Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolest VW yard EVER, at least in S-E USA! Sunray Bugs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Sunray Bugs Reply with quote

Well... I see a lot of second hand inaccurate misinformation on this thread.

Anyone who wants accurate information about this issue is welcome to pose their questions and I will do my best to provide some answers. That said, what I won't tolerate are personal attacks, insults, profanity or any other actions that are not only disrespectful and rude, but against the forum rules.

Should that happen, you will be reported to the moderators and this thread could (at a moderator's discretion) be locked down.

In case you need a refresher course on being civil, here is a link to the rules. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78603

Now that we have the ground rules out of the way. Hello everyone. Interesting stuff going on here, eh? Very Happy

Last edited by Sunray Bugs on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:46 am; edited 2 times in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Some posts were removed, basically due to the reasons the user Sunray Bugs mentioned above.

Quote:
...this thread will be locked down by the moderators

Always possible but you cannot speak for the site moderators.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Sunray Bugs Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:
Some posts were removed, basically due to the reasons the user Sunray Bugs mentioned above.

Quote:
...this thread will be locked down by the moderators

Always possible but you cannot speak for the site moderators.

Hi Everett,
Noted and agreed. Thank you for the comment. Not attempting to speak for moderators, just felt I should mention the possibility due to a recent experience here where that indeed did happen. You have a great site here and we're happy to be a part of it.

I have clarified this comment in the above post.
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DAIZEE"]oh I'd love 3 jalousies! Too far.

From the pics looks like more than just VW products there.

Hello Daizee. Yes the crusher got the jalousies on that bus unfortunately, however, there are several other sets left that are safe and put away if you need some.

You are correct. A large number of american cars and foreign makes other than VW's were in this yard at one time. In the months leading up to this event, Corky had begun scrapping these out and had mobile crushers on the site several times over the past year. His plan was to crush all of the NON-VW vehicles and get them off the property and then dissassemble the VW's, salvaging as many good parts as he could while leaving the crushing of any VW scrap for last. Several hundred American cars and Japanese cars were crushed prior to the county coming in as Corky was attempting to comply with the court order. Due to legal reasons, we cannot go into much detail other than to say that there was a misunderstanding that lead to this ultimate end scenario.
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:

Like others I brought an empty trailer with hopes of at least saving one or two projects from the gallows, but no such luck. Every single car I asked Corky about, there was an excuse why it couldn't be sold. I.e. "I better not sell that one, that ones a customers car, I'm going to keep that one for myself, we are moving that one to my brothers house," etc. When I finally did find a super beetle that looked as though it could be made roadworthy again, he quoted me a figure of $3,000 claiming the car had special widened wheels and the paint is pretty when it's shined up. Keep in mind the car was in reality covered in moss, mildew, and surface rust. This happened throughout the day, and trailers left empty, including mine.

I don't doubt that SunRay has helped lots of people in the community by shipping parts all around the world and helping people in the southeast as well. BUT, hoarding cars and storing them for so long in a harsh environment like Florida has rendered everything useless, including 5 type 34 Ghias, numerous 64 and earlier beetles, split buses,etc. If anyone is still inclined to go out there to pick through the remnants, do so with low expectations. Practically everything left needs heater channels/pans/quarter panels at the very least. There are numerous '67 deck lids, a semaphore car with intact posts, and an oval with rear glass and some interior intact. That's about it. Everything else is either wrecked, rusty, and generally beyond repair. If anyone has a car stored there, I suggest you grab it at once as the cars out front will be confiscated and crushed come Friday if they are not licensed and current on the tags...

OK. I would like to respond to this. Over the weekend Corky went through the yard and picked out cars that were running cars or drivers, rebuildable cars, customer cars, cars from his personal collection, etc. and we had these vehicles in a staging area to be moved off the property to another location nearby that is safe and correctly zoned for vehicle storage. Of course, these vehicles were the cream of the crop so to speak, so there was a lot of interest from people who did not understand what was going on and assumed (incorrectly) that this was part of the liquidation. The parts cars and inoperable vehicles were the vehicles that needed to be removed.

As for the condition of many of these vehicles being rusted completely away due to being stored outdoors in a harsh environment, etc.... what most people don't realize is that a lot of these vehicles were part of several yards that were cleared out in the northern states many years ago. A good portion of them came to us that way as they lived their lives out in Iowa, Georgia, Alabama and other locales where salt was used on the winter roads. By the time they ended their lives in these other states, many of them were already in advanced stages of cancer due to salt. But we bought them for parts cars and most were too far gone to begin with.

Last edited by Sunray Bugs on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This yard was one of the largest yards in the Southeastern United States if not the entire country. VW parts originating from this yard were shipped all over the world. The man had VW-vision well beyond many others in the industry and dating as far back as the 1980's. It just so happens the business opportunity he saw involved VW's. And from this opportunity that he found, he developed a passion for the cars, the history and most of all the interesting people he met along the way.

Over the years many many VW salvage yards, repair shops, parts stores, restoration shops came and went. Many of the old timers sold out, retired or died off. When this happened often times, Corky would be there to collect what he could and it would make it's way to Dade City, Florida to be redistributed across the world. This was an era of consolidation and the cars and parts came from all over the Southeastern United States and as far as Iowa... If Corky hadn't saved them in the 80's and 90's, most of it would have met it's fate with the crusher or scrap metal facility long ago.

Even back in those early days, the man had the foresight to see what was coming. He had the vision to keep it from going to the crusher so that other enthusiasts could put it to good use. And, he made a decent living off of his "hobby" for the last part of his life. He is 82 years old, now. He has done a lot of good for this industry and the hobby and befriended VW enthusiasts all across the globe.

Last edited by Sunray Bugs on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This business consists of two leased buildings and is on a piece of property that is approx. 10 acres or so. The business at it's peak in the 1990's employed 10-12 people that were involved in building cars for daily drivers, doing full-on restorations and customs, building kit cars, manufacturing fiberglass parts including dune buggies and kit car bodies in addition to the salvage operation.

During these years, parts were required not only to fuel the "used parts" or "salvage" portion of the operation, but also for use in the restorations, the rehabilitation of vehicles for daily drivers, the building of the kit cars and last but NOT least the restoration of cars for Corky's private collection.

Most of the profits in those days came from the restorations, repairs, car builds etc. and if you do not have good cores to start with or a good supply of parts for use on your restorations, you are in trouble. That is why over the years many of the items people wanted to buy were "not for sale".

With that said, Corky has enjoyed his collection over the years and is now going to weed out some of the vehicles that he has lost interest in or never found the time to complete or no longer has the space to store them.

So, we are now taking offers for 5 Type 34 Ghias in various stages of disrepair and including the 3rd oldest one known to exist in the world (according to Lee Hedges) and which is a rare sunroof model. They all need complete restoration or are simply parts cars. There is probably enough there to build two nice complete cars and have parts left over out of the 5.

Last edited by Sunray Bugs on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunray bugs wrote;

"It is not just a salvage yard, never has been."

"..the man had the foresight to see what was coming. He had the vision to keep it from going to the crusher..."

"..it is a good time to pick up some things that you may want because any of the vehicles that are slated for the crusher can be purchased for what the cars will bring for scrap metal"

"By the time they ended their lives in these other states, many of them were already in advanced stages of cancer due to salt."

So, what's all the hoopla about these VWs being crushed? It clearly sounds like these VWs are worth more money as scrap metal than as parts or parted out. Money obviously outweighs and triumphs over the sentiment to save the VWs for future generations. Clearly a business decision. Time for everyone to get over the tragic losses.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney thanks for the onsight report. Puts everything in perspective. Sad sad story and really never had to happen this way. Looking at the pictures was disturbing, such a waste, sitting there years and years with no protection from the environment. Sounds more like a personal collection than an active business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:

So, what's all the hoopla about these VWs being crushed? It clearly sounds like these VWs are worth more money as scrap metal than as parts or parted out. Money obviously outweighs and triumphs over the sentiment to save the VWs for future generations. Clearly a business decision. Time for everyone to get over the tragic losses.

Yep, get over it and move on
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt matter what is typed, the vw people in Florida know the story. We have all heard it, been there.

I hate to see all the crushing of the rusted out stored cars (for future use and collection), I wish another active yard could have bought them all and moved them.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sunray

You clearly missed the point of my Hoarders reference. I don't doubt that Corky leaves in a clean house. I was referring to the state of his yard and his unwillingness to part with anything right up to the end. Not whether or not he's a cat lover. Watch an episode sometime and you will see what I mean. Rolling Eyes

I didn't post this to start a huge fight. I wish no ill will towards Corky. HOWEVER, watching those split buses get crushed yesterday was unnecessary. There are guys that drive buses crustier than some of those were to Bulli Brigade every year. One of the single cabs still had gates on it when it was crushed. I think of how many people have told me they tried to buy them at one time, and then to see them bulldozed over yesterday makes me cringe. If Corky is so business savvy, why #1 did he not move the most profitable pieces on his yard out first? #2 why is the double cab still sitting out front not tagged and current as it will be fair game by the county come Friday? Everything I've said comes straight from the mouth of the code enforcement officers and county employees. I hardly doubt they are bluffing at this point or misinformed. I was there when Corky was served with papers yesterday for Contempt of Court. They mean business.

As far as the type 34's are concerned, i hope they can be saved for at least parts. A restoration of any of those would be a huge undertaking though. In my eyes not even cost effective. Every single one is crusty. I saw one that had vegetation growing from the inside out. Given their rarity, restoring a decent example is a massive undertaking. Parts just aren't out there. I can't see anything as rough as these as even being cost effective.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wish Corky luck with his future endeavors, but whoever originally posted the ad with the plea for help and all the sad pictures of VWs only managed to rile everyone in this hobby up. SunRay said it best when they said above do not expect to leave the yard with a rebuildable car...

Last edited by disneyherbie on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sunray Bugs Reply with quote

Sunray Bugs wrote:

Anyone who wants accurate information about this issue is welcome to pose their questions and I will do my best to provide some answers.

I have a question. Who are YOU?

Are you Corky? Do speak for Corky? Do you work for Corky?

No offense, but you use the name "Sunray Bugs" and certainly seem to speak for the salvage yard, but you've never identified yourself. There's enough misinformation floating around about this situation that it would be nice to know who is feeding us the information so we can judge how accurate it is.
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:

For me the "hoopla" should be about county bureaucrats and officials who allowed a man to operate a business for 25 years and collected tax money from him all of those years in license fees, other fees that decide one day that they don't like what he is doing and give him just a few months to try to clear up 25 years worth of "accumulation". If there is any outrage, that is where the outrage should lie... with those "very friendly" code enforcement officers not the elderly businessman who fought to save all of his possessions and ended up being strong-armed out of business by the government.

The fact of the matter is that Corky would have preferred to disassemble every vehicle, save back the parts that were good for future generations and crush the rusty scrap that had no parts value. But, to do things this way would have taken another year or two. The county only gave him a few months. They could care less about the parts or the VW community. They want to see bare land regardless of the cost or whose rights they trample on. It is a situation of uncaring government officials with their own agendas dictating what people can or can't do and issuing judgements filled with unobtainable goals and unreasonable expectations.

And as far as tragic "losses" no-one has lost more than Corky in this situation.

Last edited by Sunray Bugs on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sunray Bugs Reply with quote

guess you missed this in the heat of you getting all mad at the people that have been shit on before.
coad wrote:
Sunray Bugs wrote:

Anyone who wants accurate information about this issue is welcome to pose their questions and I will do my best to provide some answers.

I have a question. Who are YOU?

Are you Corky? Do speak for Corky? Do you work for Corky?

No offense, but you use the name "Sunray Bugs" and certainly seem to speak for the salvage yard, but you've never identified yourself. There's enough misinformation floating around about this situation that it would be nice to know who is feeding us the information so we can judge how accurate it is.

the sting of shitty service far outlasts the thrill of a good deal.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.

Last edited by Foxx on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am distanced, I can understand both sides here but the FACT is that this is happening now, didn't just happen overnight, it's been addressed for years however much anyone denies. It is a sad day for the owner and for hobbyist. That's the fact, discussing it over and over is only going to disturb people. It's a done fact, learn from it (both the collector and the business people). The time for this thread should have been years ago with the co-operation of all working together for the good of all.

It's a done deed, learn and ensure it never happens again. I suspect that some stubbornness brought this story to this conclusion. Sad but we learn and move forward. The 'what if' game can destroy every person who plays it. I see those pictures and I am disturbed, very disturbed and wonder how this could have happened. I will have to let the images go. Sad

Last edited by DAIZEE on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever Sunray Bugsis, he certainly is all over the map with the story of how this was a business helping people and then back to how it was a private collection of vehicles and parts. Based on the repeated comments from people (that have been deleted) of how they were turned away or the prices were outrageous, it sounds like the story of the typical hoarder who is now having to comply with code/zoning requirements. The earlier comment about whether the yard should have been surrounded by razor wire "like every other junkyard and no one allowed inside" made me laugh. I've been visiting junk yards (auto salvage yards) for over 20 years and have never seen one surrounded by razor wire nor have I been denied entry.

Also, Sunray Bugs repeatedly uses his long, rambling posts as an ad by announcing certain vehicles being available to the highest offer. Each long-winded explanation contradicts not only itself (hoarder versus business), but every other response regarding what is happening.

Overall, it's sad people are getting worked up over piles of rotting metal and glass being crushed.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care one way or the other about this in any real sense--I'm 2000 miles away, and nothing I've seen so far makes me think there's anything there I need to go rescue.

That said. I am puzzled about the way you're handling this. If this is really Zero Hour, and you really, truly, want to save the remaining cars, then why isn't there an accurate list of what's available? Why isn't everything clearly priced (You're still at the bullshit "make offer" stage, and it seems like we're past the point where we have time to play that game), and why on Earth is this the only ad you're running?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1231703

The ads are free for christsakes. Get off your ass, grab a camera, go take some photos, and do a dozen ads with photos and prices and details instead of sitting here in the forums whining about it. Show us you're serious about actually liquidating this stuff instead of having a pointless debate on an internet forum. In the time you've wasted here you could have had the whole inventory advertised in the classified section.

Until you do that, I think all this drama is just you asking the world to feel sorry for you.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The code enforcement officers told me he has had two years and multiple warnings to comply. Not mere months. These county officers have no motive to lie about this. Both gentleman I spoke with were nothing but nice to us. Both were clearly upset by the goings on, and just as disappointed as I was that I was leaving empty handed. Nobody wanted to see this happen. You can't blame the code enforcement guys for doing their job. One of the guys was a vw guy and had owned several VWs and restored a convertible. As we watched the claw rip apart a very restorable split single cab, he kept saying this could have all been prevented...

I agree with coad. There was plenty of salvageable stuff I witnessed being destroyed yesterday. The guys that were going around with the torches were completely overwhelmed scrambling to cut out what little they could here and there. I actually showed them what was worth saving. Corky had them pulling trivial things like dash switches when complete core motors, semaphore posts, oval glass, NICE early low back seat sets remained in cars that are probably being crushed as we speak.

Btw, we are all still waiting to hear who exactly you are SunRay...
Lobotomy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Sunray going out of business or are they liquidating? At this point it's getting pretty confusing.

I guess I'm the most angry at the fact other people are making him destroy his own property, when he has not harmed anyone.
1958 Honda c-100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: