Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolest VW yard EVER, at least in S-E USA! Sunray Bugs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunray Bugs wrote:

There is a LOT of speculation as to WHO I am or WHO VWGirl is. Yet no-one questions the identity of any of the other people posting negative comments or questions the validity of their stories. Kind of interesting to me.

I know the other posters in this thread. I don't know you, I don't know your relationship to the company or to Corky, or anything else. And at this point I'm not real comfortable with this thread. I also don't see what's left to accomplish here. This is the second thread that's turned into a bitchfest, so I think we're done.

My advice about using the classifieds still stands. Good luck, but this thread is locked and please don't start another one.

**OK, this thread is open again, but you're all on double secret probation.**

Talk about the junkyard closing but keep it civil and try to avoid hysterics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
VWGirl wrote:
GMByers wrote:
As written about on;
Itinerant@air-cooled in August
FMBC in August
VwVortex on Dec 10th
Hemmings.com on Dec 13th

If I read correctly, a post on one of the above sites, by VWgirl (I think that was the name) indicated the scrap metal price of a bus was about $500.

I have not posted about this on any of those sites nor have i quoted ANYONE ANY prices... You might want to recheck your sources. And again we are back at people making up stories and spreading rumors that have no factual basis. I know better than to quote prices for Corky... I don't even know what's left there, I'm 500 miles away from there right now. Anyone that has contacted me about this I have advised to contact sunray directly.

Must be some other VWgirl in Georgia...dunno....thanks for the suggestion to re-check my sources; I found the information below. I'll forgo the APA citation for references.

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9962

http://www.fullmoonbusclub.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?30331 "I know he would rather sell the cars and keep these parts out there rather than crush them, but metal prices are high these days and buses are bring close to $500 a piece. "

The other two sites:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5519753-...st74873644

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/sunray-bugs/

Not trying to point fingers...just trying to say this situation has and is a topic of discussion on other sites....I wonder if it is a topic on twitter, facespace and mybook.

Laughing Utterly brilliant!
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
GMByers wrote:
VWGirl wrote:
GMByers wrote:
As written about on;
Itinerant@air-cooled in August
FMBC in August
VwVortex on Dec 10th
Hemmings.com on Dec 13th

If I read correctly, a post on one of the above sites, by VWgirl (I think that was the name) indicated the scrap metal price of a bus was about $500.

I have not posted about this on any of those sites nor have i quoted ANYONE ANY prices... You might want to recheck your sources. And again we are back at people making up stories and spreading rumors that have no factual basis. I know better than to quote prices for Corky... I don't even know what's left there, I'm 500 miles away from there right now. Anyone that has contacted me about this I have advised to contact sunray directly.

Must be some other VWgirl in Georgia...dunno....thanks for the suggestion to re-check my sources; I found the information below. I'll forgo the APA citation for references.

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9962

http://www.fullmoonbusclub.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?30331 "I know he would rather sell the cars and keep these parts out there rather than crush them, but metal prices are high these days and buses are bring close to $500 a piece. "

The other two sites:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5519753-...st74873644

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/sunray-bugs/

Not trying to point fingers...just trying to say this situation has and is a topic of discussion on other sites....I wonder if it is a topic on twitter, facespace and mybook.

Laughing Utterly brilliant!

I am sorry, I didn't say that I had NEVER posted on those other sites... I said I did not post about THIS situation on those sites, and I have not. I thought that since this subject is about the cars ALL being crushed by 12/16 that this is what we were talking about... not a past ad, which while similar doesn't have much to do with this one... Yes, I posted about Sunray crushing cars a couple of months ago when I was told they had a YEAR to get rid of the other cars... and telling the approximate scrap price of a car I did not believe would lead people to believe they could get cars at scrap prices or lower or free. And I do believe that Corky is the one that told me what the scrap price is as I have no clue. That means that at very minimum that is what you should expect to pay.

So there you go, I am sorry that I didn't understand that you were saying that I was a member of another site and that I have posted about sunray before on another site. I have on many other sites too over the years.And I am sorry that you interpreted an old ad saying how much scrap metal was to mean that Corky is selling vehicles at or below several months agos scrap metal prices. But thanks for pointing out that I tried to let people know what was going on and giving them time to try and go get stuff before it was crushed...

so there you have it. Even though I live 500 miles away I spent 8 hours at Sunray last month getting parts off cars... I wish I could have spent more time there and bought more stuff. How many of you posting here complaining about the situation actually did something about it in the past couple of months? How many of you drove right past this place or very near it? I know that there are at least a few hundred of you out there that were in Dade City last month. What did you buy? Yeah... that's what I thought.

If you don't have anything to contribute to the subject then just move on. I got the word out there that these cars would all be gone by friday and that was my intent. I hope you all got what you wanted.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm saying is I thought this thread was locked just like the other one? At least it was locked at 0630 am Eastern Standard Time.

Perhaps there is a need for a sticky or dedicated thread for when people first hear of a yard closing so that anyone in the Samba community who would be interested in going would know of such an event before it happens. The dedicated thread need not have any additional information than where and by when.

What do you think Samba Mods?

Last edited by DAIZEE on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about one comment away from me locking it.

We have enough stickys around here. If this thread was just information and not people trashing, it would be fine.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see a field report from somebody Thursday night. The sheer volume of "stuff" out there was mind boggling. With the skeleton crew the county had working out there, I was skeptical about how much crushing they'd be able to accomplish by weeks end. The problem is, they are moving row by row. Once a car has the spray painted "x" of death, it's untouchable. That was the case with the split buses and trucks. Even if Corky had a change of heart last minute, it was already too late and their fates were sealed.

I like SunRay's answer to a lot of direct questions about his true identity. "Representative of the Company," have you ever thought of running for political office? You're a shoe in at giving the run around. I'm in agreement with coad about civility. And my intent here is not to stir the pot, but provide factual information from sources who were there in person on Monday. But, to come on here and question enthusiasts here is brazen, when you won't even reveal who you are yourself. Anyone in central Florida can guess who I am by my screen name. If not, my name is Tory. I happen to be friends with Corkys much younger brother Mike, who just so happens to own Mid America Motorworks in Effingham Illinois. (Amazing how quiet he's been through all of this...my guess is that backlash from this might be a wee bit bad for his multimillion dollar company if he were to comment one way or another.) He's not touched this drama with a ten foot pole since the story broke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:
I'd be curious to see a field report from somebody Thursday night.

Exactly. If anyone has FACTS to report, that's why this thread is open again.

Opinions are not needed at this point. Expect them to be deleted.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call bunk. The member posting as Sunray Bugs is either Corky's lawyer or his biographer.

I'm a reasonable customer, and I visited Corky several times in the past two decades, and what I went away with was the sense that the guy was a hoarder -- and nothing else because I wouldn't be ripped off. Yes, you could probably buy whatever you wanted, but at inflated prices. And only after you bowed down and kissed his ring.

Some of you in Southern Ontario may remember John Chipps. He was a hoarder of the first degree and never let anything go unless you overpayed. It wasn't until he died that the place opened up and enthusiasts were allowed in to purchase what had survived the ravages of time. It was a similar situation with Sunray. They just bought and bought and bought, but it was extremely difficult if not impossible to get anything back out. I hope they take all the scrap metal money they made from the crushing of old Volkswagens and throw themselves a big party.

And I'll add something positive, the weather in Florida has been beautiful. Enjoy and drive your VWs!

Heinz Nordhoff
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that the poster sunraybugs is corky's grandson? If so, I am sure he is speaking on behalf of the yard.

Oh, and thanks for unlocking the thread. Id like to see pics on the 16th posted. I'm sure I will stop by and see corky as usual on my regular trips past there.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are sticking to facts, everyone should check out this video! LOL. Seems to be the common story around here! All of these people can't be wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54yDud2pSk

Last edited by disneyherbie on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlmostOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just said.

California YOM Guide & Stories http://bit.ly/x8izYR

Looking for Catron Motors items and 1963 California plates #NHF 447.

kombi kid wrote:
I asked god for my first VW, I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bug and asked for forgiveness!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:
Since we are sticking to facts, everyone should check out this video! LOL. Seems to be the common story around here! All of these people can't be wrong...

Cleaned up pretty nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGVKZJML7Y&feature=related
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Did it ever! I'll fill ya in on what's going on with that car. Scooter is a well known and super nice vw shop owner here in Orlando. (R&S performance) Awhile back one of his customers cars was sadly hit. It was a beautiful L380 ragtop car which Scooter had done a ton of work too. This car in the video above was to be the donor clip. However, I agree with Darren here. It would make a lot more sense to graft the ragtop from the totaled bug into this car. It looks to be a pretty solid car, especially by Florida standards. Im happy at least this car was spared from the gallows of Dade City.
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Sunray Bugs Reply with quote

Here's a good video

Link

(352) 521-5660

For information FREE of The Dramba, please visit our Facebook page!

Last edited by Sunray Bugs on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Harveybacon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
disneyherbie wrote:

Link

Cleaned up pretty nice.

Link

So VwDarrin has been there! That was who I posted the other video about. They moved it to a new thread to avoid the whole SunRay discussion. Thanks moderators! You have done a great job. Thanks guys for posting these updates. The vids are cool to see, so we know how things are progressing. Glad to know SOME of the VWs are being salvaged properly. Here is the new thread ONLY for VW yards, not SunRay Bugs. Your comments should be deleted if you start that on the new thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491933.
Thanks Scooter and company. I hope some of these bugs get great new homes! The comments on the videos were just more of the same, so I will refrain from discussing them here, lol.

SunRay, Could you please make a new video of the shape of the yard? Or maybe some pics of the VWs that are getting sold/saved? I think we would like to see new info, thanks.

1971 Campmobile
M-Plate: http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-6571.htm

Last edited by Harveybacon on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today in Oklahoma the scrap yard is paying $7.00 a hundred pounds for junk cars. That's 7 cents a pound. A complete late model Bug weights 1900 Lbs, so that's around $110-$120 after you remove the gas tank and the glass, and a few other gotta keep do-dad's.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Went to Sunray today, to get some pre-66 fenders for my 67, since its a hodge podge of years anyways, and i like the big lights!

Either way, They had a little paper sign up that said they weren't selling parts, and some guys told me that as i walked in. There were A LOT of people in the offices, meetings were being held left and right. It seems some cars are left on an adjacent lot, and can not be touched because it is someone elses land, so Corky can't get them back...

But I was on a mission, got the two fenders from some really rusted beaters, and the guy helping me was super nice, and showed me around part of the lot. Rows of post 67 vans all marked for crushing, they had the mobile crusher out there, and were moving some 'verts around for crushing, Not sure how they are gonna crush everything by friday, there is a lot of stuff there...lots of valuable parts too. Decklids,fenders,lights,engines,trannies.

Corky looked pretty stressed understandably so, and offered 25bucks a fender, which i thought was a decent deal. Saw a guy taking a Thing back home, and some other cars were being taken by some people. But other than that. Seemed like a real cool place, and like everyone else has said, its a shame to see her go.
Lobotomy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a sec. EVERYTHING is going by Friday? Even the stuff on his property?
1958 Honda c-100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i was told. It's all scrap. Seems highly unlikely, just because of man power they would need to pull that off by friday. Just the racks of fenders and decklids there would take some time, and they had at least 50-70 vehicles on the lot they could get to.

I wanted to take some photos or maybe a video, but the feeling in the air was to get in and get out, because everyone had bigger things on their mind, I didn't want to seem like i was just looking around and pointing at cool stuff.

They guy i was with even let me use some tools to get a fender off a junker. But mentioned that I came at the right day, and everything was going.
Sunray Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Cleaned up pretty nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGVKZJML7Y&feature=related[/quote]

Glad to see it go to a good home and that VWDarrin is talking him into repairing it rather than cutting it up.

Also glad to see that VWDarrin considered it a bargain. It's amazing what something looks like after a good scrubbing. The moss and mildew make them look like hell, but we have found that it often actually protects it acting as a cover that absorbs the moisture. Thanks for stopping by and picking one up from us!

If you guys still need a front clip, give Corky a call before Friday, maybe there is something else down there we can salvage a good front clip off of.
(352) 521-5660

For information FREE of The Dramba, please visit our Facebook page!

Last edited by Sunray Bugs on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: