Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making my bus go faster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After driving for 10+ years on the 401 in Toronto, I was happy to move back to the South where people drive slower, maybe not as cautious, but slower. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:
chabanais wrote:
I heard adding a light bar to the Bus will make it go faster.

The nice thing about driving a Bus is it's a massive billboard that says "I can't go fast pass me."

I use this one from time to time
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like your sign Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Making my bus go faster Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Even at 80 mph in a 60 zone we've had people come within 2' of us 3 or 4 times while passing us at speed. Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama were the worst...

i thought you lived in califonia?
shouldn't be anything new to you.

Believe it or not, Southern California drivers as a whole seem to be able to sit back, listen to music and cruise with the pack. Northern California drivers are a little bit more impatient but the distance between cars is closer to safe than what we saw in the SE. It was not common to see a hundred cars an hour driving 5'-8' behind the car in front of them at 85 mph and sometimes as little as 2' between them. Passes often were less than 2' on the right or left corner as they cut back in. Trucks gave a little more room but there were some very impatient truckers too - weaving in and out of traffic. You don't see that as much in California - probably because weaving in and out is the quickest way to get the attention of a CHP in California.
jeffsbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% SG.

I love that sign, I want one. Or at least a sticker that says something similar.

This past weekend was our first trip in the bus, 300 miles return. It ran great, 25 miles to the gallon. Still running a bit lean but not by much. Brand new engine. Time for oil change, valve adjust etc.

I'm doing 70 pulling my boat and people would still pass me, then cut me off at the end of the passing lane. Shocked And what's with the tailgating? :fist:

Top speed is about 78 on flat ground. Forget hills though, 30 tops in 3rd and less on one steep grade. 4 way flashers and try to stay out of the way.

People these days are nuts, drive crazy and don't give a flying fuk about anyone but themselves.

Cheers,

Happy Independence Day to my american neighbors.

Jeff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offrdbus70 wrote:
I disagree. Make your bus go faster! It is not realistic to keep up with traffic otherwise.
Oh and SG Kent. Get out of the fast lane dude! Very Happy
MG

Dear Offrdbus - Since you have never driven with me you don't know how I drive. I'd love for you to tailgate me, we could retrain your thinking pretty fast.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffsbugs wrote:
I agree 100% SG.

I love that sign, I want one. Or at least a sticker that says something similar.

This past weekend was our first trip in the bus, 300 miles return. It ran great, 25 miles to the gallon. Still running a bit lean but not by much. Brand new engine. Time for oil change, valve adjust etc.

I'm doing 70 pulling my boat and people would still pass me, then cut me off at the end of the passing lane. Shocked And what's with the tailgating? :fist:

Top speed is about 78 on flat ground. Forget hills though, 30 tops in 3rd and less on one steep grade. 4 way flashers and try to stay out of the way.

People these days are nuts, drive crazy and don't give a flying fuk about anyone but themselves.

Cheers,

Happy Independence Day to my american neighbors.

Jeff

25 would be a little lean unless you had a tail wind. Thank you for the Happy Independence Day. You would be celebrating too had Quebec fallen in 1775 Smile
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking for speed. I usually run 75-80 in the work truck in the left or middle lanes. I like my 1600. It performs just nice. I stick to the right lanes on I-95 and the Turnpike. I get passed like I'm standing still from time to time. I just like to relax at 55-60 mph. What I do want is more torque. I have a small boat that I wish to trailer. While visiting S.Cali. this week I had the opportunity to ride in a Samba members '68. It had a large cc T-1 motor and I was totally impressed how it pulled up a very steep incline without bogging down and remained cool at the same time. More power yes, speed not so much. Why do you Cali. guys want to go fast anyway? Seemed bumper to bumper most of the time anyway. Wink
jeffsbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

25 would be a little lean unless you had a tail wind. Thank you for the Happy Independence Day. You would be celebrating too had Quebec fallen in 1775 Smile

Good point, it is a little lean.

Laughing Shocked Wink

I sure would! We just did the Canada Day thing. Cool

Cheers,

Jeff
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that sign so much, I'm going to make one for myself. Laughing
Cut it out of black Sintra, mount it on top of a nice oblong shaped red-lens light and away we go.

I wonder...do you have a special switch to activate it or is it activated by brake?
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeowza, found this in the classifieds but I like Rubber Duck's method way more.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=497240
Emeritusx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber Duck wrote:
I like that sign so much, I'm going to make one for myself. Laughing
Cut it out of black Sintra, mount it on top of a nice oblong shaped red-lens light and away we go.

I wonder...do you have a special switch to activate it or is it activated by brake?

He said he used the defroster power and switch previously
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffsbugs wrote:

I'm doing 70 pulling my boat ...........

Glad you're on the road and doing well. That's the mileage I get with my T-1 on road trips.
70 pulling a boat with a new engine? How new, was it even broken in? And 78 on flats? Of course we have different engines and mine will top out around 85 but I run it a 60 because I want it to last.
But I would be concerned with your 30 tops in 3rd. I'd think that's lugging it big time. Time to run it in 2nd at a slower speed. When mine is stressed on grades there are speed ranges between gears that I just plain won't try to run at. I drive for what's good for the bus, not what's good for me.
As far as the highway, on some of my common trips maybe 500 cars will pass me and maybe I'll pass 1 or 2. That's like time to celebrate. Laughing But it's back and forth with semi's on grades. I'll shoot past them but on downhills they blast past me. I guess we both do the same thing by not wanting to loose speed on grades. Everyone else on the road does not have that concern.
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skid wrote:
Yeowza, found this in the classifieds but I like Rubber Duck's method way more.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=497240

I can't understand why that hasn't sold in the four years it's been posted for sale. Wink

I was running 65 to 70 (in a 70 mph zone) for a few hours yesterday in Michigan. I believe I passed four cars and three semis........but was passed by hundreds of cars!
BTW. Michigan's concrete roads suck beyond comparison.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bewitched wrote:
I agree with alot on here that making a bus go faster wont work becoz you will always have people driving faster then you.

My question is as i want to buy a bus what is the maximum speed(if the stock engine is ok,e.g 1.6,1.7,1.8 or 2 liter) the bus can reach driving on the freeway?

Here in holland the maximum speed on some highways is 100 km per hour(63 mph) or 120 km per hour(75 mph) and i want to know if a stock engine will handle this speed on the highway without any problems.

I have heard that the bus wont handle a certain speed for a long period of time but what would be a save driving speed going with the modern day traffic of now.

Greets,
Stanford

A later type 4 powered bus (091 tranny) will cruise all day at 70-75 mph. With the stock size tires, its running 4000-4200rpms which is the Max cooling for the fan.
My 77 with the CS engine loves it at that speed and just cruises along with 355F CH temps, 220F oil temps..gas mileage 17-22.
Going 80-85 mph the bus just gets loud as rpms are up there and wind noise is awful. I go that speed if I have to "make time" but prefer just to go 70-75.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffsbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Glad you're on the road and doing well. That's the mileage I get with my T-1 on road trips.
70 pulling a boat with a new engine? How new, was it even broken in? And 78 on flats? Of course we have different engines and mine will top out around 85 but I run it a 60 because I want it to last.
But I would be concerned with your 30 tops in 3rd. I'd think that's lugging it big time. Time to run it in 2nd at a slower speed. When mine is stressed on grades there are speed ranges between gears that I just plain won't try to run at. I drive for what's good for the bus, not what's good for me.

Thanks, it had a couple hundred miles on it from driving to work, up hills, etc. standard new engine stuff.
I set my tach at 4k but I don't think I'm getting WOT but that's ok. It likes 60 so I kept it there most of the trip. 70 was downhill. Laughing
78 was without 12' alum boat and trailer.
I don't lug the engine, the tach stopped working about 30 minutes into the trip but I use my ears and listen. I'm pretty sure 30/35 in third is 2500+ rpm. It seems low geared to me. (3 rib?) I agree I drive the same. I didn't put all the effort into a good engine just to abuse it.
When I fix the tach I'll have more accurate rpm/speed readings.
Smile Ya, I got used to people passing me. Oh well, it's so nice to drive I don't care.
Jeff
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine has a real cool term he uses but I forgot what it is. My descriptive term is usually 80%. That's the max pedal I give it. Actually the cable is probably adjusted to stop before it can get 100%. It saves a lot of wear and tear and damage to the linkage components and the carb throttle shaft bearings.
In those demanding situations if 80% isn't enough then it's time to downshift and run slower.
Living in the fast lane and bus mentality are cotradictory.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have found the secret....

Quote:
but I use my ears and listen

Listening and feeling what the bus is telling you is a great skill that is only aquired by some experience. Even though I like to keep a little acceleration in my pocket, sometimes have to just let them ponies run a little. They like it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the camping trip to washington and remembered this thread about driving fast. Well...lets just say I was surprised by my bus, and by the drivers in Washington too!

The bus was happy to cruise at 60 on the flats, but on the some hills, it would only go 50, and some downhills it got to 70 even! Shocked who knew! Overall, I felt that she could go faster, but the pedal was already to the metal on most cases. Maybe time to adjust the carb cable, or maybe time to finally drop that engine and put in a timesert on #3 Wink

Anyway, just thought I would add an observation: You US drivers are so courteous!! Laughing

I was actually a little intimidated at first on the I5 having read all the horror stories here (and even on this thread), but the reality pleasantly surprised me. Very Happy Every single US-plate vehicle gave me lots of room, not one, not even the semis, came up and hung around my tail as I went uphill at 50. All hung back until it was safe to overtake.

The only times I ever got tailgated, it was BC-plated vehicles, with the bigger RVs and 5th-Wheels being the main culprits. And when I got back across the border, well, 60 mph sometimes just isn't fast enough on the 80 kmh stretches on the number 1. Rolling Eyes
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only time I have experienced issues on I-5 is SF Bay are folks headed home from Los Angeles on Sunday eves when they just want to get home and don't care whom they cut off. Some will push their way between cars to get to the head of the line even though maybe 10 people are patiently waiting for a lane blocked by a slow truck to clear. We just found that some folks in the SE really had an attitude when driving where they thought they were on a NASCAR track where bump and push was normal. No question some use intimidation as a tactic to get by even though their may be no way it can happen. One recently interesting article shows that the SE has become the Meth capital of the US so this may be nothing more than tweakers mixing their tweaking and driving.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many horses live on your ranch?

Randy in Maine wrote:
sometimes have to just let them ponies run a little. They like it

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: