Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New bay window owner/Watercooled Conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: New bay window owner/Watercooled Conversion Reply with quote

I recently talked my wife into purchasing a bay window as our first bus. We're no stranger to VW's but this is our first type 2. We enjoy camping at VW shows, and we also have a rail buggy we take to the woods a few times a year. Until now, we've tent camped, but are growing tired of that. After hanging out in a friends early bay westy, we decided a westy could work for us fine. Currently it's just my wife and I but we are hoping to try for a baby next year.

So enough about us, onto the bus. I honestly only looked for a week, but as soon as this bus came up on the samba it seemed perfect for us. My wife's favorite color is green, the bus seems in very good shape minus the motor (more on that in a minute), and best of all, it seemed like a very good deal. After a very long and nervous weekend of waiting to get ahold of the seller, I drug my friend and my trailer from north of Tampa to Sarasota (a little over 100 miles) to go and get it. We paid the asking price of $1500 which I think is more than fair, especially considering how the bays are jumping in popularity around Florida.

The bus is a 78 Westy. It really doesn't have much rust. Around the windshield (mainly the bottom), bottom of the nose at the floors (not bad), the floors at the step in front of the front tire, and a couple of very small spots on the cargo floor (the worst is from the leaking vent window in the back on the drivers side, but it still isn't bad).

The interior is in very good shape, with only the cooler cabinet being water damaged (from that leaky window). It was included so I can use it as a template if we decide to do that. All of the latches are in place and work.

The rock and roll bed and rear bed cushion look brand new, the front seats are in good shape with some wear on the covers. The top cushion on the roof looks brand new, but it's missing the extension pieces that go in the opening. It's missing the childs cot, but came with all curtains (even the wrap around for the windshield and front windows) as well as the mosquito net for the rear hatch.

OK, so our plans are to preserve the interior and the body and drive the heck out of it.

Mechanically, this is where I predict some drama. I plan to swap a Chevy Ecotec 2.2 for an engine. I have a motor, computer and harness in my garage that I was saving for our next rail buggy. I intend to mount a radiator between the frame rails.

I also plan to build a rear disk brake setup. I hate drum brakes, and as I said, I intend to pull our rail buggy with it on a trailer, so I'd love as much braking as possible.

Here are the pics from the ad. I'll take some better pics of the rust and document my progress.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Mr. Unpopular on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Bus too bad you're not staying with the Type IV.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, between wanting to drive all over Florida camping in it, and letting my wife drive it around town, I just can't justify keeping it air cooled.

I know a TIV can be made reliable and powerful and all that, but I've got less into the motor, computer, harness and alternator than I'd have in a set of main bearings for the TIV. And with all of the horror stories about shoddy parts and machining lately, it's a no brainer to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pics and good luck with your build.
phoneguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be an interesting build to say the least,start a thread on it !

1971 Supervert
1977 Westfalia
jonblack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching this thread, as I have interest in swapping a different engine into my bus. I have always been a Honda Civic guy. Would love to put a simple D16 engine into my bus but don't know how to get around the fact the Honda engine rotates in the opposite direction as the VW 1600.

Anyway, good luck with your build, I will be interested to see how it progresses.

jonblack
Bosch 205T - has leaky vacuum advance unit - do you have a reasonably priced one?
Points and condensor
Here to learn how to repair and maintain my bus
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer Honda's spin the right way. I have friends with Honda's in their rail buggies and those motors work very well. One has a J35 V6 from an Odyssey, one has a F22 from an S2000, and another recently purchased a K24 from an RSX for his race car.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped a good friend of mine do the water cooled engine swap. He used the old Toyota 4 cyl 1.8 which were pretty good engines back in the 80's. Biggest hurdles where making/creating the rear engine hanger to fit the Bus ('76 Riviera), creating the exhaust and setting up the radiator. We never got around to figure out a heating system for the interior. Don't forget you need the adapter stuff for the engine to transmission. Additionally, I hope you're good at electrical wiring!
It was a major undertaking and I learned how to weld. I don't mean to be dis-persuasive, but it is a lot of work. You're gonna need Bus rated tires too, the ones on there now are passsenger car tires if I'm not mistaken.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got quite a bit of experience welding (I built my rail buggy) and have done an Ecotec swap in a rail buggy for a friend, including stripping down the wiring harness. The fab work and electrical work don't scare me, that's what I'm good at Very Happy

I'll post pictures along the way of everything I do.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! can't wait to see your pics!!!! Have fun!!!!
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the tires, I will definitely swap to truck rated. This is a heavy camper, we take alot of gear to the woods, and towing a buggy. No chances will be taken there.

The question I now have is should I upgrade to 15" rims or keep the 14's. I'd like to eventually lower the bus a couple of inches so my wife can get in and out of the front seats easier, and it seems most of the 15" truck tires are bigger than stock.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO I would stay with 14's. If you opt for 15's then do a tire size calculator that will keep your speedometer in the groove. Lowering the Bus is your option, that involves quite a bit of work as well. There was a topic I think about a year ago concerning how people get into the front seats, everyone has their own method.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great project. The up side of going to 15`s is you will have more tire options.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only more options, but more likely to get a replacement if I have a tire blow out in the middle of nowhere. I will have a spare either way, but it's nice to know another tire isn't a day away.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right. It seems that 14 is now a special order item.
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your powertrain plan, you'll live up to your screenname around here. Cool

If you do it right, hardly anyone will even be able to tell until you hitch up your big trailer or pass them.
I have yet to find your average "hey nice bus" person able to pick up that its not aircooled.

PM me if you ever need pictures or ideas of "where/how should I put ___" along the way.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Krautski! I've pretty much decided that under the bus is the best place for the radiator mainly because it will look stock. I need to make sure wherever I choose works well because towing in Florida in the summer will definitely test a system.

My wife and I can't wait to get started! We're hoping to have it drivable for the Nough Dough Bus Show next year as that's a great event with awesome camping.
kruton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet find neighbor - i live in the space coast and i recently just got my first bus too. I have been finishing the restore and just waiting for my motor to get rebuilt then ill be on the road. I am very interested to see your progress on the engine conversion. Good Luck!

Florida Licensed Solar Contractor
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to use 15 inch wheels to get your gearing within reasonable range. I have 205/75/15 tires that are @2 inches taller than stock. I also had to get a 6 rib trans to get the taller gearing. With these changes my highway rpm is @3500 at 70mph. With the stock tires and a 3 rib trans I'd been at 4500, and no watercooled engine will live long running like that for hours on end. My whole install is pretty low profile and 100% reversable. The ecotec is a pretty good option but doesn't make a ton of low end torque stock. Most were coupled to automatics so no one knew of that flaw. If you ever drove a manual trans cavi you'd know they're lame down low. They do respond well to turbos though.

You'll love your bus more when you're done! My bus has a full camper set up and gets close to 20mpg. I hope to improve that by doing a efi swap soon enough.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
That's the one you want! It's the largest vw used and the best for holding the ecotec's power. I'm using a esslinger adapter with my ford 2.3l and regret not having it clearanced for the larger disc. I'm stuck with the 200mm (bug sized) disc. I will be upgrading it soon. When I'm winging through the gears I get some slipage.

On the ecotec. The water pump and head design of the cavalier/saturn transverse setup is horrible for use in a bus. There are lots of bits that run into the firewall area. Will you be using a RWD version of this engine ie-saturn sky...? I've dealt with some high HP fwd versions of this and it's a great engine structure to begin with as long as pre- 2002 units are used. Start a build thread because I'm sure others would be as interested as I am in this.

He Chazz I copied your post from my other thread so we can keep all of the ecotec swap in one area. Can you elaborate on the water pump and head issues you were talking about? My motor is from a fwd.

We've done an ecotec swap in a buggy and didn't have any issues, but space isn't as much of a concern and the radiator was mounted high eliminating most air pocket concerns.

I can't see what firewall issues we'd have since the only thing on the back of the motor is the power steering pump which will be getting blocked off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: