Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel injection timing/idle speed
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
web macomber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: fuel injection timing/idle speed Reply with quote

I have been having FI issues and have messed with the timing and idle speed adjustment. As I troubleshoot my main problem, I want the timing and idle to be at least close. Is there a starting point that I can visually set the distributor to without the engine running. Same for the idle screw. If I seat it, how many full turns out, again just as a starting point?

Thanks
wm Confused
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel injection timing/idle speed Reply with quote

web macomber wrote:
Is there a starting point that I can visually set the distributor to without the engine running. Same for the idle screw. If I seat it, how many full turns out, again just as a starting point?

The distributor - if you've ever static timed a Bug you can do the same with this one. You just have to compensate for the 7 degrees retard (I'm assuming you have an EFI DVDA distributor here) - so about 2° BTDC statically will be pretty close. If you have some other distributor, well it will depend on which one it is.

The air bypass idle screw - I can't say as I've seen an inital setting for those.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put that bad boy to TDC and it will start, won't run well but it will start. Then time it correctly with yoru timing light.

Put the idle screw out a couple of turns from all the way in and it will run, maybe a little fast, but it will run until you can adjust it tot he bentley spec.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: