Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digital Distributor
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
I can't even get wiper blades locally.

Just cut a long one in half, like everyone else. Cool

No need... i have a spare set. Just like I have spare cap/rotor/points/condenser in case i need them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare parts are for systems prone to fail. Mine never will, since there's nothing to wear out. Cool

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Spare parts are for systems prone to fail. Mine never will, since there's nothing to wear out. Cool

What's the fun in that?

So you're saying that electronics never fail? Seriously?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mini,
wasn't it you that not to long ago had kept having injector problems and then to come to find out you had a problem with your electronic board?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Proximity sensors go bad. Just ask anyone who ever had a crank or cam position sensor or ABS sensor fail on a modern car.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love the gadgets. I wanted to get the digital but it wasn't advised. I'm sure as soon as the bugs are worked out between the digital distributor and the quick tune are hammered out, I'll go that route. Or crank triggered Laughing
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
wasn't it you that not to long ago had kept having injector problems and then to come to find out you had a problem with your electronic board?

We're talking ignition parts here, try to keep up.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i know, but your board has no moving parts and it wore out. That was my point.
Things can and do wear out even parts that are non-moving parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
Yes i know, but your board has no moving parts and it wore out. That was my point.
Things can and do wear out even parts that are non-moving parts.

My only complaint about solid state equipment(non-moving parts) is that they usually fail without any warning, that's why I keep that POS .009 as a spare. I really thought the negitive info about the .009 was just BS until now.

Last edited by JasonBaker on Thu May 19, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, good old 009 for me also. And an extra set of points and condensor! Laughing
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="craigman"]Yes i know, but your board has no moving parts and it wore out.[quote]

You're confusing my fuel injection computer for my ignition system, they have nothing in common besides 2 wires. If you want to split hairs, it failed because of an overvoltage condition over a long period of time (years). Had it not happened, I would never have known about an issue with the alternator.

Quote:
That was my point. Things can and do wear out even parts that are non-moving parts.

My point stands, the ignition is bulletproof. I would trust EDIS 1,000 times before I'd ever go back to caveman style points.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
RanX0R0X
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
With EFI you might gain a tiny bit of power. If your running carbs your wasting your money on all that hi-tech electronics.

I agree.

For me it wasn't a matter of gaining power. It was gaining the stability and eliminating variables from the tuning of the engine.

It helped me considerably as I was having problems that seemed to be both from fuel delivery and ignition. I'm not an aircooled Guru like you guys so running down a multivariate problem like that was going to be difficult. It's difficult in software engineering where I've been working for over 20 years and know the "smells" of code failures.

One criticism that has been leveled at the electronics is that they are fail fast. That is, if a capacitor pops and lets its smoke out, the ignition quits working. I'd rather have that then chugging and bogging or dying when I'm accelerating and not not knowing why.

If the electronic dizzy is working, its going to be pretty dead on and I can always plug into it and monitor it directly. If I have any sort of problem I can pretty quickly "look" at the ignition and tell if it is a problem.

After I put this in I still had some problems but they weren't as severe. The car didn't bog down. What was required was some tuning and work on the Del 40's and a friend kindly helped with those.

Power? As you suggest, there are likely better ways to get that. The only thing I want the electronic ignition for is stability.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: