Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

straight cut gear backlash
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: straight cut gear backlash Reply with quote

What is the max for the backlash on straight cut gears? I have .008..Stock is about .002
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably gonna be loud with that much backlash, I'd try to get it closer.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of noise will it make and is it bad or damage could be done? Ill need a new set of gears correct?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loud gears get old real fast.

I had a friend with loud gears. After driving it for one season he had me split the case and put stock helical gears in.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no whine,Just curious if its bad to have .008 and if there will be damage done.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the very least it will do is give you valve timing scatter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of gears? new or old?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if steel .008" will not be a problem, run them, btw gear whine is generated by poor quality of surface finish, not clearance.
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=891382

this is the gears I have in it.Thank you everyone for your input.Very helpful website and people.
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you even adjust the lash with those gears, they only come in 1 size, no?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally deburr & dfl coat all of my gears, not much noise at all.I have 2 sets of the procomp gear sets, but havent tried them yet,the crank gear was about .001 biger than the crank,they said they were sending me a new one.some of thier stuff is china and some is austraila.no sticker on these .I have used plenty opf the austraila timing sets and the quality,fit,finish etc. is the best I have ever used. much better than cloyes,trw manly..hmm does any body make a belt drive for these vw?and of corse a reverse cam&oil,pump.
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine replacing timing belt on an air cooled.Ill run it and see what I get.
vdubnut58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My straight cuts had too much back lash. They make noise at idle. I called berg and they had two old magnum straight cuts on the shelf. They were a +3. After swapping around crank gears got mine to .006 not as tight as I wanted. But as good as I could get. This was about 9 months ago. So they may have one left.
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your lash before the +3?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get what you get w/ straight cut gears. BAcklash is all over. Specially if the case was linebored over w/ worn bushings.

Best to use the helicals if street engine. Just gotta make sure the bolts are machined in the stock gear correctly or it can work loose and you end up w/ an early teardown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1432 wrote:
if steel .008" will not be a problem, run them, btw gear whine is generated by poor quality of surface finish, not clearance.

HUH?

The amount of sound generated has nothing to do with quality of finish. Its the clearance and gear mesh.
The tighter it is, the louder it will be.
I have magnum cam gears that i bought from GBE nearly 16 years ago. They have prob 100k miles on em. They still whine like the day they were installed new. Its a wonderful sound.
I had the motor apart recently, and after that many miles the teeth are polished to a beautiful shine. No imperfections at all.

As for 8 thou, it will clack like a diesel.

Seems all new cam gears are coming too small and have terrible clearance numbers. OR all new cases have the cam a tad low from years of wear on the mold.

One way or the other, ive been running acrossed this a lot.
Oil pumps fit loose in the new cases, and cam gears have too much clearance. SUCKS if you ask me.
Shit quality control is killing us.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beatles_1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my oil pump is a tight fit actually.Its an AS41 case.itll sound like a diesel truck when at idle or all the time?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
1432 wrote:

HUH?

The amount of sound generated has nothing to do with quality of finish. Its the clearance and gear mesh.

I make gears for a living , you are wrong
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1432 wrote:
mightymouse wrote:
1432 wrote:

HUH?

I make gears for a living , you are wrong

Well i have built so many engines i stopped counting. If you keep getting plus sized cam gears till theres no clearance they just keep getting louder.
Ever heard of pete jackson gear drive? Yeah... super high quality. And they are the loudest money can buy.
Call jason lauffer and ask him, thats how they used to make russ's sloval so loud. TIGHT ass cam gear clearance. Loosen the cam gear clearance and what do you get? silence... but knocking. That should explain it right there. If it were tooth face finish, they would still whine. But they do not.
Wonder why reduction boxes whine? yeah... it has NOTHING to do with the finish on the gears. They are literally perfect and yet they whine.
Its just what straight cut style gears do.
And so your telling me, that after 100K miles of polishing by USE inside the engine, my cam gears still have a terrible finish? May want to run that by magnum... the best cam gear company there is.
The surfaces look like mirrors they are so nice.
The amount of grain that would be needed on the surface of a tooth that small to produce THAT much noise... isnt possible IMO.

So weve got, vw straight cut gears... they whine, vw reduction box gears.... they whine, pete jackson and every other manufacturer of gear drive for american cars... they all whine, and any transmission with straight cut gears in it, including several i know with 18000 dollar gear sets made of the best material money can buy for 2500 hp drag cars... they whine.

so i guess ALL of those items in totally different uses are all made with shitty faces on the gears? are you serious?

Im not trying to be a dick or disrespect what you may do for a living. But i have been at this over 20 years and am no slouch when it comes to engineering and design.
I build, repair and fab a lot of stuff. You cant do that if your clueless...lol

So..... it would take some serious info to convince me that everything ive known and held in my hands over the years.... is wrong.
We put belt drives in our V8 stuff for people who dislike noise, cause its been known since the dawn of time that straight cuts whine. Thats just what they do. If it was just gear tooth facing that was the culprit, the sound would change over time as the grain changed. And certain manufacturers would be able to spend more money on materials and make a silent straight cut set.... never has happened cause its not possible.

Now i dont care if you just roast me to the ends of the earth and back, id like to see how this is explained.
I dont mind learning new stuff, but this defies all logic IMO.

Dave

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vgajames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah mightymouse....you tell him.
I know what ya mean about pete jackson got lots of v8 drag racer
friends and they is loud... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: