Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MPG for a ’72 standard Beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwalive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: MPG for a ’72 standard Beetle? Reply with quote

Would anyone be able to tell me the approximate miles per gallon I can expect from a ’72 standard Beetle?

Thanks!
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good tuned engine should be able to get 30-35 MPG if I remember right. If you baby it you can get more.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Smallsc111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's 1600 gets 25ish in town and almost 40 on the highway but remember the faster you go over 60 your mileage will drop off
jlex wrote:
Might as well be driving a Hummer.... Sad

nah, then he'd look like a jackass on top of getting crummy mileage. at least the bug looks cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid 20s was reasonable for these cars when new. But after 40 years, these cars are not only not new, but most have been subjected to 35 years of amateur repairs, modifications and deferred maintenance.

So expect anything between 15 and 35.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still made beetles in 1972?

Just being a smart ass. You have this posted in the wrong forum. We don't know anything about any cars newer then 1967. So if you post this over in the Beetle - Late Model/Super forum, you will probably get more accurate answers then you will here.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look up in technical section. in owners manual it gives a close average.since a 68 weighs 200 pounds more than a 67,it should get less MPG.a 73 has tail lights larger than head lights on a 67,so it may be heavier also.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1970 sedan never did better than 24 mpg with its stock 1600 SP engine, but my 1971 SB Convertible always got like 31 mpg (1600 DP). I just attributed that to randomness, as SB Convertible is heavier.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Just being a smart ass.

Hey now, that's my yob. Do I have to call my union rep? Wink

Max
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File a grievance.......
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Max - thought I could get away with it while you weren't looking!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock engine mild driving 25 to 35 MPG. A worn out tired engine well it is hard to say.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey vwalive, don't let all this funnin put you off.

Do you another question we can take a shot at? Wink

There are quite a lot of past threads dealing with mileage for these cars.

Max
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fairly recently rebuilt 1600dp, and I usually get about 20 mpg town, and about 30 mpg highway. But I drive it kinda fast Smile I could probably do better, if I didn't have such a heavy foot.

There are things you can do to make it better: http://www.cbperformance.com/articles.asp
They say they got 37 mpg at the end. Pretty impressive.

'68 Beetle "Sadie" (R.I.P.)
'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting thread. I read some of it and posted some of my experiences in it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458970&highlight=milage+mileage

I'm getting right at 28 with my 71 Ghia - its stock with a pair of Weber ICTs and cheap Empi GT exhaust. Runs good. That mileage is combined around town and to and from the golf course 3-4 times a week. I've gotten better in a beetle - a 64 with a high perf 1641 with dual Kadrons and .120" flycut heads for 10.3:1 compression. It got 30-32 regularly in combined driving.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty common for a stock 1600DP with a single carb to get in the low to mid 20s for MPG. I know in the 300K I've put on the 1584 and 1641 DP engines in my Baja bug over the years the only time I've gotten higher is when I've been driving the back roads or in the mountains.

FYI, here's a chart of VW engine specs I put together comparing the various ones over the years. I included VW's published fuel economy ratings. Up into the early 70s that meant the DIN70030 standard of measuring actual fuel consumption on level ground, with half the rated payload, going 3/4th of the car's rated top speed, adding 10% then computing the fuel economy.

The EPA highway ratings I think were based on the national 55MPH speed limit in place at that time. Higher driving speeds bring those numbers down.

-Andy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chart is a perfect example of.... as power, torque, displacement, and weight go up.....fuel mileage goes down.
Better fuel mileage on the interstates can be helped with dual carbs. The easier you can make an engine pump "air", the more effecient it is. Just have to resist ringing its neck with the extra juice around town.

It seems like when someone is talking to me about my Beetle, the question of fuel mileage comes into the discussion.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The EPA highway ratings I think were based on the national 55MPH speed limit in place at that time.
I don't think that's the case. The 55 limit came into effect in about 1973 or 74. The mileage claims don't show any difference at that time.

When you read mileage claims, you have to ask how fast they are driving. If you are unwilling to drive below 60mph, you're not going to get good mileage.
I did some experimenting with my Mexican Beetle last year. At 60-65 mph, I was getting 33 mpg.
55-60 mph = 36mpg
50-55 mph = 39mpg
45-50 mph = 41mpg

Anyone that tells you they get 40mpg while driving 70mph in a Bug is either full of it, or they don't know how to measure or calculate mileage.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, I think you and I are on the same page there - I was referring to the EPA Highway ratings from 1975 of 33MPG, 76-77 of 34MPG and 78-80 convertible of 30MPG as the ones with the 55MPH speed limit in mind. Compared to the DIN-spec rating of 25MPG in 1974. (of course, the 74 would have been a carb'd engine, FI certainly helps there)

I totally agree with you about people claiming to get 40MPG going 70+ is BS. Maybe if you are using Imperial gallons, but even then that's a stretch. Unless it's an isolated incident where you have a strong tail wind or were tucked in behind a semi-trailer the whole time.

-Andy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Andy you have to be Nascaring with the semi in front of you at 70+ to get 40 MPG.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: