. Then when it starts, bend this last wire clear of touching anything else.
Oh, TURN ON THE KEY IF YOU FEEL THAT HAVING STEERING MIGHT BE NECESSARY! Sometime I will take a picture of this rig. It now lives under my seat.
Al

Much easier if you have a spare ignition switch in the glove box. Just plug the spare switch into the harness, use just about any key to turn it, and drive off. Yes, do remember to unlock the steering, as it is embarrassing to run off the road. Crying or Very sad
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Much easier if you have a spare ignition switch in the glove box. Just plug the spare switch into the harness, use just about any key to turn it, and drive off. Yes, do remember to unlock the steering, as it is embarrassing to run off the road. Crying or Very sad

Yeah, the switches are so expensive! I did not have to drive that far to realize the steering wheel was locked. Kinda like finding yourself in handcuffs. Not good.
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
XXX/Rx/RnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Got a bonded title on the 77' bus that I got that had the engine fire. Runs good. Couldn't get the fi to work and 2 shops in town had no luck. So put on duel carbs. Since the first of the year my 78' not running. Tried everything. I've had it running off and on switching parts out. No place in Phoenix that I know of I would take it to. Two vw shops that I took the 77' to were clueless to how to fix the fi on that one. Carbs will end up on the 78' soon. Got enough fi parts for bout 4 engines now. sos
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

XXX/Rx/RnR wrote:
Got a bonded title on the 77' bus that I got that had the engine fire. Runs good. Couldn't get the fi to work and 2 shops in town had no luck. So put on duel carbs. Since the first of the year my 78' not running. Tried everything. I've had it running off and on switching parts out. No place in Phoenix that I know of I would take it to. Two vw shops that I took the 77' to were clueless to how to fix the fi on that one. Carbs will end up on the 78' soon. Got enough fi parts for bout 4 engines now. sos

Great rant, now what's your question?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

XXX/Rx/RnR wrote:

How much is this all gonna cost you? You could have Colin come by and fix it ALL in a couple days.
Al
Vanagons:
kile11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

my 78 westy automatic transmission died in bozeman montana. Too much pressure and it blew a vent on the top with lots of atf leaking. the shop i have it at says i need a rebuild. The rebuilt transmission is from oregon (anyone know if this transmission place is any good? sorry didn't get the name). I live in Calgary Alberta and have a place that is offering to do it for around $1500 less. does anyone have recommendations for rebuilding an automatic transmission for a 78 bus around Calgary? Or should i just get the bozeman shop to do their thing?
Thanks
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kile11 wrote:
my 78 westy automatic transmission died in bozeman montana. Too much pressure and it blew a vent on the top with lots of atf leaking. the shop i have it at says i need a rebuild. The rebuilt transmission is from oregon (anyone know if this transmission place is any good? sorry didn't get the name). I live in Calgary Alberta and have a place that is offering to do it for around $1500 less. does anyone have recommendations for rebuilding an automatic transmission for a 78 bus around Calgary? Or should i just get the bozeman shop to do their thing?
Thanks

Not rocket science, unlike the Eurovan automatics!
there is a nice write up somewhere about a guy rebuilding one on a picnic table during a VW campout a few years back. Your local guy should be able to do a fine job if he can fix other trannies. Parts might be sourced differently, but it is an 010 and several VW and Audi models use it. Most all the parts are the same, especially the clutches, bands and seals. That's usually all you need.
Vanagons:
airforceSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Did you go to the small car clinic in Belgrade, MT? He is the 2nd best VW expert and if you can I would go to sports and imports in great falls, MT. He is the god of VW engines.
tymbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Trying to dye my curtians on my '79 Westy and I need to know what type of fabric they used for them? Is it polyester?

Rust is time consuming
kile11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Yes, went to small car clinic. He had a three week wait, so he referred me to auto stop. Now trying to figure a trailer to truck it home, a friend is lending his truck. I'll save around $2000 fixing it up here in Calgary.
Captain Moustache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Are the long and short block the same on a type 1 and a type 4 motor ?
I know the type 1 should have the mustache mar mounts but I'm trying to find a type 1 block and it's hard to tell the difference only by looking at the pictures.

Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Captain Moustache wrote:
I know the type 1 should have the mustache mar mounts but I'm trying to find a type 1 block and it's hard to tell the difference only by looking at the pictures.

Thanks.

They are entirely different engines. The Type 1 has a place to bolt the generator stand, while in the same location the Type 4 has the raised area where the crankcase ventilation box is clamped on. The locations where the oil coolers attach is also very different.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tymbo wrote:
Trying to dye my curtians on my '79 Westy and I need to know what type of fabric they used for them? Is it polyester?

Yes - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419412

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Captain Moustache wrote:

Thanks.

Or perhaps you mean type 3? Type 3's are quite similar and using a type 3 and converting the dip stick is one way to get a type 1 case that has the hanger holes needed for a 68-71 bus.
Type 4 was a little bit large motor that was used in type 4's and Porsche 914's, then pretty much all US market buses from 1973-79. And 80-83 Vanagons with some differences.
Al
Vanagons:
Captain Moustache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

No, I really meant type 4. I can tell the difference when I see a whole engine but I can't when I only see the block.
So either I've only been seeing blocks of the same type or I'm dumb and can't tell the difference.
If someone had a picture it would really help.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Type 1 has 4 studs or bolt holes surrounding the square area where the generator stand mounts, type 4 has a rectangular hole with no studs or bolt holes surrounding it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Captain Moustache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Alright the difference is indeed pretty obvious, all the blocks I found are type 1 (that's why I couldn't see the difference).

Thanks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Type 1 style block:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 4 block:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 294, 295, 296 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 295 of 515

Jump to: