Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle steering box adjustment??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Super Beetle steering box adjustment?? Reply with quote

Can anyone post any old literature on adjusting a steeringing wormgear box thats starting to bind and to replace the steering u joint thats connected to it? Someone told me today I dont have to buy a new steering box I can just adjust a skrew on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post anything for you, I can tell you how I did mine.

I raised the front end so the front wheels were off the ground. There is a inspection plate in the trunk on the right, facing the car. It is about 2 inches and you just take a screwdriver and pop it off. Below that is the steering box.
You will see on top what somewhat looks like the screw/nut on the rocker arms. Loosen the nut and take a screwdriver and either loosen the adjusting screw till you feel it in the worm gear, or tighten the screw too see which does better.
When I did mine, I tightened the adjusting screw and it made the steering tighter and I lost the shimmy. I did not get to drive the car for much longer to see if it held cus my wife wrecked the Bug.
Johnny Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarrr bummer about the wrecked bug. Was the crash due to the steering?? Ill try to loosen the skrew. Ill let you know how it goes. Thanx for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope!!!

Due to the wife not knowing how to drive a damn car in the rain, Or in any weather.
smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, you should be able to feel the worm gear when you loosen or tighten the adjusting screw. If you turn the screw and it is loose, you know you are out.
Some say that you can fill the steering box with gear oil. I did not do that. Probably would help a bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: