Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30 pict 1 (only) carb idle adjustment
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes some carbs just will not run right, even though I check all check balls, passages etc and replace all gaskets diaphrams, renew every throttle shaft bushing whether its loose or not, and resurface mating surfaces.
Im in contact with BrokenBus, and he is returning the carb to me. I will check it, and replace if necessary. I will follow up with what I find, and hopefully solve this mystery.
Tim
VolkzBitz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: 30 pict 1 Reply with quote

Yes, Everett that does make me feel better I knew I wasn't alone in this quest. Builder is standing by his product and this forum probably helps reinforce that good quality that is inherent somewhere in all of us. I will post again once shipped another 30 pict 1 that builder says he will test run first.
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found the problem. After totally stripping it down and checking everything The throttle plate was a little worn, allowing air to leak past. I tried the carb on my 1600 dp Ghia, and it runs and idles great now. I will be returning the carb to "BrokenBus", and hope he can change his handle to "FixedBus", lol.
Thanks for all the input on this.
Tim
VolkzBitz.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, thanks for standing by your shit. Looking forward to the update from the OP.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: 30 pict 1 Reply with quote

Final update, hopefully. Reinstalled carb after receiving from rebuilder. After a little tweaking bus runs great idles well @ 875 RPM. Test drove several miles with no defects noted.

So back to original question. Pict 30-1 idle adjustment. What I have learned is this. 1, you can only adjust idle on this carb using the volume control screw on the left side of the carb in conjuction with the idle control screw on the choke cam. If you can't get the carb to idle properly in a short amount of time by simply adjusting these two then something else is wrong.

2, that "something else" needs expert hands on diagnosis IMHO. Hope this helps somebody else down the road.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 1 Reply with quote

Brokenbus wrote:
...in a short amount of time...

After the manifold has warmed a little and the choke is fully open. All you said is true.

It's like a fairy tale with a happy ending but without unicorns.
bensokim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 1 Reply with quote

Brokenbus wrote:
Final update, hopefully. Reinstalled carb after receiving from rebuilder. After a little tweaking bus runs great idles well @ 875 RPM. Test drove several miles with no defects noted.

So back to original question. Pict 30-1 idle adjustment. What I have learned is this. 1, you can only adjust idle on this carb using the volume control screw on the left side of the carb in conjuction with the idle control screw on the choke cam. If you can't get the carb to idle properly in a short amount of time by simply adjusting these two then something else is wrong.

2, that "something else" needs expert hands on diagnosis IMHO. Hope this helps somebody else down the road.

Point Noted on this adjustment... one last Question? does the Pilot/Idle jet = jet on right side of carburetor, by the generator need to be turned clockwise to the END? if not How many turns and which direction of the turns?

thanks guys Very Happy
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 1 Reply with quote

bensokim wrote:
... does the Pilot/Idle jet = jet on right side of carburetor, by the generator need to be turned clockwise to the END? if not How many turns and which direction of the turns?...

Yes. It's not adjustable but is supposed to seat there. Some people run them loose as a gypsy fix.
bensokim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i turn it clockwise to the END? Surprised
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensokim wrote:
So i turn it clockwise to the END? Surprised

Yes, but don't overtorque it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bensokim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BarryL and big daddy' i have made those adjustments... i want you guys to listen to the engine run on below link and advise any corrections you feel i may need to rectify' its a 30 Pict 1 carb on a 1600 DP motor....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXBfJ_Txq2U

cheers
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensokim wrote:
.. i want you guys to listen to the engine run on below link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXBfJ_Txq2U

Can't watch those on my dial-up. Is there an audio file?
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things to start with.
1. connect the vacuum advance pipe from the carb to distributor, your getting air in through the carb.
2. get those flexible heater hoses on asap, you will over heat the engine, because the hot air is being recirculated
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: 30 pict 1 0nly Reply with quote

And painting over the fugly orange with something resembling the color black would help. Very Happy
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: 30 pict 1 0nly Reply with quote

oh and 1 other little thing. You have no automatic choke guts. Shocked
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 1 (only) carb idle adjustment Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Did you try richening the mixture? Make sure its timed right for the distributor you have (oldvolks chart has all specs)
Link to this ?
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: 30 Pict 1 (only) carb idle adjustment Reply with quote

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#A6667
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
bensokim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 1 0nly Reply with quote

Brokenbus wrote:
oh and 1 other little thing. You have no automatic choke guts. Shocked

Lol Very Happy No one needs an automatic Choke in Africa. We are in the tropics and have plenty of HEAT on air

regarding the orange colour, well ill paint the shroud Black and leave the pulley orange'

will connect the air hoses to the heat exchangers and connect the vacuum link to the canister and upload another video file for updates...

Cheers guys Orange Bug
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: 30 Reply with quote

Well it's Africa Hot here in Texas several months out of the year and a choke is still needed because the VW motor operating temp is around 200 degrees F. Engine requires choking until that tempature is achieved so unless it's 200 degrees ambient temp where you live motor still won't idle correctly. But hey if it works for you great!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: