Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

I have a mattress topper on my top bunk, one of the memory foam types.
anyone else have something similar?

for a while i was storing it folded in half, all the way in the rear of the bed, and then squished down when i close the pop top. But i noticed this was pressing the fabric from the poptop tent outward, which eventually caused a small tear in the poptop canvas near the rear metal joints which allow the top to go up and down.
Now I have it folded in the same fashion, but the front of it is sticking out into the cabin, above the air vents from the a/c. basically, pulled it through the little crack between the bed and the piece that folds in. but it looks ugly as hell, and it was much harder to pull the pop top down all the way. I definitely notice some rubbing in there.

So for those of you that do have one, how do you use it? how do you transport it?
I suppose if i were to remove the stock bedding pads it would fit fine, but might not be enough support for sleeping. It definitely is a great improvement and makes sleeping up there much more comfortable, so i would like to figure out a way to engineer its use in a more practical manner.

any help, thoughts, advice?

thanks!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have one of the pads GoWesty sells and it does fold into 1/4s and stows behind the folded bed. Problem is the bed needs to be remade everynight and then taken completely apart when we get ready to move on. On our last trip I noticed that I could leave the bed made and open with the top closed. When we stop, I can fold the bed half way up for the head room and cut a peice of conduit that acts like a support between the bed and the top support hinge at the roof end. When it is time for bed, I pull the conduit and set the bed down ready to sleep in.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

ianstone wrote:

So for those of you that do have one, how do you use it? how do you transport it?

I've got one half the width of the bed. I roll it up, pop it into a stuff sack and stash it in the closet. Yeah, you have to make the bed every day if you're on the move, but isn't that all part of camping? Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
ianstone wrote:

I've got one half the width of the bed. I roll it up, pop it into a stuff sack and stash it in the closet. Yeah, you have to make the bed every day if you're on the move, but isn't that all part of camping? Wink

mine is bigger - the width of the entire bed, and it won't roll up into a stuff sack nor would it fit in the closet if i tried.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

ianstone wrote:

mine is bigger - the width of the entire bed, and it won't roll up into a stuff sack nor would it fit in the closet if i tried.

Right; mine used to be the width of the bed until I cut it in half. If a bunkmate wants additional padding, I've got another pad I can throw in. Just me, one pad to haul. One sleeping up, one sleeping down? Each can have a pad without needing to haul more than necessary. Two smaller items are more packable than one large item.

Even more packable are Thermarest-type pads; they roll up a bit more compactly than a foam pad/mattress. I don't use my Thermarests in the van because the short one is too narrow, and the wide one (half the bed's width) is too long. Mad The one downfall is that they take longer to set up and pack away.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
ianstone wrote:

Right; mine used to be the width of the bed until I cut it in half. If a bunkmate wants additional padding, I've got another pad I can throw in. Just me, one pad to haul. One sleeping up, one sleeping down? Each can have a pad without needing to haul more than necessary. Two smaller items are more packable than one large item.

Even more packable are Thermarest-type pads; they roll up a bit more compactly than a foam pad/mattress. I don't use my Thermarests in the van because the short one is too narrow, and the wide one (half the bed's width) is too long. Mad The one downfall is that they take longer to set up and pack away.

my lady and i like to sleep together in the same bunk, so that won't work for us
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

ianstone wrote:

my lady and i like to sleep together in the same bunk, so that won't work for us

The length of the bed itself is divided, why wouldn't width of the foam topper work split in half?

Just throwing out an idea.
2016 Golf GTI S
ianstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
ianstone wrote:

The length of the bed itself is divided, why wouldn't width of the foam topper work split in half?

Just throwing out an idea.

it does work, when the bed is down, and the poptop is popped.

but when i need to drive and put the top down, if i leave it as is on the bed and then fold the front section back toward the rear of the vehicle, the front section doesn't go down all the way because its so thick
if i fold it in half (from top to bottom, the long way), it basically fits in the space between the bed and the pop top, but because it is so thick (not cheap foam, think temperpedic type foam topper), it causes the sides of the canvas to get torn (eventually) by the brackets on the sides in the rear of the vehicle that raise and lower the top.

if i fold it the other way, from side to side, and then back so its folded in 1/4ths, it won't press against the side any more yet it is too thick at that point to be able to close the top

am i making sense?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

ianstone wrote:

it does work, when the bed is down, and the poptop is popped.

but when i need to drive and put the top down, if i leave it as is on the bed and then fold the front section back toward the rear of the vehicle, the front section doesn't go down all the way because its so thick...

am i making sense?

That's where the difference lies; I don't leave mine in place. I tried, but even the "thin" 1½" version that I have is too thick folded up. Some here have made it work, but I don't care to press my luck (instead I keep my pillow stashed up there). That's why I mentioned in my first post that I roll the foam topper up and stash it where ever when driving. I can do that because I cut the foam down the middle, so I have two separate, smaller pieces. By doing that, I've got a number of options: one piece upstairs, one piece downstairs, two pieces downstairs, or two pieces upstairs; both can be rolled up individually and stashed where they'll fit (closet, rear seat, over engine, etc.).

If it's a requirement to keep the topper stored upstairs, I'll defer to others in the know.
2016 Golf GTI S
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have experimented again lately with ours. 2" foam, and it just won't fit up there with the bed folded up when you lower the top. because it is floppy, it will allow you to push the bed up to the roof in the morning, and it stays, leaving bedding and foam up there. when we pack up we either close top with bed down (really hard to open again) or take everything down and fold matteress topper in thirds and put behind the back seat. it even fits under the back cushion. One thing that has helped a lot is I sewed two bed sheets together to make a cover for the foam. it helps to slide the foam up there. the upper bunk cover is grippy and the foam is sticky and it was a real workout without a cover on the foam.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two 1 1/2" mattress toppers online (can't remember where). Folded into thirds, the top one fits just fine with the top down and latched. It's been a year and so far no signs of stress anywhere. My wife made nice covers for them in different colors since the dimensions are not the same. The bottom topper is rolled and stored behind the seat.

Anyone know if memory foam undergoes memory loss if left compressed for a long period of time?
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a piece of memory foam online at overstock dot com for next to nothing, i cut it in half and have coverage for both the bottom and the top. When not in use, i fold in half and put behind back seat. If I am not camping for a while, which never happens i bring inside...

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I had with the memory foam is it's damned heavy and bulky. I bought one and just didn't like dealing with it. I then tried one of those soft 'eggcarton' foam mattress toppers and really like it. It adds just enough (for me anyway) extra padding to make the top bunk comfortable and it's very light and compressible. I stitched up a sleeve for it out of a sheet set that I can remove and wash periodically. When I break camp I just roll it up nice and tight, put a strap around it and stow it behind the back seat. At night, I unroll it, the sheets already there, throw a comforter on top and I'm ready to sleep. Pretty quick, painless and comfortable.
'96 BMW R1100GS
I am Wildcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The awesome thing about the SCA pop top on Wildcat is that when it is closed, the 3" mattress topper and 2" wood slat bed frame that supports the mattress topper can both stay in place. Makes things very convenient and allows us more space for bags/clothes in the back.
2014 Tesla Model S P85+
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like as good a time as any to throw out a question I have been considering on this. I use my van to travel to running events, but I wake up a little sore in that thing in the morning (not too bad), so I have been thinking about the "toppers." I don't know a whole lot about them, so bare with me...

As far as the top goes, the pads up there kinda suck, so could one replace each of the two pads entirely with a couple of new snazzy memory pads? I don't know the thickness of the pads up there, perhaps the new memory pads need a greater thickness than you can achieve up there to be comfortable? I mean, the top pad may be 3", but it may be that the memory pads require 4"+ when on top of a hard surface?

But, perhaps they only require 2" when on top of another pad, so maybe you could get a firm 1" pad and put a 2" topper on top and stuff them inside the two mattress "sacks?"

Anybody following me here?

As for the bottom, you could do the same with the back cushion, but the seats seem to be a problem. I guess if you slept with your head toward the rear all the time, you would keep your back on the soft stuff, so, I guess that could be a solution?

Thoughts?

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter

Last edited by Classicvibe on Wed May 25, 2011 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Johnny that the best bet would be a dual density replacement of the original pads. I think the OP wants to be able to leave it in place and fold away as the original bed was meant to be used... to bad the stock bed leaves much to be desired Rolling Eyes . You could go talk to some local foam distributors and see what they could set you up with. Then make some covers that snap in place like the originals. Ive thought of going this route myself. It would be pretty straight forward, and Im sure very comfy. Anyone have a setup like this?

However, I also have a double wide thermarest style pad that fits the upper bunk almost perfectly and has proved to be very comfy for both the wife and I. It stays in place and since its all one pad there is no fussing with overlap or lack thereof. I usually roll it up and stow it in the closet leaving my bedding up top, but have found that I can open it (it has two valves, one at either side) and close the bed with it in place as it will deflate enough to close the top. It does take slightly more care to roll in the canvas towards the back but would not cause damage to the canvas as the OP noted was an issue with his topper. In the morning its easy to just flip the top back with everything in place, you just cant close it like this. Bottom line for me was: Thermarest was cheap (like $40), a dual density foam setup would be many more $$.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an eggcrate one that we roll up tight and stow in either the cabinet or behind the seat, as well as a 2" tempurpedic topper that we use on the top bunk. It is uber heavy, uber bulky and a huge imposition to take the tempurpedic, but, due to back issues myself, I have surrendered to just leaving it up top and when travelling, I just leave the upper bunk down Idea I like having the upper bunk stowed for cooking and I have found a stick that I notched so that when the top is up and I need to cook or have headroom, I place the notch in the stick on the crossbar for the poptop and press it against the flip up side of the upper bunk. This works nice and I am really tempted to get a 1/2- 1" piece of foam rubber coupled with the tempurpedic mattress topper and fit it into the upper mattress cover like Classicvibe was discussing. In my new van, I think I may just have to go ahead and do this.
With the mattress left down, you just lose a little headroom on the road which is hardly noticable and, as an added bonus, you get to keep extra stuff up top like pillows and a thin guitar Idea I saw someone at the Syncro Solstice that had removed their upper mattress all together(pam and Jeremy) and they added some handicap stall bars across the opening to prevent cargo from shifting forward in a sudden stop. I have found that my pillows folded in half with the top down accomplish this feat, but, we always need to be aware of stuff stored up there that could fly forward in the event of a sudden loss of momentum. I had my small table fly into my headrest one time during a sudden stop. That could really cause some bumps and bruises Surprised
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the problem is that the original pads are too old (?)
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is a fairly easy fix, at what cost I am not sure, but it keeps going down, and the comfort level will increase for sure...I will have this solved imminently. I have sourced a few parts and everything is working fine so far. I am going with the firm foam/memory on top approach.
One thing...can anyone just simplify the Memory foam thing for me? Is there something I should look for in construction, can I assume they are mostly the same aside from thickness?
Can I shop for price and thickness at Walmart or Overstock or eBay, or do I need to be wary beyond the obvious imposters?

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
OK, this is a fairly easy fix, at what cost I am not sure, but it keeps going down, and the comfort level will increase for sure...I will have this solved imminently. I have sourced a few parts and everything is working fine so far. I am going with the firm foam/memory on top approach.
One thing...can anyone just simplify the Memory foam thing for me? Is there something I should look for in construction, can I assume they are mostly the same aside from thickness?
Can I shop for price and thickness at Walmart or Overstock or eBay, or do I need to be wary beyond the obvious imposters?
I got mine at Costco but they do not have them all the time. There is a definite difference in the quality of them. Bought a Walmart one for my Grandmother and it was garbage after about 9 months. Have a Tempurpedic mattress at home and it has held up really well, not well enough to justify the exorbitant price we paid for it though.....
My Tempurpedic pillows deteriorated with age until finally they were tossed out due to being too hard and smelly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: