Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the stock valve cover hockey puck should be plumbed into the system so that it is the last item before the intake connection between the air filter and compressor inlet. It should also be oriented so that it is close to horizontal. Any other oil separators should be before the stock hockey puck as the puck is the regulator for crankcase pressure and I believe is made specifically to prevent runaway.

Turning a critical eye to the turbo oil return would also be wise.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: USING OIL ON A RECENT REBUILDS Reply with quote

Hi Syncro, I worked on a bunch of 5-10 ton trucks used by the marine corps, depot level maintenance in Barstow, CA. We had a bunch of diesels using oil on rebuilds. After tearing down several rebuilds that didn't clear Inspection and dyno in the engine room, We had the mesurements taken, everything was up to spec, The ring gap was right where it was supposed to be, The cylinders were ground to spec, I had the cylinder hone checked, the cylinders were looked too smooth - somebody ordered the wrong grit on the cylinder hones - the cylinder hones had a too smooth so that the rings would not wear in to seat. We also found that the rings were installed wet with oil, another reason for failure to seat. We got lucky on that one, we had to bid competitively on jobs to be done, everybody got the opportunity to keep their jobs. This may have worked for you or maybe not. VW diesels are different, sometimes it is the simple things that drive you nuts. Please don't use bonami.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't worry about topic drift, any info is good info as far as I'm concerned.

The motor is getting the oil from the turbo, not the intake draw... I have another catch can mounted AFTER the MANN separator as a backup; it has a sightglass, and it's not filled. Convoluted, but I've had no oil getting into the intake via the breather lately.
It's a very mild runaway, slow to spool up, and it only happens when the engine revs up past a certain RPM. Apply brakes to slow the engine, and it immediately drops to idle.

Gizmo, where did you get that drain flange?

re: Honing... I used a 3-stone spring-loaded hone for this block, and WD-40 during to wash the walls. No oil on assembly. 45-degree hash marks, or reasonably close. It'd been a while since A&P school, but I know the basics...

I'm just going to have to keep hammering it on the road and hope they grab, I'm in no mood for a teardown. Oval cylinder or broken ring haunts my dreams. Brick wall

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
Please don't worry about topic drift, any info is good info as far as I'm concerned.

The motor is getting the oil from the turbo, not the intake draw... I have another catch can mounted AFTER the MANN separator as a backup; it has a sightglass, and it's not filled. Convoluted, but I've had no oil getting into the intake via the breather lately.
It's a very mild runaway, slow to spool up, and it only happens when the engine revs up past a certain RPM. Apply brakes to slow the engine, and it immediately drops to idle.

Gizmo, where did you get that drain flange?

re: Honing... I used a 3-stone spring-loaded hone for this block, and WD-40 during to wash the walls. No oil on assembly. 45-degree hash marks, or reasonably close. It'd been a while since A&P school, but I know the basics...

I'm just going to have to keep hammering it on the road and hope they grab, I'm in no mood for a teardown. Oval cylinder or broken ring haunts my dreams. Brick wall

Drain flange was something I put together using a steel hose connector from a previous suby swap and a chunk of 1/4" plate.
I'm lucky enough to own a mill so I faced it and cut an o-ring groove.
The pan itself is too thin to tap but there are many ways to skin the cat and from what I've seen of your rig, you'll figure something out no doubt, just go big.

I don't blame you for not wanting to tear it back down. Sounds like your fairly sure its from the turbo so working on the drain is not wasted by any means.

If you need to take off the pan, hopefully you have made some accommodations to reach those two bolts at the tranny. I didn't - bent a ball-end hex wrench in two places and after an hour of all the patience I could muster, I got em out and the pan off.

Good luck sir.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:

Sounds like you're narrowing it down. It could certainly be the turbo. It could also still be bad oil control rings, a leak in the head gasket allowing oil into one of the cylinders adjacent to the high pressure oil channel to the head or a crack in the block or head doing similar.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Pex / Turbo Reply with quote

I noticed that you were looking at PEX pipe applications on the AAZ, Understanding that I have an 83 vanagon - takes something like 27 feet of heater line. I used PEX blue and red on replacing some water lines on my home. I like the flexibility of PEX. Have you tried PEX on your van?

Sorry I don't know much about turbos - I am wondering if you have a bad seal or o-ring, or possibly too much clearance to permit oil going in to the intake manifold. Was this engine that had a lot of oil in the Intake manifold, during a tear down?

I would be inclined to look at the bearing clearance, it could be at the upper end of the clearance allowable - this is kinda like a leaky main bearing seal, a new seal will not hold if the bearing clearance is too much. Is it possible to have too much oil pressure, blowing past the turbo main seal? Hope that this may help?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case your interested, here are some shots of the work I did to bolt the custom o-ring flange to the pan.

To remove the pan, I had to make a special allen wrench.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the larger flywheel and the circular bump on it makes getting to the two bolts nearly impossible.

The "jog" lets me get around the bump.

I had to remove the pan anyway to weld up the PO's attempt at a drain - way too small and not in-line with the turbo (the shortest run is the least restrictive). I touched the face of the pan with a flat grinding disc to make it smooth.

I also added a few tig-beads to provide enough material to tap.

Make sure you put some sealer on the bolt threads if you end up making a flange. An easier route if you have the pan off would be a simple 45 degree bulk-head fitting or build the area of choice up with weld and tap it.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmo, your pan is a TD pan. That hole plugged by the bolt that is below and between your fitting and the OPs attempt is the stock oil return bung.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was confused about that pan, as the drain doesn't look anything like the 1.6NA pans I've had in my possession.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TD pan has two drains (neither shown in the pic), one at either end of the pan. The non-turbo pan has just one drain at the pulley end of the pan.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
The TD pan has two drains (neither shown in the pic), one at either end of the pan. The non-turbo pan has just one drain at the pulley end of the pan.

Thanks for the correction libby.
All I know is it's the pan that was on it when I bought it. Am I correct in that it's also the "typical" pan used on a 50 degree Vanagon?

Last edited by Gizmoman on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnygreenham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That hole plugged by the bolt that is below and between your fitting and the OPs attempt is the stock oil return bung

Once I installed the largest oil return hose I could possible get to fit, I plumbed it straight to the stock retun bung which is the same pan as the above, and ALL problems wnet away.....its like magic Very Happy . It's below sump oil line but its not an issue. Can not stress enough about turbo oil return line size........go big, big and bigger.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Am I correct in that it's also the "typical" pan used on a 50 degree Vanagon?

The non-turbo pan is much more common in the US and has no provision for the oil return and a single oil drain fitting rather than one at each end of the pan. I'm curious why you made a flange rather than installing a fitting into the stock location.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Gizmoman wrote:
Am I correct in that it's also the "typical" pan used on a 50 degree Vanagon?

The non-turbo pan is much more common in the US and has no provision for the oil return and a single oil drain fitting rather than one at each end of the pan. I'm curious why you made a flange rather than installing a fitting into the stock location.

The engine as well as the van was entirely new to me. The PO had gone to great lengths not to use it and I assumed he may know more about the engine than I did so I stuck with his perspective.

Besides, it makes a very good drain.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with your fitting. Just curious. I've always had a bit of concern about the stock vanagon drain being at the bottom of the pan WRT aeration of the oil. You're probably better off with it raised up a bit.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I wasn't implying that there was anything wrong with your fitting. Just curious. I've always had a bit of concern about the stock vanagon drain being at the bottom of the pan WRT aeration of the oil. You're probably better off with it raised up a bit.

Trust me, I considered using it as the connection point but kept asking myself why the PO didn't. He was clearly trying to keep it above the oil and I did the best I could but the flange affair forced it lower.

Frankly, I don't think where it enters is nearly as important as clocking the turbo at 6:00, having no bends sharper than 45 degrees, and insuring the ID is no smaller than 1/2" (including fittings).
Knowing it was intended to be the connection point does add some weight to the "below the oil drain is OK" theory.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: BONAMI SEATING RINGS? Reply with quote

I gotta question about Bonami in seating rings, what keeps the bon-ami out of the bearings? Isn't that stuff quite fine? Will the Bonami tend to wear down the bearings as well as the rings?

I was wondering whether you used a break in oil - I recall I used a 30 weight Non-detergent oil on the old 40 HP + rebuilds I did years ago. The non detergent oil seemed to work quite well for 1-2000 Miles. Of course I did not use a non-detergent oil for a prolonged period, when I switched over to a detergent based oil, I would use shell 30 Weight, I liked to change oil on 1500 mi intervals, While I would be traveling in the Mojave Desert with summer temps above 110 Degrees F, I would use streight 40 weight on air cooled 1600 engines.

Is there a break in oil that can be used on AAZ's?
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using straight dino Rotella diesel oil, with a Redline break-in addative.

The Bon-Ami will indeed get into the crankcase oil, which is why you're supposed to change the oil immediately after doing the process. Since I have a remote oil filter setup, I re-routed an oil line to skip the filters, and dumped the oil after I put in the powder.

I'm wondering how big a fitting I can get ito the pan bung... is there enough meat there to hold a 1/2" NPT thread fitting?

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
I'm using straight dino Rotella diesel oil, with a Redline break-in addative.

The Bon-Ami will indeed get into the crankcase oil, which is why you're supposed to change the oil immediately after doing the process. Since I have a remote oil filter setup, I re-routed an oil line to skip the filters, and dumped the oil after I put in the powder.

I'm wondering how big a fitting I can get ito the pan bung... is there enough meat there to hold a 1/2" NPT thread fitting?

If your pan is like the one I posted above, I'd definitely say its too thin.

A bulk-head fitting would be your best shot. However if your pan IS like mine, libby says the port with the bolt/plug in it IS the drain connection.
[img][/img]
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a TD pan with the factory drain port like yours. I think it's an M12 thread... making it slightly smaller than 1/2".

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: