Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strictly VW in CA - Longblocks - 1915 for $1100
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ax2ron@hotmail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Strictly VW in CA - Longblocks - 1915 for $1100 Reply with quote

i am asking about a 1915 longblock. Is 1100$ a good deal for it, or to good to be true?
txdunebuggy101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda depends on the source. From craigslist? Maybe not a good idea. From a shop,well , maybe. .. Are you getting a warranty? No? Well no sale then..... JM2¢
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need more information.
Heads? Valves, springs, retainers, keepers?
Crank?
Rods?
Flywheel 8 dowelled. lightened?
What cam?
What pushrods, rocker arms?
What oil pump?
Full Flowed?
What Pistons and Cylinders?
Was it put together or was it assembled? Who built it, do they have experience on VW engines, any references for them?

$ 1100 is cheap for a decent stock 1600 rebuild.

Buyer beware.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, theres a guy in tucson here, Jim Taggart, who owns Bugs N Buggies who will build a 1600DP for 900/950 with a 1 year unlimited mile warranty.

but, all of the above as you listed there are definite things to consider in a 1915 for the price.

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot build a decent 1600cc for that kind of dough.

Some people have the idea that you can grab a 1600cc and stick 94mm cylinders in there and call it a good engine.

The BugOut is coming this weekend in VA. Plenty of engines there. But buyer beware too.

Where are you in VA? I plan to bring a couple of engines around that size you can look over. PM me.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: strictly vw in cali, longblocks Reply with quote

ax2ron@hotmail wrote:
i am asking about a 1915 longblock. Is 1100$ a good deal for it, or to good to be true?

Do they have a feedback forum on this site? I would look them up through a search and go from there... or else contact them and get specific details.

Regardless of who you do business with, that 'feedback' button is a crucial way to save yourself some heartache in spending your hard-earned cash... regardless of who you choose to do business with.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by a reliable source that Dean Chisler closed Strictly VW a few months ago and he now refers his customers to his old partner Mark Wolter at Strictly Foreign here in Grants Pass, Oregon.

http://www.strictlyforeign.com/index.htm
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was built good and the parts were returned to spec it should be a fine engine, but don't expect much from it as far as performance.

Warranty? i don't think anyone warranties anything other than a stock engine. 60ft or 60 seconds.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
You cannot build a decent 1600cc for that kind of dough.

Agreed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1915 for $1100 = fail.....maybe. Rolling Eyes Does the price require a core or is it outright?
Spend much time in Vegas? if you do then I know what your decision will be.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1100,,,, Hmmm....
I think i'd pass on that. More than likely reground used parts i bet.
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:
I was told by a reliable source that Dean Chisler closed Strictly VW a few months ago and he now refers his customers to his old partner Mark Wolter at Strictly Foreign here in Grants Pass, Oregon.

http://www.strictlyforeign.com/index.htm

You have to be careful with Mark. I used to do a lot of business with him. He was decent in the late 90's and early 2000's, but started getting shlocky on me and many other people in the last 5 or 6 years. In our last business dealing, he "rebuilt" my transmission. I drove all the way down there from Salem, took it home and installed it. Car still popped out of gear and whined worse than before-- but had at least been cleaned and spray painted Rolling Eyes
got pissed and took it all the way back down. Mark said he would make it right. picked it up again 3 days later, took it back to Salem and installed again-- to find the differential cover plate studs stripped and side gear set incorrectly. Had to remedy the son bitch by myself and threw in the towel on future business dealings. one too many careless mistakes. he built a 1776 for a buddy and it seized a month later-- reused parts that were completely out of tolerance, according to machinist. read his more recent feedback.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: