Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

The engine looks right at home Very Happy . Apologies if you mentioned it, what code 1.8t is that? Although I own an A4, I'm not quite up on the pre/post facelift differences to where I can guess model year.
Also, any plans for using the snub nose mount? Would there be any benefit tying it into the engine mount bar? If even to provide mounting for a future skid plate or lower motor protection?

Keep up the great work, thanks for the documentation!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments fleet. This engine is a 2001 AWM, but with that new mount bar, we can use any 1.8t from Passat or Audi A4 from 1997 to 2005.

There are no plans as of yet for use of the snub mount. Based on my other 1.8t Vanagons, they don't seem to needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

That looks fantastic.

But -- well, it's a little bittersweet. This project was one of my inspirations when I was converting my van to AAZ power, and there were so many very well done aspects of the project!

Honestly, though, it looks great.
rlevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

I agree with the above.
I've been using this post as a reference and inspiration but now it's kinda sad for me.
Van is going to be awesome I'm sure, based on everything I've heard about the 1.8T, but I'm partial to diesel so forging ahead regardless.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

All these pictures makes me wish I had another 1.8t swap in progress myself. Fun stuff.

I struggled for years with wanting a diesel too, but after driving my 1.8t for the last 1-1/2 years I don't anymore. The RPM range of the 1.8t is tailor made for a stock 4 speed. These motors are freeway fliers and hill climbers wrapped into the same package.

Nice work Andrew. I agree on the snubber, with just the stock side mounts they are very smooth.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

I like diesels too, Ive got a stock diesel '82 Vanagon, an '81 rabbit pick-up, an MK4 TDi, and Ive probably had at least a dozen others. I've also had many 1.8t cars and Vanagons. As the owner of a VW / Audi shop, Ive worked on hundreds of others for the past 25 years.

Jerry is a smart guy, every bit of the work he did that I took out was very well done. This project has fought him every bit of the way once he got it runningThe 1.8t is a great engine proven to work very nicely in our vans. Would a diesel ever be able to match the reliability, power, economy, availability, smoothness, cleanliness, lack of smell, and quietness? I think a TDi diesel could come very close, from my experience, I don't think any of the non-TDi diesels could.

I had been looking to design this 1.8t kit and had been talking with Jerry about it. He was tired of the constant issues he was having with his diesel. I offered to do the swap on his van, and he will be able to just turn the key and go for a very nice price.

There is no diesel hate going on here, just a preference for a nice smooth1.8t at this time.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

First road test went very nicely! These engines make lots of very nice smooth clean power! Unlike the diesel I pulled out, it didn't dump all the oil all over the road. No smoke, no stink, no clatter, no glow plug wait, no shake, no black spots on the driveway, no black gunk covering the engine bay just waiting to cover your arms.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

Jerry tries to be nice, but I have forgotten some stuff that took place over the last few years... sorry about that connection size, that must have been a real W.T.F. when you tried to connect the shaft. A result of getting a larger shaft from Germany. Which is now for sale, folks... Smile

I'm loving the way this has shaped up, and also the fact that we've gone with the motor only, not attached to the Audi trans. All the trans equipment is essentially brand new, including the South African sourced transmission, that is all aluminum and weights quite a bit more than the orignal trans.

Returning to gasoline was more a side bar in getting this motor. I've been matching Andrew's work for a few years with the 1.8T and have just marveled at it's powering the Vanagon. I have the same motor in my '04 Passat 4Motion 5spd and it is so quiet, modern and powerful I would not even consider going back to the flat 4. The only slight side step is having to raise the back to clear the motor, as is done on just about every other swap except Subarus and 50-deg diesels.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
BlueWestyDiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:
By the way, I've often wondered how different the experience of going from a boxer to an AAZ would be than from an original diesel to an AAZ.

I mean, my van, to begin with, was loud, rattled, left black oil stains wherever it was parked, etc., and was absurdly slow. Now it is somewhat less loud, usually does not stain driveways, and maintains highway speeds up steep grades.

But sometimes when I hear a WBX I think that if I started with a smooth engine like, maybe I wouldn't always be sure that I did the right thing.

Kinda sad to see the van go to back to a gasser, but in all it is what the owner prefers and enjoys. The 1.8T is a great engine, our A4 has one and had a Passat with AEB code with over 200K miles and ran like a top. Just a bullet proof engine.

I have 2 '82 diesel westys and have followed this build for along time, picked up the intercooler idea for my AAZ swap from the original 1.6 NA.

To answer your question going from the 1.6 NA diesel to a AAZ was a world of difference, the van drives like a normal car. Sure lots of vibration but no more then the 1.6 was. Part of the key is getting the gearing right. I used the original air cooled gearing and have the stock 14" wheels. The van has tons of power, but not top end speed. When my tires wear out, the plan is to replace with larger tires/rims.

The second van I am currently working on is another '82 that will get a mTDI AHU/1z with taller 3rd and 4th gears, bigger tires/rims. This should help the van go down the road faster.

Now the diesel vs gas? If you have a diesel van stay with diesel and a AAZ or mTDI is almost a drop in, otherwise plenty of gas options.

This has been a great build to follow and starting a new chapter with the 1.8T.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Turbodiesel swap into '86 Vanagon Syncro Reply with quote

Syncroincity wrote:
The only slight side step is having to raise the back to clear the motor, as is done on just about every other swap except Subarus and 50-deg diesels.
And Bostig/Zetec Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Jump to:
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: