Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

009 disty and 34 pict 3 carb fix?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the OG poster said NOTHING about a cheap fix.
i stated a fact about a substandard distributor
easy fix would to hunt at the local bone yard for a better distributor
the classifieds for a better distributor, or if you already had another distributor
to try, i get so sick of the the excuses when someone says something about yanking out the oo9. it's like i'm trying to cut off someone's crack fix or something to suddenly to utter the hideous words of actully buy,..(ach! my poor ears) another distributor .
again,..do whatcha like.
pop rivet it,.. but if you want the flat spots out for good,.try something not oo9 before blaming the carbs.

my stuff runs right and doesn't have a oo9.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.

Last edited by Foxx on Wed May 25, 2011 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand being tight.

When I was commuting 100 miles daily to college, my 250,000 mile '73 beetle leaked 1/2 quart of oil every day because of a couple of pulled case studs. I changed the oil in my dads truck and family members cars, saved the used oil to put into my bug to get to school because I could only afford the gas.

It was only temporary to make it until the end of the semester when I could finish my rebuild on a replacement engine.

Even then, I spent the money on a correct fix instead of on the "fix-a-stud" cheap band-aid.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Get a Bosch Mexican 034(205zb) vacuum/mechanical and be done with it.

Polishing a turd give you a shinny turd.

In a perfect world that would be great. We must remember that not everyone has 150 to drop on a new distributor.

This thread is about making a oo9 work with a 34 pict using cheap and or free resources.

You can buy good used vacuum/mechanical distributors for $10 in the swaps. Give it a few parts and 2 hours of work and it will be good as new.... and work better than your Oo9.

You might want to read this: 034 dizzy and 34 pict 3 thanks guys

Just remember that the cheapest might not be the least expensive.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - Glen you read my mind - If they dont want to click on the link - I had alread copied the post to paste it in here

I just wanted to say thanxs to all the guys on here who have helped. I had a problem with my new bug and just could not figure this one out .After using the search feature. I learned that for my app 1776,044 heads eoro twin tip ceramic exhaust and 34-3 pict carb I should use a 034 not a 009 dizzy. I was hesitant at first as I thought the 009 was the end all of distributors.I think they probably work in some apps but from what I read not with a 34-3pict.I got hooked up with a sponsor and advertiser on this site in the classifieds JEFF FROM KADDIESHACK.COM .I ordered a brand new bosch 034 and in just a day and a half he got it too me heck he even hurried up on the phone when I ordered so he could catch the morning mail run to ship it that day.I cannot express enough how much everyones advice and or criticism is appreciated.I just wanted to say thanks to JEFF and this site. Now to get cleaned up and go for a ride,, cuz in just the time I went down the street this car is a different beast all together.Also my cyl head temps at idle went down a good 20 degrees. I guess that is normal as the threads said runs cooler with a 034 compared to a 009 . I could not do it without you guys or this site .THANKS JEFF
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: 009 Reply with quote

let me get this straight i have a perfect running engine no hessitation idles perfect gets 28mpg on the highway 20 mpg in the city runs cool when i checked sunday after a vw run with a digital thermometer out of 3 things with 1775 engines and 2 other vws with 1775 engines i had the coolest temp the best gas mpg but if i removed the pop rivet and changed the dist which is the correct way i would have the problem fixed correct just wanted to get that straight also i started to work at a vw dealer in 1967 as a tech and retired from the vw dealer as a tech in 2010 and inbetween i had a vw speed shop for 15 years so i have worked on a few vws
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again,..it astounds me how much people will fight even TRYING something different then a oo9.
Russ Wolfe who was a VW line mechanic all his life explained the evaluation of the oo9 and how suddenly it became a star,when someone saw drag racers using an industrial motor distributor designed for full advance after idle . unfortunately i did not save the link as i didn't think anyone was that closed minded to not even have the good sense to just friggan try it.

i would of thought that someone who was capable of a thing resto, the foresight to get a burg shifter, the ability to put Porsche gauges and preach about doing it right etc would at least put aside the doubt and try it. but a pop rivet is cool,. do whatcha like.
i'm not closed minded that i can't learn, thanks Russ Wolfe for your years of advice & wisdom i had the time to listen to.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can lead an horse to water............... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...

Last edited by andk5591 on Thu May 26, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
The original 009 distributors were for industrial engines.
Retard the timing to get the engine started, and then take it to full advance just a little off closed throttle. Perfect for an engine that will run a constant RPM. Like a generator, or air compressor, or drag racing.
But for street use, running the throttle up and down, it does not work well, because timing advances too soon.
Some people are saying they can cure the problems, by putting heavier springs or 2 springs in them.
Yes, that will alter the advance curve, and you now no longer have a true 009.

still looking for his full story on these,..
Russ had 45 years experience in VW's
some other links on distributors
http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles/distributor.htm
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhignbo.htm

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: 009 Reply with quote

i am not fighting i am just old and stubborn and set in my ways i like the 009 dist and it works for me it is not for everyone that is why i have been with vws for years you can do anything to them and everybody does i have seen almost everything in 45 years and done most of it to vws my self . i enjoy what other people do to them thats what make life great if we all did the same it would make for a boring car show. i know i am not normal how many 64 year olds drive a thing for there main car i love hearing the stories of people and their things thanks for putting up with me
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
i am not fighting i am just old and stubborn and set in my ways

Trust me.. .there is better.

Just because you like something, you're never too old to learn new things... if you are open minded.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 009 Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
i am not fighting i am just old and stubborn and set in my ways i like the 009 dist and it works for me it is not for everyone that is why i have been with vws for years you can do anything to them and everybody does i have seen almost everything in 45 years and done most of it to vws my self . i enjoy what other people do to them thats what make life great if we all did the same it would make for a boring car show. i know i am not normal how many 64 year olds drive a thing for there main car i love hearing the stories of people and their things thanks for putting up with me

do whatcha like,..i'm not mad at anyone,. but you should think about it.
if the oo9 works for you,.then use it to your hearts delight .
(the latter oo9's are bosch, but made in china and quality is suspect with each, some work, some don't)
but if you* are suffering from flat spots╜, then it MIGHT be something more then a carb problem. and it might be even better then a "simple fix"once tried.

*= anyone having a problem
╜=a common complaint associated in conjunction with the oo9

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fix the hole with JB Weld and will not have to remove the throttle plate to do it. Overfill the hole with the JB Weld to make a plug that overlaps the edges of the hole a bit.

The hole gives additional air to make up for the very late timing of the DVDA dissy. The hole needs to be plugged for use with either an 009 or a SVDA dizzy or the throttle plate will need to be close too far below the transition port to get the idle speed down. The guys explanation in the link on why filling the hole works is bunk, but filling the hole does work.

Don't think filling the hole has a thing to do with jetting, though rejetting a carburetor of this vintage a jet size richer will usually make it run a bit better.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that the hole *needs* to be plugged for 009 or SVDA. I have a few vw 34 pict 3 carburetors that were matched to svda distributors from the factory; they still have the hole in the throttle plate, albeit a little smaller and in a different position than carburetors intended for DVDA. The only 34 pict 3 carburetor I am aware of that was intended for a centrifugal only distributor from the factory was for 181 with the m63 option code (part 181 129 027G, flange number VW 402_1, exact same jetting as the carburetor supplied with the Thing). I have never actually seen one of these carburetors in person, but would like to. I suspect that even those ones have a hole in the throttle plate much like the SVDA carburetors. My suggestion is to match the distributor to the carburetor. If you give me the flange number, I can probably tell you what distributor was paired with it from the factory.

I did a post a while back comparing various original solex parts and carburetors. It isn't all encompassing, but may be enlightening. You can check it out here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4824260
jonmad74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 009 disty and 34 pict 3 carb fix? Reply with quote

I've been running this mod on my 67 since I rebuilt the engine in 2002. It works great.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 009 disty and 34 pict 3 carb fix? Reply with quote

I am using too this setup with german 009 and 34 PICT 3 and SP 1600 engine in my Thing.

It does work, and shows a very good behaviour at low revs and good progression.

However:

- It runs on the rich side. Bad or wrongly set plugs sooth easily.

- On my bug I have a vacumm 034 on a 1200 and runs very smooth. Amazing good at low revs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 009 disty and 34 pict 3 carb fix? Reply with quote

Just to pour some gas on the fire...
My latest distributor experiment was with a VJUR 4 BR 8 commonly found on 36 HP Beetles. This thing is a cast iron bodied centrifugal/vacuum distributor.
In my rudimentary testing, I found the centrifugal advance curve very closely matches that of my 019. (I don't own a Sun machine like Glenn, but with a tach, degree pulley, and a timing light, I could compare advance at various RPM's.) Anyway, the other unique feature of this distributor, other than being built like a jewel, is that the vacuum advance is infinitely adjustable in both rate and total advance.
I am very happy with this distributor, and the addition of vacuum advance has noticeably increased fuel milage.

I just love tinkering with these cars!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: