Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need real life input on this engine build. Please! :-)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: I need real life input on this engine build. Please! :-) Reply with quote

I have never driven a VW before. Bought a 74 super; engine was toast. I live in Florida and plan to drive this daily. This is my list of parts... Help me cobb together a reliable, spirited, engine.. I suppose this comes down to CAM... MPG vs Performance. I do not know what works and what doesn't.. in real world terms.

Used parts: 113.101.375A heads - bone stock.

New in box:
AA 88 slip in's
CB 74mm crank
Stock length H-beam rods
Straight cut gears
AS41 case
31mm tappets (cb performance)
bugpack 32mm oil filter/pump (3 bolt style)
2X Dells, 36mm + manifold/hex bar link

I wonder what it would be like to ride in a VW bug rigged with a mileage cam like a CB2228 vs a W110 or my old Bugpack 4062-10. Are they two different animals really? On a small displacement engine putting out very little to begin with.. how different could it really be?? Confused
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: bug Reply with quote

Superdude your list willgrow but it is a good start.Ditch the 32mm filter pump. Just a bad design all aroud.Full flow the case use a 26 mm pump do an external filter and cooler with quality lines.Cam and lifters must play well together.CB lightweight lifters are greatquality and value.Lots of good knowelgable people on this site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about mileage so much, with those carbs a more radical cam does not necessarily make any difference, MAGIC carbs Wink

Just think about what kind of powerband it needs, and make sure the compression ratio does match the cam you choose. Some DIY porting may be worthwile with an engle 100 cam or more.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sell the stock length rods and use some 5.325" ones, will save you a hassle on the shimmage, and prevent you from having to buy longer push rods.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dump the 88 slip ins as well. Not good if you want the engine to last, especially in a hot climate like Florida.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: bug Reply with quote

Get a good concise shopping list and read up decide what type of application and power and you want and then step up.It is a gas to choose an engine and build it then drive it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also go with machine in 88s or 90.5s. Nothing wrong with a filter pump for an easy add on filter. I ran a CB one for 15 years on my 1776 without issue, and they were standard equipment on Mexican Beetles for years. I'd go with 28mm lifters, really no need for wider than that on a small cam.

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: I need real life input on this engine build. Please! :-) Reply with quote

I'd use 94s if the case has case savers, 90.5s if it doesn't. Fischer Buggies can do the case/head machining.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: