Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Operation X Volksrod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manx Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading through your thread and I had a couple of questions about your carb set up.. Does it have any drive ability problems? or fuel pooling in the intake? hesitation? great project dare to be different !
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackman Baja style center caps. Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Ok...my baby got a new pair of shoes... Wink

Jackman - Baja style caps, with Chrome Lug covers, and Stainless rings..

Not too bad.. looks a bit more aggressive. May put some spike motorcycle bar ends on the tips of the caps to finish them off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dig the new rim set up, looks a lot more aggressive.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duguda Duguda wrote:
I was reading through your thread and I had a couple of questions about your carb set up.. Does it have any drive ability problems? or fuel pooling in the intake? hesitation?

Oh yeah.... Confused
Its a big time cold natured BITCH.. It takes for freaking ever (if at all) to warm the intake up enough to really start vaporizing good. The only thing that saves it, is the way the actual head intake runner "tunnels" are designed. Once the heads are hot...they're HOT. The cooling air never really touches the the intake tunnels, so the upper head intake aluminum stay nice and toasty. The tunnels only transfer heat and are built in heat risers for the original Rochesters. With my intake fuel has a tendency to drop out of vapor suspension and yes puddle in the carb plenum base, especially at idle. I have to "clear it out" if it idles too long which is not too much. I have played with the idle mixture, but its a constant tinkering to be perfect, then it will change as the engine heats and cools...ambient temps, humidity.... etc.... so the hell with it. Inherent to the beast.. Get it decent and go... Wink. There are much better intakes available, but they were never in my budget. The better 2x1 and 4x1 intakes have a passage to route oil through the base and it will preheat the carb and base nicely.
Most of the Corvair guys disapproved of the center carb... but its cheap, and works.
For driveability, the original carbs are much better...

To me..its a driving mans car... I have to "know how to drive it" ...and do... Wink

Duguda Duguda wrote:
great project dare to be different !

TequilaSunSet wrote:

Dig the new rim set up, looks a lot more aggressive.

Thanks guys..... its loads of fun..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any windshield wipers and I have a suggestion for safety....model T fords had manual wipers that pivoted at the top of the windows and only required a 1/4 inchhole through to install and use....might work for you....I have sent my grandson a photo of your car. I am trying to lure him away from riceburners with a FREE 68 project car.........thanks for the photos

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
I don't see any windshield wipers and I have a suggestion for safety....model T fords had manual wipers that pivoted at the top of the windows and only required a 1/4 inchhole through to install and use....might work for you....I have sent my grandson a photo of your car. I am trying to lure him away from riceburners with a FREE 68 project car.........thanks for the photos

Laughing Safety?? Hahahaa.... Well it at least has a dual master cylinder... Thanks for stopping by GP... Wipers are not good for the aerodynamics. Wink

No, wipers have yet to permanently make the project. I of course have a shortened pair ready to go, but every time I place them on...... Confused I just dont like the looks. Rain X does the trick, albeit, having no wipers is not exactly "legal". Anxious I've been a Rain X user for a long time on all my vehicles. Besides.. Rain X kinda fits Operation X.. Must be the X factor... Laughing

Im familiar with the manual Model T wipers, but the last thing this car needs is another hole drilled in it... Laughing .

Good luck on the lure away from the ZipZap cars. Kids today are whole different breed. We didnt have any luck with our son with a certain Kustom (Grabber Blue) fully reconditioned 1967 Beetle...found in other posts. We ended up assisting purchase a much SAFER and quick Supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS.. Hey at least its a GM car, Easy resale too. Gets better fuel mileage than the old Beetles, and is easy on maintenance. No need of constant tinkering.... thankfully.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Laughing Safety?? Hahahaa.... Well it at least has a dual master cylinder...

Taking a pot shot at me eh! Laughing I don"t have any wipers either, I'll have to figure some out with the center piece on the windshield.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Laughing Safety?? Hahahaa.... Well it at least has a dual master cylinder...

Taking a pot shot at me eh! Laughing I don"t have any wipers either, I'll have to figure some out with the center piece on the windshield.

Not intentionally...but take it how you want... You know my opinion on the subject...

Use a Vacuum wiper motor and trans linkage from 50's cars that had split windshield. They park in the center and wipe out.... You'd have to adapt the body and linkage.... of course..
It would be much simpler to use Rain X.. or loose the center trim on rainy days.. Laughing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bump sidebar...8/20/13
More rain..... excessive humidity.... Confused... Damn....

Recently jumped back working on our 69 Buggy "Coppertub" (on and off). After being soaked last year several times in heavy rain on a road trip.. naturally... kept on driving. Cool Decided right THEN... the black marine carpet had to go. Wanted easy to dry (self drainage), and easy to clean the debris out ...lots of shit flys in and settles in this car..

Gutted the tub at the end of last summer, figured I had all winter...piece of cake... HA......finally wrapping it up for now. Plan to yank the windshield frame, roll bar and maybe the rear bumper this winter to have powder coated.
I built a "quick" roof rack for the road trip last year (that kinda stuck), just for some shade and shelter for my bald head, plus a platform to throw crap on and go.. Just NOW got to the point of staining and protecting it. I really liked the wood features, plus we've had plenty of compliments on its simple yet fitting "look", so decided to roll with it.. plus more.
Built a rear cabinet (and speaker panel) to replace the former carpeted cabinet. During the change over process......added a Cb and whip antenna, gutted all the floor carpet, coated the floor, cut rubber bed mat as floor mats, and upgraded the seats to Miata high backs for a little more room and for the knee draggin' curves (whoops wrong forum) better side bolster support.... Love em'. Easy on/off surf board WITH personal decals of course... Wink
Oh.... and after the drives on the washboard side dirt roads of the NC mountains... I knew the front shocks were WAY to stiff... so...drained and refilled the front shocks with very....very light oil...AHHHHH Sooooo much better...

See... I can do shiny stuff too... Laughing

Usually and often edited
hedgehog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shiny stuff looks kinda good! Man, I love this buggy.

I think a rack and surf board would fit my junker perfectly, but the wife just shakes her head. Meh...one day she'll come home to a rack and surf board.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehog wrote:
The shiny stuff looks kinda good! Man, I love this buggy.

I think a rack and surf board would fit my junker perfectly, but the wife just shakes her head. Meh...one day she'll come home to a rack and surf board.

I am NOT a really a big rack fan... ON CARS THAT IS... Wink Laughing but on yours.... Id have to do something with Bamboo. Like a regular rack with a Reed Fence floor or Bamboo Floor like slats... I mean you got the headliner... Cmon.

Racks can EASILY be removed too.... (and made)
Usually and often edited
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to pick that buggy up in the morning to take it to the beach. You dont need to fill it up with gas. Just leave it out on the road tonight so I dont wake you up with the winch noise. I appreciate it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
I need to pick that buggy up in the morning to take it to the beach. You dont need to fill it up with gas. Just leave it out on the road tonight so I dont wake you up with the winch noise. I appreciate it.

Don't use the winch...Ill just leave the keys with watch dog......If you can get them from her without waking us up.... have fun, bring it back with the tank full.. and keep the shiny side up.

We really wanted to take it to the Manx on the Banx event this year.... But it looks like it will have to be postponed yet again.... Confused
Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHHhhhh.. Finally a decent dry day.... looks like a nice week forming.

Fall is near... my favorite time of year, cool mornings and days, colors changing, leaves falling, good fall seasonal beer available....

I can smell it in the air.. the fossil fuels are burning today!!! Wink
Usually and often edited
HeidiHo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
AHHHHhhhh.. Finally a decent dry day.... looks like a nice week forming.

Fall is near... my favorite time of year, cool mornings and days, colors changing, leaves falling, good fall seasonal beer available....

I can smell it in the air.. the fossil fuels are burning today!!! Wink

Yup, good day for crazy guys in the carolinas and their crazy bugs. Glad to hear you had a good one too
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twas a good day Paul...for both of us it seems.... looks good for a while too...
I can relate to your fuel comsumption issue...
When the Power goes up, the throttle pedal goes down, the speedo goes up, the fuel gauge goes down.
Its a viscious cycle

In fact.. a quick recent fuel stop story.

I stoped for fuel yesterday morning on the way to work.
As I was pumping I could feel the eyes leering, Anxious
I figured...here we go..
One walks up and looks inside, noting my "cane" shifter, he had a few nice words to say about "Operation X" Cool Always kool to hear what people think both good and bad.....
Another guy just walking around and quietly stalking at it. So I basically broke the awkwardness and said' "Good Morning" in my usual "Yankee" born tone with its southern raised spin.. Wink

I got.... "what kinda motor is sat"..

I tried to keep it real.... simple...., but as soon as I mentioned reverse rotation, it went from ok to weird.. and I think the last thing that was said was
"I ain't callin' u no liar but I'ma gonna have to ask my brother in law bout' that"

As I climbed in..I said "Well all right then... good talking to ya, I got to get to work"

I do love the attention.... no doubt... just generally not in the morning as I am in NO WAY a morning person..
Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fall 2013 Eastcoast VWs German Invasion... in the books. Nice laid back event. Good turn out. It was a bit hot, but manageable.
Found a few parts for future "projects", (Thanks d-rock)

Got 2 flasks pinstriped by Roscoe Clyde, and made a deal on some of his art.

As you can see to the right.. The Gray Ghost was waved on in.. I know its not a VW, so... thanks ECVW guys, and all, I appreciate the respect toward my Pop and the Ghost.

Usually and often edited
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Fall 2013 Eastcoast VWs German Invasion...

German Invasion??? That's a Chevy! HEHEHE

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Fall 2013 Eastcoast VWs German Invasion...

German Invasion??? That's a Chevy! HEHEHE

Yeah well.. You know how it is....
It don't quite fit in ANY real category now does it.. Wink
I guess... Its at least 3/4 VW.
Did you notice no blue paper on the window.. not showing for a plaque.. just going to go...
Sure had the looks and when the spectators walked around the back.. the look on the faces are always worth the price of admission..

Rack for sale.. so decided to load er down for some pics..

Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the idea of adding cones/spike to the caps a few pages back....

Well tried em.. eh Confused ... too pointy...

So came up with these... More "me"..... My version of wide five "spider" caps..
Cut down semi truck lug nut covers, pvc cap filed down to fit inside, glued in place, and all bolted down.

Added caps to my caps Laughing

Bump for a story...

I went to a home town car show.....on a past recent Saturday. Advertised 10-4...
I was the last to roll in... worked that morning..
Had to roll through the road barriers... that...most mortal cars wouldnt have fit.. Laughing

I pulled in the end of the line of nice and shiney cars.. and a guy walks up and says "We're Closed"..

I laughed and said "I bet it is.... Confused and by the way its only 2"

He hands me a registration card a says "its 20 dollars" .

I looked at the card and said... "Does it come with free lunch or a hat"
I already had no intentions of paying 20 bucks for a show anyway.. so simply smiled and walked away... he was following me on a golf cart... Laughing
I lost him in the crowd..

I was just itching and waiting on them to tell me to move off a public street...

Now how do I break It to my neighbor that Im not paying 20 bucks for his church car show...
20 is just too much IMO
Usually and often edited
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
... he was following me on a golf cart... Laughing
I lost him in the crowd..

Now Ken, I'm sure he was just following you to make sure you were safe and probably hoping you wouldn't rev your engine and scare the kids. After all, there is no place in heaven for primer, volksrods, modified suspension, or chop tops. Very Happy
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:

Now Ken, After all, there is no place in heaven for primer, volksrods, modified suspension, or chop tops. Very Happy

Very Happy .

Well . Damn... that explains a lot now dont it... gonna be rough ... and hot I guess.
Might be why I hate hot temperatures.. ..... its all starting to make some sense now.. Confused
I'm doomed....
Idea
I cant wait to see the look on ny neighbors face when I repeat your statement to him....... Shocked Pray
Then again.. Think maybe not...I dont want to have a 45 minute session ... Pray Shame on you Brick wall Pray
Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 44

Jump to: