Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stinger Exhaust won't stay on
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haydobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

So a little over a week ago, I put a stinger on my bug, a couple days after that, it snapped off. I rebent out the swivel flange and put it back on, and it completely snapped off again. Am I doing something wrong that is making it keep fall off
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

What do you mean by "snapped off"?
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

This is a great excuse to throw it in the trash.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Snapped off sounds like it's broken. Since you put it back on, did it just fall off?

And pictures could help.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Your car is rejecting trash parts. Good car.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Neighbors love this on weekends early mornings, especially if you warm it up for a minute or two. Very Happy seriously though self locking nuts will hold it, with either size flange. Cool is the car lowered? Are you dragging it ?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

I wish I had the guts to run a stinger. So reckless and devoted to singular purpose and impractical and loud.

Like go-carting the neighborhood with an open pipe in the middle of the night just because that happens to be the moment the motor started for you... Just having barely enough self restraint to duck it back in behind closed doors before the gumballs roll by...

But I digress. Sorry about the tangent.

Post a pic wouldja? Just for the grin.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

somebody in this area has a stinger and wheelie bars on their bug...single port,oe carb.....there's some things you just cant fix.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
somebody in this area has a stinger and wheelie bars on their bug...single port,oe carb.....there's some things you just cant fix.

Seems from this post that grammar isn't one of those things! Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Wind up that 18 pound flywheel real good, drop the clutch hard and hold on!!! I love it. Also, with wheelie bars you're not knocking your stinger off.

A stinger makes me think of drag strips or something. Wheelie bars fit right in there too so I'm putting them on the bug running around my head just for the fun of it. Wink Loud AND inviting a stop light challenge. Ahhhh the stuff of day dreams.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Haydobot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
so the bug had a swivel flange, and like snapped off, I did have locknuts and it was all secured. But just kinda sheared off due to heat and vibration. I don't know how to properly put it on. Thought I just needed a gasket and some bolts. Nooooope.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Maybe you could peen the end of the pipe (make it larger with a hammer), after you insert it in the flange, so it can't slip back out. It might not work, but worth a try.

or..mark where the proper orientation of the stinger on the flange with a sharpie, and have a shop weld them together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Sure looks like welding at this point
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Is that triangle piece (its a flange) off of your header? or just part of the stinger?

if just part of your stinger, then you can get a new one, a quiet pack please, note the orientation of your header flange, some are straight up and down, 12 o'clock, some are cocked, 1 o'clock.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Jbugs has new stinger pipes for $27. I wouldn't even attempt to waste time fixing the broken one. $27 is cheaper than my time would be for trying to fix the old one.
cleatusj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Hard to get good penetration on such thin tubing.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Your car is trying to tell you something.
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

My first car was a bug. I built it into a baja. Complete with a stinger. Years latter I has a sedan. I wanted a stinger but hated how it stuck out the back. I welded in a 90 degree elbow and had a good old time driving around "loud and proud". Young adult + welder=traffic tickets!
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Just to provide OP with a little empathy: In high school (circa 1986), I too was broke and inexperienced. I also had an open stinger where the pipe came off the flange - from bottoming on a speed bump or something.

Not knowing any better, and not having access to a welder, I attempted to connect two with plumbing solder and a propane torch. I got the two to stick together long enough to re-install it on the car. I backed out of the driveway, and made it about 15' feet before the pipe fell back off again. Laughing

You guys giving him a hard time should look back at yourselves. I'm sure every one of you have been in the same boat at some time in the past. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stinger Exhaust won't stay on Reply with quote

Zero penetration on the flange... crappy weld job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: