Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wacky cheap paint solution needed.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: wacky cheap paint solution needed. Reply with quote

theres a strong possibility im looseing job. have lots sanding work ahead. i want color to be anthracite gray. no can do $$$. ive seen ford gray tractor paint at tractor supply. has any body tried this? mixed colors? like to hear how you did you low buck paint job and got the color you wanted. im talkin cheap under $500 possible? i paint self. been here before too?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just painted my beetle using PPG's Delfleet Essentials line. It is a single stage paint adding activator and hardener. Went on nice, shines nice, was affordably priced as well.
Durability? I don't know but am told that it will perform well over time.

Check out my thread below for photos of the paint job
Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're limited to colors in stock. Paint itself is fine, single stage enamel. Check with your local auto paint supply store and compare price to the Nason line of paint. I did a project using it and found it to be a tad cheaper. Custom mixed Fleet Gray and I had about $300 in primer and paint. It's only been on there 2 years now, but no signs of problems.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a gun, paint booth, sanding blocks, body hammers, welder?, and air compressor...

Factory match paint, primer, filler, sandpaper, solvents, tape, gun filters, mix cups, gloves, respirator, paint suit, for under $500? You can save some money online, but you will still be hard pressed to keep it all under $500. Check prices on websites like tcp global and ebay.

If you are willing to forgo factory match paint, or are keeping body work to a minimum, you can get there on your budget. tcp global and summit racing offers several grey paints, but it won't match anthracite.

Price the whole project (especially if on a shoestring budget), not just the paint and primer, because the disposables are a big chunk of the cost.

Also, you will spend another $100 in color sanding and buffing supplies, and another $200+ in rubber seals if you are painting door and window jambs.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is nice work period! like you i have a winter problem too. working in an unheated poll barn with a torpedo heater. i throw plastic around my work area to keep heat in. floor is 35,waist to head 70 degress. not ideal. so if i weld and grind to exposed metal i spray with ospho. with the unstable temps it seems to keep the rust controled until warm weather makes further surface prep work possible. so far so good. your paint looks fine to me. i keep this brand in mind. what size compressor u use? great fabin work!
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 2hp 30gal. compressor,will have to make paint both. havent purchesd gun,s yet. i must do it all. me thinks comprssor way to small. i learn it all as i go and what advice opinions yuo all send me.
djkeev was refering to your build thread.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it's been a journey!! I've found that it is far easier and quicker to take a car apart than it is to put it all back together though!! Before you bolt it back on you, repair the item, clean the item, lubricate the item and if need be you also paint the item.

My Local paint shop used their matching computer and shot my gas door and mixed a Delfeet Essentials paint to match. You are NOT stuck with a stock color by any means! My guy will mix any color of the rainbow in Delfleet.

As far as air delivery, you simply need to try it and see how fast the pressure drops off as you spray. You'll be able to determine if the compressor will keep up while you are shooting primer. You can screw that up and it's an easy fix, finish coat? Not so easy!!

Good luck!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macco. get it covered and deal with it after the job situation is resolved or over.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Thanks, it's been a journey!! I've found that it is far easier and quicker to take a car apart than it is to put it all back together though!! Before you bolt it back on you, repair the item, clean the item, lubricate the item and if need be you also paint the item.

My Local paint shop used their matching computer and shot my gas door and mixed a Delfeet Essentials paint to match. You are NOT stuck with a stock color by any means! My guy will mix any color of the rainbow in Delfleet.

As far as air delivery, you simply need to try it and see how fast the pressure drops off as you spray. You'll be able to determine if the compressor will keep up while you are shooting primer. You can screw that up and it's an easy fix, finish coat? Not so easy!!

Good luck!!

Dave

He is if he uses the Valspar tractor paint from Tractor Supply.
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, this is gonna be more involved and costly than i imagined. im aware of Summits paints and colors,Nasson line i have to check into. never done this before i think good place to start is buy a quart of Valspar tractor ford grey. might try to mix to anthracite with addition Valspar colors. prime and paint a door or fender and see how the compressor acts. thanks for opening the can of worms......i do appreciated your help.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ok, this is gonna be more involved and costly than i imagined.

It always is.......
volksgroove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will spend way more money buying quarts of paint and small quantities of materials. Nason is a great product line to save money, but buying small quantities at a time will triple your material cost.

If you want to save money, commit to doing this project and buy gallons. Get a proper material list put together and shop for pricing. Paint is only a fraction of the cost.

Acrylic Enamel single stage will be cheapest product line, but spraying metallic single stage can be tricky. If you get a run in the paint, you cannot wetsand it out. The metallic will be distorted. Nason offers base coat/clear coat at a low price point. Metallics are best sprayed in base, then cleared over. If price is your main problem, you should choose a solid color and spray with Acrylic Enamel. I would steer clear of Synthetic Enamels because you basically are ruining your car by painting it with this... (Maaco paint job)... it never truly dries, and will have to be stripped off if you ever want to paint it again.

As far as compressors go... I have a 7hp 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld that isnt even big enough to spray a whole car with. It only supplies 10.5 cfm and you really need around 20 to paint. You can spray sections at a time, but you risk the metallic looking different. HVLP gun with a nice spray pattern is a must also.

if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help... I've been painting and restoring cars for years... starting my own shop first of the year

www.facebook.com/the.dub.lab

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.171915406233895.41758.162893870469382&type=3
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksgroove that some good advice and help. im stickn with anthracite. damn vw"s . ,pain in ass hobby. everbody seems to talk Nasson line alot. better get my list together an see whats d cost.
volksgroove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nason is a Dupont product... look for a supplier that carries Dupont
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

understood volksgroove, makes it easier. thanks.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o'reilly auto parts is a nason/dupont dealer........
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it luckystiff,thanks.
69satellite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of good results with the valspar tractor paint. Heres one guys guy he painted with tractor paint. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/body/546612-ultimate-budget-paint-job.html

I plan on your MF grey on my bus
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69satellite thats my original idea. only mixing up an anthracite grey with it. doesnt look bad to me. nice price too. ill get it sorta out in time.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $30/gallon you can afford to custom mix it and have some left over for repairs! Cool

I found 20 gallons of Spatz,Rodda cylinder enamels in the shed, but no Grays for you!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: