Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Imp
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me any period magazines that did articles on the Imp,especially the 68/69.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1079061

I think there were mostly just ads like these, no real write ups. I think Road & Track might have had one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.I just bought that one.Just trying to get as much info as possible for mine.Thanks Emiimp69.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there;s some more info in this movie Laughing

bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger1960 wrote:
I borrowed a NOS old Imp front signal light and am starting to make copies for myself and other hobbyists.They will be made of urthane or epoxy and look just like the originals.I even plan to make the lenses because the orange ones seem to be unavailable.It's been suggested that I put a 2 filiment bulb in because some states require a running light up front so I'll probably go both ways on that.One question is about chroming the body of the lights.It's best,I know, to use actual triple chrome for plastic but I've looked at the 4 step stray on method as well.The problem is price.I've found a pro to use for the spray but haven't decided which way to go.Tell me what you think.I've included a shot of the light I borrowed.
My rear Sprints are actually marked 5 1/2 though they are 8" so they were rerimmed at some point.I bought a pair of true 10" old Sprints,which are dated later but will do,at least for now.The ? is--can(or should) I use the 8" on the front? If not,I'll get some 5.5 old ones for the front,as has been suggested.A wheel guy thought mine were likely ground too much to re-rerim.Please tell me if you know of a 15" that would be possible to re-rerim to go back to 5.5".
Still looking for any period Empi stuff for my 68.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/844325.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/844324.jpg

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/844325.jpg[/img

Hi Roger.

in my opinion better not to use 8- 10 combination front-rear. 5.5- 8 is good 5.5-10 is better.

but i would change the way of thinking of most of people wrote here.

i would use the wheel u found on your car.

front mags and rear empis.

it is a real vintage solution. nowaday our taste is so fine, but in the sixties different wheels for buggies were a very common choice...and they cut fenderwell of split bus.

you found a wonderful unmolested car. unmolested i mean that seems to be all vintage.

then i would keep it vintage...with the different wheels. get some "dune buggies and hot vws 1968 year" and catch the spirit!!!!

i would be worried more for the tyres than for the wheels.

i would fit that car with front conventional tyres and rear agricultural. (farm flotation or terra tyres if you got the 10s)

and don't mind about original indicators!!! just use PERIOD good looking ones.

dune buggies were built in private garages, and bought in kit.....

every PERIOD item that feels comfortable is PERIOD CORRECT!!!!!!

if you like to do a street buggy, please, stop the goodrich t/a saga....

there are a lot of bluestreak tires aned dulop racing that would make her seem a period slalom racer.....

for years i am following the radical vintage buggy style:

no radial
no discs
no total rollbars
no autometers
no salt and pepper interiors
no star chromed alloys
no h4s
no long travel suspensions
no turbo muffler, no stingers, no quiet pack.
no carbon
no modern seats.
no turbo
no idfs

please see my blog what i mean

www.beachwheels.blogspot.com

relax and start from the metalflake!!!

don't look to the original last bolt, but keep it vintage to the last screw
modrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right on the money Falfa5. I've been trying to preach the "period correct" gospel for years, but the buggy populous still isn't ready for it yet. The vintage look isn't impressive enough right now. The modern roll-caged and radialed street buggy look is what still get's all the "wows" and "whoa's" at shows. everybody likes it, the look is always in hot vw's, it's safe, it's easy, and the majority accepts it, so, it will remain to be the default "look" for a while.

but there is hope, one samba member (ERYK) has been posting photo's of his 60's project build on this forum with alot of compliments. that example might help get the period look movement heading in the right direction.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modrod wrote:
but there is hope, one samba member (ERYK) has been posting photo's of his 60's project build on this forum with alot of compliments. that example might help get the period look movement heading in the right direction.

It could definitely be a style watershed point for street buggies.
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i were in eryk,

i would work more on wheels and tyres. too modern.

but the work is great, especially the paintjob.
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement.I've been gathering things for the buggy.Still looking for a white globe oil temp gauge to complete a set.I do see using the mags on the front but will look to put Sprints all around.They will stay gray,not chrome.It looks like the kit sold 8 wide and 10 wide for the wheels and I'll just be putting around town.I still may go with the 5.5,though. I think the younger ones make their buggies more custom and I can understand.This Imp will be stock and virtually correct for 1968 without going to Corvette type extremes.The front lights are going forward but I'm waiting on a piece of equipment to do that.They will be a lot cheaper than I thought by the time I'm done.
GTBRADLEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with Cragers for a period look or even Torque thrust wheels. They were available then as were the adapters. IMHO the stock wheels are too plain. You can get period correct looking tires that are radials.
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you mean period correct radial? can you post an example please?
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobfalfa5 wrote:

I'd rather be 'period incorrect' than dead...IMHO bias belted/crossply tires have no place on modern day roads... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually drive in front wide ovals replica and rear agricultural flotation...

i am still alive...
modrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got many friends and relatives who drove on Bias ply tires back in the 60's, 70's and even the 80's and they miraculously have survived.

We should pitch to the discovery channel a new series...."Tire week", as a follow up to "shark week", or "when tires attack!"

Don't listen to the doomsdayers Roger, your Imp should have Bias tires if you want a nice ride and the period look. Your buggy won't crash because your tires don't have a thin steel belt in them.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobfalfa5 wrote:

bobfalfa5 wrote:
i usually drive in front wide ovals replica and rear agricultural flotation...

i am still alive...

Farm implement tires on the street was illegal and a bad idea in the 60s and still is now. Beside possibly getting you a ticket, if you had a serious accident, I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance company refused to pay.

This company has bias and radial and "bias look radial". Their stuff is insanely expensive but the website is well organized and you can search for stuff by; muscle car, wide oval, raised white letters, wide whitewall, etc. It'll give you an idea of what's available.

http://www.cokertire.com/
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't need an idea, thank you.

read better above. i am already running wide ovals at the front.

i've always thought vintage cars have to be treaten as vintage cars.

in the sixties most of dune buggies were driven with this kires kinda setup.

agricultural tyres never give problems. i've tested them on road and even track. always very good response.

clear that 55mph could be top reasonable speed.

most of people talk about dying for agricultural tyres and do 150 hp, dune buggies.

i think that a 50 cv dune buggy with flotation tyres is safer than a 100 mph one with radials.

point of view....
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobfalfa5 wrote:

in the sixties most of dune buggies were driven with this kires kinda setup.

agricultural tyres never give problems. i've tested them on road and even track. always very good response.

I was there, had one, and can tell you very few street driven dune buggies used implement tires. The few that ran Goodyear Terra tires were mostly used off road. Gates Commandos and Armstrong Norsemen were fairly common. The most common was a stock VW or family car type bias tires in front and some kind of wider bias ply snow tire in back.

Implement tires on the street is a real bad idea.

You're confusing the type of tires you see in 60s dune buggy magazine articles and ads with what was really used.
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) i didn't suggested for this imp use of agricultural tyres. i named only "noradials" and "goodyear bluestreak" and "dunlop racing"

2) my car and farm flotations were just an example. MANXDAVID said more or less that use of bias tyres means to be dead, and this is a bullshit. i answered that i use something more strange than normal bias and i am still alive. Probably bl3 drove some bias, and he's alive too. He was there....

3) my father drove a 95 hp twin cam fiat 125 bias on wet for years and he's alive too.

4) goodyear bluestreak went on the can am... somethin near to 1000 hp, dulop racing: i saw them on a true cobra 427 here in monza racetrack...
wide ovals were good for 400 hp two tons muscle cars....and they are unsafe on a buggy???
aren't they good for a buggy?? too much risk?? too much horsepower??

guys, you are making them longer than it is...and seem to me you a re a little too much politically correct..... Wink

in my opinion safety is on your head, and then in your right foot...
if you have bias and you know where are your limits.... you will have no problems...

i have 6.40-15 bias on my split bus. i did 55.000 miles on them!!!

rain?? you just slow down, and you will rich home!!!!

5) i asked to post what radilas are period correct cause simply i am near to be sure that 1965 to 1970was no time for radial yet...especially in usa..
if you show me a radila tire of that period, commonly used on dune buggies, i will send you a bottle of good italian wine!!!

6) gates commando, terra tires, wide ovals, armstrong norseman, wide ovals, bluestreaks, dunlop racing, bl3, are just what you can see in old magazines. But i have no way to confuse them with "stock vw front- somethin larger rear" set up, beacause this kind of set up is figured too on the same magazines, that i own in a large amount of copies, beacuse i am an old car enthusiast and i like to study old cars to restore old cars as they were.

but i see that is a typical european way of thinking...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobfalfa5 wrote:

5) i asked to post what radilas are period correct cause simply i am near to be sure that 1965 to 1970was no time for radial yet...especially in usa..
if you show me a radila tire of that period, commonly used on dune buggies, i will send you a bottle of good italian wine!!!

Top picture is the 70 Empi catalog. I think thats a Dunlop radial on the top Sprint Star. I think the ones on the right Sportster are Fuldas maybe? I've PMd my mailing address.
Roger1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes,A little firestorm.I do appreciate all the outlooks.I'll look at bias tires and see if I can stand the cost.To me,it's fun to make this buggy as close to 1968 as possible(or practical).As I do something,other than buy pieces,I'll post pictures.I finally got my vacuum pump to do the front lights,after the goober who sent the first one lost it in the USPS.Remember,we're all in this together and have fun doing our thing. Dune buggies forever!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: