Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making my bus go faster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Chicago and don't have many issues on the highway. I do about 65 mph and that seems to work fine.

The problem is city driving. I constantly get cut off and people pulling out in front of me. People risking their lives so they can be a car in front me. Makes me want to to drive as slow as people think I'm driving. I can understand though. It takes a while for the old girl to get up to speed (30 mph) and then slow it all down again at the next stop light.

Honestly, I think its all in people's head. For some reason people really think they are getting where they want to go by a significant margin if they drive fast. It's really not the case. And once you commute on a bicycle you realize how going fast is a waste of time and effort.

What slows me down is thinking about what am I doing once I get to my destination. There is nothing I need to get to that is worth killing some one for. Most of the idiots that drive like crazy on their commute home, do nothing but sit on the couch and have a beer. Nothing wrong with that, but you don't have to rush to do it.

Driving fast=I control my life, to Americans. The more control you think you have the less in touch with reality you are.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
How many horses live on your ranch?

Randy in Maine wrote:
sometimes you have to just let them ponies run a little. They like it

About 100. I think a couple of them are lame though. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ray1967Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
skid wrote:
Yeowza, found this in the classifieds but I like Rubber Duck's method way more.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=497240

I can't understand why that hasn't sold in the four years it's been posted for sale. Wink

I was running 65 to 70 (in a 70 mph zone) for a few hours yesterday in Michigan. I believe I passed four cars and three semis........but was passed by hundreds of cars!
BTW. Michigan's concrete roads suck beyond comparison.

Come to Tulsa...our roads are the crappiest I have ever seen. Ive been all over the east cost and midwest. Tulsa roads are by far the worst I have ever driven on...Im from kentucky and the back roads there are better than many main roads here.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray1967Beetle wrote:
poptop tom wrote:
skid wrote:
Yeowza, found this in the classifieds but I like Rubber Duck's method way more.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=497240

I can't understand why that hasn't sold in the four years it's been posted for sale. Wink

I was running 65 to 70 (in a 70 mph zone) for a few hours yesterday in Michigan. I believe I passed four cars and three semis........but was passed by hundreds of cars!
BTW. Michigan's concrete roads suck beyond comparison.

Come to Tulsa...our roads are the crappiest I have ever seen. Ive been all over the east cost and midwest. Tulsa roads are by far the worst I have ever driven on...Im from kentucky and the back roads there are better than many main roads here.

Most side roads here in San Antonio are shit as well. They are spending billions on new interstate stuff and they cant get a two lane residencial correct Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
I'm not looking for speed. I usually run 75-80 in the work truck in the left or middle lanes. I like my 1600. It performs just nice. I stick to the right lanes on I-95 and the Turnpike. I get passed like I'm standing still from time to time. I just like to relax at 55-60 mph. What I do want is more torque. I have a small boat that I wish to trailer. While visiting S.Cali. this week I had the opportunity to ride in a Samba members '68. It had a large cc T-1 motor and I was totally impressed how it pulled up a very steep incline without bogging down and remained cool at the same time. More power yes, speed not so much. Why do you Cali. guys want to go fast anyway? Seemed bumper to bumper most of the time anyway. Wink

I-4 and i drive are the worst roads in fl. it is mainly full of tourist busy looking at dam Disney world then cutting you off to get to the dam exit, then you crash your brand new car into a pole. And finding out they have NO INSURANCE!!, i almost beat the shit out of those people #Bad Talk . Hell my brothers car just got totaled because of a dam tourist in a hummer h1 crash into the back of him at a red light. Also I-4 IS LIKE A WAR ZONE Shocked
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
stuming
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you guys are all US, but in the UK I find motorway (interstate) driving better than having a huge queue of cars following you up and down single lane roads through the country. I don't want to be on the 3 lane road (3 in once direction that is) but when I'm at 60 mph it gives people a chance to sort themselves out before passing. I get hassle driving through my home town with people cutting me up and making a point of blasting past me.

Mind you I also ride a motorbike to work, and I was knocked off this week when I was paying in a car park. Guy in the BMW didn't realise I had stopped to pay and bashed into the back. My bike: $700. His BM: $70000. I laughed it off. Wouldn't have been so happy if he'd hit my bus though.

Stu
Dr. Fantasmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered one of those "Please Pass" signs from a guy in the UK. I think that's awesome.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think alot of the problem with nutbag drivers is they 'feel' safe in a newer car with 8 airbags around them. when people die in a car crash these days, it seems that they are fuckin moving at the speed of light. i think if you want the public to slow down, remove all the airbags and replace them with razors. i really don't have any issues with any of my aircooleds on the highway, if someone is going to pass, so be it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: