Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Internal Groove Main Bearings
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Internal Groove Main Bearings Reply with quote

So after a quick search and a few phone calls...internal groove main bearings aren't being made anymore.
I found one seller in the classifieds that is asking $200 for a set of NOS bearings, and have also seen the option of milling out the insides of a steelbacked bearing.
So with my current crank being a straight drilled stroker, are my only current options to solve this situation finding a NOS set, or milling out a set of OD Grooved steel back bearings?

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Internal Groove Main Bearings Reply with quote

Or you could cut a groove in the main journals like Scat does on their upper end cranks.

Brian
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Internal Groove Main Bearings Reply with quote

Empi stroker cranks have main bearing grooves as well. I think if you don't want to buy a new crank though your option is to groove the inside of the bearings. I just learned about all this myself from the great folks here.

Regards,
Jason
18 GTI
Some beat up British bikes
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Internal Groove Main Bearings Reply with quote

Jose at dpr says they're not necessary, I asked as I've a dpr straight drilled crank. I managed to find a nos internal grooved centre main bearing so I used it anyway.
Other DIY fixes recommended to me was to scallop the crank oil holes.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Internal Groove Main Bearings Reply with quote

They are in the classified for less...I recently bought mine for $63 shipped.

What is your crank / case cut?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Internal Groove Main Bearings Reply with quote

You could do nothing and run it as-is.

Plenty of motors survive just fine without grooves.

It's not really necessary, but.. if you really want it, then go for it...
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Internal Groove Main Bearings Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
Jose at dpr says they're not necessary, I asked as I've a dpr straight drilled crank. I managed to find a nos internal grooved centre main bearing so I used it anyway.
Other DIY fixes recommended to me was to scallop the crank oil holes.

I called Jose yesterday and he was basically appalled that I was questioning it Laughing
I explained my concern and he said it would be fine with external grooved bearings...
It still concerns me, but to a much lesser degree now.

EDIT: I currently have new std/std Silverline Main Bearings that were initially going to be used prior to noticing the single drill/no scalloped crank hole.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Internal Groove Main Bearings Reply with quote

Ebay is your best bet for internal grooved split bearing. Just bought some a few months ago.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: