Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you need new followers when upgrading cam?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
worton75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Do you need new followers when upgrading cam? Reply with quote

Do you have to fit new cam followers when fitting a new cam?
If i have to fit new followers then do i also have to use new push rods?
What about the cam timing gear, can i just use grind off the rivets off a VW cam and use the standard timing gear with bolts on the new cam?

Its an Engle cam going into a 1641 (slip in C/P) with dellorto 34 FRD's, electronic 034 dizzy, for my '69 westy (bay)
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have tool steel lifters all ready (you don't) then, yes, you need new followers. You can reuse the came gear but you need to spot-face the rivet hole areas to sink the bolt heads down or they will hit the oil pump. Have to go deep enough.....but not too deep. Do you have a milling machine for this or know someone who can do it for you? Do you know how deep to run the spot-face? Better yet....just spend the $22 bucks and buy a new gear.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: