Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does bearing groove line up with oil hole?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Does bearing groove line up with oil hole? Reply with quote

I tore my 2332 long block back down to check the alignment of the bearing grooves and case oiling holes in my CB White Rhino case with Silverline main bearings, CB crank with Chevy rod journals with Clevite rod bearings, just to get peace of mind after seeing other peoples seized up fresh builds here on thesamba.

How the heck can I get my #1 Silverline main bearing to tell me if the oil groove in it sits directly over top of the oiling hole in the case?

I feel stupid to have to ask, but I've tried using grease, a sharpie, and clay and I cannot see the hole when the bearing is sitting over top of it, and I can't for the life of me find anything that will leave witness marks in either the case bearing saddle or the bearing itself Embarassed

Once I'm satisfied with #1, do #2, 3, and 4 need this same attention? I've heard that only #1 suffers from this but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any tips and tricks as I am not clever nor patient and don't want to screw this up!
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Does bearing groove line up with oil hole? Reply with quote

Smear a thin coat of axle grease into the bearing saddle right around the oil hole. Remove any grease that made its way into the hole. Take the bearing, and line up the dowel pin, and then press the bearing into place.

After its seated, carefully remove the bearing and look on the backside. There should be a defined line where the grease is NOT. The clean spot is the hole. Use a scribe to carefully mark the hole, and then wipe the grease off. Use your tool of choice to make a small dish in the bearing completely removing the little half moon you marked off.

It is rarely more than a half hole.

Brian
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Does bearing groove line up with oil hole? Reply with quote

Interesting, as I was just comparing a pair of KS bearings versus a Silverline set today. The KS oil hole in the #1 is .240". In the Silverline it is only .160"

Thats 50%
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Does bearing groove line up with oil hole? Reply with quote

Yet another reason to not use silverline bearings. Rolling Eyes

Brian
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Does bearing groove line up with oil hole? Reply with quote

Why don't you take a piece of paper and make a template, then you can place it against the case and on the bearing and compare.

"more than half a hole is good to go" is the rule for most old engines. It does not need to line up 100%
The oil flow is determined by the bearing clearance and how big the relieved area, or groove is... inside the bearing.
Some modern stuff maybe that's not true anymore.... hole drilling technology has improved to where they can drill smaller holes accurately. Check out some subaru bearings Shocked

You do see experts matching up all the holes perfect, but.....I would say it is a matter of workmanship. After they already mastered the details that critically matter.
There is a common saying
"First you get good, then you get fast"..... (and I might add at the end)
and then we can make it elegant.

I'm not saying to ignore the issue, I don't trust these bearings, check everything you are able to check.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Does bearing groove line up with oil hole? Reply with quote

Also, comparing the external #1 main bearing groove, the silverline is offset towards the dowel pin, not like the ks. , maybe .030, didnt measure.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Does bearing groove line up with oil hole? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Smear a thin coat of axle grease into the bearing saddle right around the oil hole. Remove any grease that made its way into the hole. Take the bearing, and line up the dowel pin, and then press the bearing into place.

After its seated, carefully remove the bearing and look on the backside. There should be a defined line where the grease is NOT. The clean spot is the hole. Use a scribe to carefully mark the hole, and then wipe the grease off. Use your tool of choice to make a small dish in the bearing completely removing the little half moon you marked off.

It is rarely more than a half hole.

Brian

Thanks Brian and everyone that responded.

I was able to get the witness marks on the silverline #1 bearing:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a couple old bearings to compare it to and they look very similar:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm going to measure how well the grooves of the silverline bearing is spaced when compared to the 2 bottom, old (OG?) ones. Even if the bearing groove is spaced the same, since my 2332 will potentially be spinning at twice the rpm of a stocker I'll want to open up the bearing inside the witness mark.

I'm feeling better already than I was yesterday. Again thanks!

Ted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: