Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Imp
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kustoms wrote:
The fronts can be karmann ghia turn signals. They are easy to get and look great. The org's, Not so easy.
The Ghia signals don't really fit the early Imps.The newer 70-71 Imps like yours have a bigger area to fit the Ghia signals. The 68-69 Imps have like only a 2" section to fit the little original lights.

See below, only way to fit the Ghia lights on 68-69 Imps in hood.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ghia or Type 3 lights on 70-71 Imps

These from a newer Jetta are pretty cheap and might not look bad.

Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger1960 wrote:
Good idea on the filter.My lead on the lights fell thru but I'd like to have anybody with the correct early Imp light(the oval plastic ones) let me know if I could try to make one from their's.One guy has nos lights but I don't want to mess them up.I have asked him to send me some shots of the nos lights to get a good look at them.
I did get an nos roll bar so I wouldn't have to chrome mine.Also,I picked up an nos front bumper, skid plate, and front Empi stabilizer bar.Of course,I paid thru the nose for these.
Please tell us all you can about the lights up front for the old Imps.I saw the old thread but would like more info and pictures.
post pics of the skid platee
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are shots ot the nos Empi skid.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/838548.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/838549.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/838550.jpg
To clarify,I do have the older Imp and am looking for the oval plastic light to re-produce.Even if it's a bad one,I think I can make a copy.Also,still looking for original painted 5.5 Sprints for the front.Fred in Chenoa,IL said I'd better see if my rear ones are true so I'll do that today.
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiberglass skid plate??
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,fiberglass as sold by Empi in the 60-70s.You can see them for sale in the Imp construction manual.
Here's a look at the oval signals we are looking for-- whttp://thegoodvolks.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=carssale&action=display&thread=3095
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn,now I see that didn't work.It was on a for sale car in Nov of 2010 in the MIchigan club, the Goodvolks.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't lay your hands on a set of those, I think the next best option is to get a set of amber Lucas 488s and mount them down on the nose of the hood, a bit outboard of those square ones in this picture. Those Ghia lights on the hood above look like hell.

Lucas 488s were one of the most common front indicators used on buggies in the 60s. They are high quality with a glass lense and dual filament bulb. They were used on cars like Cobras, Jags and Austin Healeys.

I think the original Empi ones were single filament because I see a number of them mounted together with another signal light of some type. Lucas 488s are available brand new for a fairly reasonable price. The lense lays fairly low but the socket extends back inside the car, so you'd have to be sure you have clearance under the hood where you mount them.

This is a good thread on them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455173

Actually those Ron Francis lights in the thread would probably work well for you. You could mount them in the original location and make some ovals out of stainless steel sheet to mimic the original bezels

Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BL3Manx.That was the picture I couldn't make happen.It's funny when I read my post on the skid.I've been a learner of Empi Imp for about 2 months now and try to sound like some kind of expert.I really like the Ron Francis ones but will never give up on the real deal.Any more advice on making my Imp true to form is appreciated.This is a great forum with lots of years of experience.
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you need the type that are in the upeer right? http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o157/silversandoffroad/parts%20engine%20shifter/SDC10504.jpg
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I need the upper right in any shape.
I pulled my rear Sprint to see if they were okay and found these stickers in both center caps--

I don't know how unusual that is.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I guess those rear Sprints are genuine.

Those tags will look great in the binder of Imp brochures, Empi catalogs, period magazine ads and articles about the Imp you will have to go along with the car someday.
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed a NOS old Imp front signal light and am starting to make copies for myself and other hobbyists.They will be made of urthane or epoxy and look just like the originals.I even plan to make the lenses because the orange ones seem to be unavailable.It's been suggested that I put a 2 filiment bulb in because some states require a running light up front so I'll probably go both ways on that.One question is about chroming the body of the lights.It's best,I know, to use actual triple chrome for plastic but I've looked at the 4 step stray on method as well.The problem is price.I've found a pro to use for the spray but haven't decided which way to go.Tell me what you think.I've included a shot of the light I borrowed.
My rear Sprints are actually marked 5 1/2 though they are 8" so they were rerimmed at some point.I bought a pair of true 10" old Sprints,which are dated later but will do,at least for now.The ? is--can(or should) I use the 8" on the front? If not,I'll get some 5.5 old ones for the front,as has been suggested.A wheel guy thought mine were likely ground too much to re-rerim.Please tell me if you know of a 15" that would be possible to re-rerim to go back to 5.5".
Still looking for any period Empi stuff for my 68.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/844325.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/844324.jpg

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/844325.jpg[/img
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you found an original to use as a pattern. I'd recommend trying to find someone who could cast a replica in brass. It would last forever and take a very nice chrome plating. I bet there's several places in KC that could do it.

http://www.martinfoundry.com/

I think your rear wheels were probably widened by EMPI themselves. Back then it probably only cost a few dollars to have done locally, which may actually have been cheaper than having a relatively few wider ones made at the factory. Tiny Thompson who made Burros, also widened wheels for other buggy makers including Bruce Meyers.
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.I see you think my wheels are redone by Empi and so the stickers reflect that.That probably makes sense.
I realize the metal lights would be so much better but I fear the cost would scare people off.The other would be relatively east to make and should last longer than the original.I will see about the metal ones,in brass or zinc,but I'm afraid I'm not clever enought to do it myself.I'll check with foundry shops to see what the cost might be just to have them do it off my pattern.No doubt they'd be a better light.And ,your right,they would chrome like crazy.I forgot to mention,I'll make these with LED also to modernize for guys who want that.We'll see if my plans go forward but it's looking great right now.Please let me know if you are interested in a pair.I imagine they will be $150-$200 a pair because of the chroming.If we can get a deal on the coating,I think I could do them a lot less expensively.Metal ones would be higher,I suppose.Roger at [email protected]
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger1960 wrote:

My rear Sprints are actually marked 5 1/2 though they are 8" so they were rerimmed at some point.I bought a pair of true 10" old Sprints,which are dated later but will do,at least for now.The ? is--can(or should) I use the 8" on the front? If not,I'll get some 5.5 old ones for the front,as has been suggested.A wheel guy thought mine were likely ground too much to re-rerim.Please tell me if you know of a 15" that would be possible to re-rerim to go back to 5.5".

Sprintstar wheels were made in Germany for EMPI by a company called Lemertz. The standard sizes shipped over (with a few exeptions for odd-balls like Type 3 fittments) were 4 1/2", 5 1/2" and 8" all by 15" diameter in both 5 lug and 4 lug.

Some bigger ones like the 10" ones were modified locally in California by re-rimming one of the stock sized wheel and many others were modified by wheel companies and hobbyists. Sometimes the centers were turned down on a lathe to fit the wider rims; the welding and accuracy were not always 100% eiter. The rims on the 10" 5 lug wheels I used to run on my Manx had rims that would have been more at home on a dump truck.

See link below...

http://www.lightner.net/manxclub/bugmon54.html
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David.Please tell me the size of your tires(tyres?).I like the look.The Empi constuction manual shows a 10" and mine are marked as 10JJx15 on the inside. I would have anybody interested in the front lights contact me.It seems there is little interest so I'll probably just do what is the most expedient.The other thing I hope to do is make the front badges in zinc.Thanks to all,Roger at [email protected]
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the photos from the Manxclub website (11 years ago!!!), the tire sizes were 10.5/31 X 15 rear and 185/65 X 15 front on 10x15 and 5 1/2x15 rims.

I remember those rears being lethal in the wet, I did a couple of 360 degree spins with those on!!!

Try Java in the UK for badges, I think they may have got some done for their Imp (check out their site for pics of it, it has sidepods and full engine cover). Let me know if you need help with shipping.

http://www.vwjava.webeden.co.uk/#
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good size tire for those rear rims are 295/50/15 and a good front is 215/60/15.
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tire info.I hope i don't hate those wide rears but that's what I'll start with.

On another note,I've shown a stick just like the one I have but on an original green CA car that is for sale.I purchased a Lees Empi one but it's not just the same.The knob is a little different shape.It's evident these kits came with this one or just a coincidence that both these early ones are alike.I've heard there were 2 "custom chrome shifter"s but haven't seen the other one.I being picky but want to replicate my car as found or maybe as should have been.

OutCasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
If you can find someone to lend you an old one, you should be able to have some replica housings cast in brass. You could drill and tap the housings for mounting screws and machine them to fit generic bulb sockets and JB Weld the sockets in. You could also machine the housing to fit whatever lense you could find that's as close to the originals as possible. After you have them fabricated you could have them polished and chromed and they'd be practically identical and actually better than the originals.

I saw these a while back and asked if they were still around but they're not.

I made mine own with motorcycle turn signals.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: