Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Oval Project Questions
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: 1957 Oval Project Questions Reply with quote

Picked up a 1957 Oval last week. My first one. Pretty complete car that is disassembled. I've been around split buses, bay windows, 60's beetles, but some stuff has me scratching my head. I don't have enough hands on experience. Hope some of you with knowledge will be willing to point me in the right direction. And yes, I know how the search button works and I just ordered a Bentley manual for ovals, but it won't be here for a week.

First off, I note that it has a later beetle trans. Not sure where the numbers are where I can check the year, but not split case. My concern is the carrier bracket and the tranny mounts. They don't line up in the photo. Wrong carrier? Wrong mounts? Something else?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've read where you need an early 60's bus nose cone for this change. Don't know what kind this is, but here are some pics of the cone area. Is this correct for this modification?

Found this little guy in a bag. Something door related?

GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a crude adapter from the original.

that other piece is for the lower vent window I believe. Holds the shaft from it.
rlucas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! any overall pics of the car?
The clamp looks like the clamp for the front vent window? Bolts to the door. No idea about the transmission though...
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 54 had the same plate for a later transaxle on my car.. They sell plates that are more appealing to the eye.. but serves the same purpose.. I cleaned it up, and am going to run with it..

Heres an example of a good looking one..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1061090
I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rud helsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlucas wrote:
Nice! any overall pics of the car?
The clamp looks like the clamp for the front vent window? Bolts to the door. No idea about the transmission though...

correct about the clamp! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That transaxle carrier looks like it's bent, you could probably tweak it back into shape if you remove it, or get another one when you get new mounts, and the right bus nosecone/hockey stick, and get rid of that adapter plate.

Typical listing from a typical supplier for the nosecone, note their description of the matching hockey stick as well: They come up for sale in thesamba classifieds for less money if you're willing to wait.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-301-205-H
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:
My 54 had the same plate for a later transaxle on my car.. They sell plates that are more appealing to the eye.. but serves the same purpose.. I cleaned it up, and am going to run with it..

Heres an example of a good looking one..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1061090

keep in mind that this is a solid mount, and doesnt use a rubber mount with it. If you want to run a rubber mount, you need a Bus nosecone, Bus hockey stick.
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
That transaxle carrier looks like it's bent, you could probably tweak it back into shape if you remove it, or get another one when you get new mounts, and the right bus nosecone/hockey stick, and get rid of that adapter plate.

Typical listing from a typical supplier for the nosecone, note their description of the matching hockey stick as well: They come up for sale in thesamba classifieds for less money if you're willing to wait.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-301-205-H

Greatly apreciate these responses, especially the one above.

I'll assume from this response that I do not have the bus nose cone with the proper hockey stick and mount.

From another transmission thread whcih gave 3 options for replacing early trans, It appears one of the prior PO's selected option #3, when option #2 seems to be the better choice.

1) remove the old moumt and weld in a later front mount

2) use a 1964-67 Type 2 nose cone & hockey stick

3) use an adapter: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4749

This car is pretty nice. All the hard work is done. I have a nice 36HP turn key ready to go in. I want to address this transmission problem first.

The most recent PO did a really nice job. Since someone asked about pics here you go.

Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that's a few notches above what I expected to see after seeing that crusty looking transaxle.

A lot of people seem to like the idea of going back to the split case transaxle eventually, so I agree there is little reason to weld in the mounts when there are bolt-on nosecones that do exactly the same thing.

Now is the time for you to (attempt) replace your choke cable if yours is stuck.

There is one thing you need to be aware of. When you switch to a Bus nosecone, you may find the top of the transaxle hits the luggage shelf and you'll need to dimple the sheet metal to make it fit. Adapter plates can sometimes hide this problem by moving the transaxle slightly rearward. However, if I ever do this to another car, I'm determined to look at the possibility of using different bolts and relieving the transaxle case to try to minimize or eliminate this problem.

Here's a photo of the dimpled luggage shelf:
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
I must say that's a few notches above what I expected to see after seeing that crusty looking transaxle.

A lot of people seem to like the idea of going back to the split case transaxle eventually, so I agree there is little reason to weld in the mounts when there are bolt-on nosecones that do exactly the same thing.

Now is the time for you to (attempt) replace your choke cable if yours is stuck.

There is one thing you need to be aware of. When you switch to a Bus nosecone, you may find the top of the transaxle hits the luggage shelf and you'll need to dimple the sheet metal to make it fit. Adapter plates can sometimes hide this problem by moving the transaxle slightly rearward. However, if I ever do this to another car, I'm determined to look at the possibility of using different bolts and relieving the transaxle case to try to minimize or eliminate this problem.

this dimpling doesnt need to be done on 56 and later cars.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That photo is of my 57, and the full synchro will not fit without those dimples. Maybe others don't need it by mine does.
Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I would try to fix that rear trans carrier. It has really sustained some serious damage IMO. Otherwise,the Oval looks real nice. Congrats!
warrior1641
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
That photo is of my 57, and the full synchro will not fit without those dimples. Maybe others don't need it by mine does.

I agree I had to do the same on my 57
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:

Yes, I was also surprised by the quality of work put into this oval by the PO, who, I should add, is a very good VW person. I ended up with a very "doable" project.

I will check the choke cable. That cable, along with the clutch cable, heater cables & accelerator cable are all still there, but their 'usability" is in doubt.

I've read all the threads on the bus nosecone "dimple" and I appreciate you pointing that issue out as it made quick sense when I uncovered the other threads.

This thing will take some time, but I appreciate having the opportunity to not only ask questions but to also receive such meaningful responses. Thanks to all.
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a result of the information provided here, I decided to try to find a '60-'67 bus nosecone/hockey stick to correct the issue with the later trans in this '57 Oval. In talking to the local LEAKOILERS, one of my friends offered me a good working '67 bus trans. So I did a little research.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=469223&highlight=trans

Ok, I guess I could pull the nosecone/hockey stick off the '67 tranny and if the original mount is still behind the "hack" job you see in the earlier photos, I should be good to go. But this Oval hasn't run in years and I have no idea of the current transmissions actual condition. I know the '67 bus tranny is good.

So here's my question...

1. Is a bus tranny the same as a bug tranny in terms of the fit? (I know the gearing is different and it's 12 volt bushing in '67) I'm concerned that if I use my axles will they bolt up without issues to the '67 bus tranny?

Here are my axles where they enter the tranny now...

Right side...

Left side...

This 67 bus tranny is "end to end" with big nut RGB's. I want to remove the bus axles at the tranny and bolt my existing axles to the bus tranny and be done with it. Any problems?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should work, it's the same case and differential and side gears. Actually, the 67 might have a taller ring and pinion, but it will still bolt up. You can figure it out by seeing how much it turns when you turn the input shaft, do some math, someone here will know how many turns in 4th gear it will take to figure it out I expect. But yes, it will take your axles just fine.
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the BUS trans then you have to flip the ring gear over to the other side or you will have 4 speeds REVERSE! Shocked
The bus trans has a .82 TO 1 taller 4th gear that the .89 to 1 bug 4th.
Third gear is taller in a '67 trans and so is reverse.
The ring and pinion is also taller geared at 4.125 to 1 as the bug is 4.375 to 1.
That accounts for about 4-5 more miles per hour FASTER at the same RPM as a standard bug, PRE '67 tunnel trans.
You might be slightly over geared for a stock 36hp with the bus trans. That trans would be good if you ran a bigger cc engine or had a performance built 36hp.
These specs were taken from VW service publication "Without Guesswork"
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate those thoughtful and informative responses. I now get what is involved. I forgot about the effect of RGB's on the equation of using a bus transmission.

I still have one other option. I'm sitting on an end to end rebuilt early '59 split case bus tranny. So I guess with some work, I could go back to stock.

I really don't want to mess with this one though, since it's my backup for my bus.

Now that I know what's involved, I'll decide between the '67 bus tranny and the early 60's beetle tranny. Appreciate the information.
outoftheoffice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nice looking bug. Should be a fun project. The paint looks amazing - is that color by any chance Diamond Grey? Sure looks like it..
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outoftheoffice wrote:
Wow, very nice looking bug. Should be a fun project. The paint looks amazing - is that color by any chance Diamond Grey? Sure looks like it..

Polar Silver. While I'm not a fan of the color he chose, the PO did an excellent job on the paint. The oval was originally coral red, (a color I love), bot the PO hated it so he went with polar silver, (which I'm told was a proper color for '57). All in all, to get an oval in the NE, especially the Cleveland area, that was not loaded with rust and in need of hours and hours of welding was a blessing, so I don't think it will be too hard for me to get use to the color.

The PO even put a new wiring works replacement harness in.

I'm trying to learn about Ovals. Got the Bentley today. I started this thread to hopefully ask questions along the way and try to get it right without hacking anything to death. I'm a stock guy with some allowable changes.

Here's a few more pics while I sort out the tranny issue...

The steering box was bone dry. Seems to be loosening up now, but the front end will need attention.

While I had the chance I figured I better POR-15 the undercarriage and wells. I even managed to keep it off my hands!

At least when they painted it they really took the time (for the most part) and did a decent job of covering the original paint.

One thing I still need to figure out are bolt sizes. I've found the threads for totally stainless and the whole 8.8 strength debate but I need to learn the common oval bolt sizes. You know, 6mm X 1.25 pitch X 20mm, (If that's even a size?) A lot of the hardware on this thing is crap. Need to get that taken care of.

While I do that I'm getting the fender beading together. It's tough with only two hands!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: