Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sweaty Case!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastorange72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Sweaty Case! Reply with quote

Okay, what I am working with is a CB Supercase less than 10 years old, with very few miles on it. I had issues originally with oil leaks at the pushrod tubes and drips at the case savers as the case savers were installed without any sealant between them and the case. I refreshed the engine over the winter with a new cam and assembled everything very carefully this time around, with CurilT, K2, or Dirko sealant. CurilT under every nut, bolt, washer, between case halves, Dirko under cylinder bases.

The oil still found its way out! How? I haven't dropped the engine yet to verify other areas, but the most obvious area is pictured. The case itself is allowing oil to pass through Mad The first pic is cold, cleaned. The second pic is not even warmed up yet. It is much worse after only 10 minutes of driving.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am looking for ideas on my options here, obviously other than a new case because$$$. Fuel tank sealer has been recommended, but my concern with that is if oil has permeated the case, how permanent will that be(exterior application)? If it fails and flakes off and ends up in my oil it could be really, really bad(interior application) plus this is a lot of work without a guaranteed success.
In the attached pics, the area is right above the dipstick under the generator stand. I am running a tower breather with an air filter on top and a 1/2" hose routed under the engine. Any ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks!
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the case is pourous , I would clean it very good and put a coat or two of this on it
http://www.eastwood.com/glyptal-red-brush-on-1-qt....MgodqF8A3A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastorange72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any personal experience with this? Just want to be sure of it's abilities before I dive in.

Also, does anybody have recommendations for cleaning the case? Should I have it done professionally? I'm not sure pressure washing it will remove all the oil deposits successfully...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stuff is great for iron but not sure if it would work for mag.
I'd use the stuff that is recommended for sealing porous cylinder heads.
go to goodson and search porosity, I think they sell the ceramic and the other one. The stuff usually seems to work.

Maybe you can clean it yourself but you need strong detergent and it needs to be hot to really get it fully de-greased.
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastorange72 wrote:
Do you have any personal experience with this? Just want to be sure of it's abilities before I dive in.

Also, does anybody have recommendations for cleaning the case? Should I have it done professionally? I'm not sure pressure washing it will remove all the oil deposits successfully...

Ive used it on an aluminum motorcycle engine case before...but now a VW. I wouldnt hesitate trying it if I get in the same spot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La-co O epoxy tabs are made just for such applications. No need to clean case as they cure with oil. Works great. Google. If you cant locate some I have a few packs... http://www.laco.com/repair-sealants/epoxy-tabs-type-o-/
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds sort of like POR Putty

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: