Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Formuling Steering Wheel
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: where formuling horn buttons roam free Reply with quote

I list 'em as I makes 'em Smile

on a side note: some dude left neutral feedback for a button he didn't buy (it was left by another member with a new account who'd bought one previously... with the same postal address and a different name - I suspect it was his wife's account) but despite offering to replace it if he/she could send me a photo of the button that 'broke' in transit I have yet to hear back. double bubble wrapping something flexible in a bubble wrap parcel pack seems like overkill, but somehow it broke. I suppose if it had been run over by a tank on its way over it's conceivable that it may have been damaged. just saying.

I have yet to make the flat version with the central recess (started, but it needs to be tidied up and turned into a mold) but I'll relist the latest one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171130492002

this is the one currently being flogged for those who cbf going to ebay:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=39
hollis10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Formuling horn button Reply with quote

your last post was Sep 19, 2013. are you still casting buttons? went to ebay site and found it no longer available. the samba site just had pics. you never mention the price that you sell them for, just shipping.
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: still casting Reply with quote

Hey Hollis,
Still making them, but am currently wrestling with a vacuum/pressure casting system and another (!) higher grade resin (aliphatic for those who care), which is proving to be a PITA. I've made some more, but all the work in them has made me reluctant to sell them Smile

I will list some more up in eBay shortly, as there are a few people waiting on them still.

Thanks for asking Smile
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: two more listed on ebay Reply with quote

Hi guys, made some more, but they're discounted due to being quite soft. they're supposed to be top of the range aliphatic polyurethane elastomer shore 80 hardness, but I reckon they're soft. On the bright side they look awesome Very Happy

listing for those who cbf searching for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171259313956&ssPageName=STRK:MESCX:IT

Guess I'll be back out in the workshop casting up some more as I have a few people waiting on them again. Just wish every casting came out right Razz Confused
fredges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like one that's smooth on top, if you decide to do another version..
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
's'ok Fredges I haven't forgotten you Wink I made a 'semi smooth' one the other day for kicks, but it looks terrible Laughing

Want to sponsor my cnc lathe and mill purchase? Pray
hollis10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you still make purple with your higher grade resin?
if it looks as good as the ebay one, yes i would like one(1) FORMULING style.
email me with your response

[email protected]
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: higher grade resins Reply with quote

Hey Hollis,

I can make damn near any colour, but frankly the highest grade resin (current one from the pics) is giving me the 5hit5. I have a slew of buttons which are useable and all but do not pass muster. 1 in 5 is good enough to send off, and given the cost of the ingredients and time it takes to produce them I'm considering going back to 'good', or 'better'. The difference in longevity under the worst conditions (constant abrasion, flexing and exposure to extreme UV and high temps) is probably 5 years for the originals and 10 for the ultra spec, and I highly doubt people are going to even see 'worst conditions'. This stuff is designed to take industrial wear cycles and exposure. Compared to the crap the original buttons were made from this stuff is gold plated platinum. I suspect when armageddon happens there will be cockroaches and formuling horn buttons left for aliens to discover on this barren planet 5 million years from now. Now that I'm casting at 50-60 psi the detail and lack of porosity is always great, but sometimes there are sticky bits or they come out with a shadow or irregular finish.

Post a pic of your car colour or kind of purple you're after and I'll see what happens. Hell, give me a Pantone colour code. Shocked
hollis10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know color code, but do have 1 or 2 pics. i just call her Purple Haze.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: custom button for customer's custom ride. Reply with quote

Shocked

Sweeeet! - bet that turns a few heads Very Happy Certainly not the customary look Very Happy
It's kind of a reddish purple more than a bluish one. Let the chemistry begin Twisted Evil
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Chemistry afoot Reply with quote

Hey Hollis....

here's your colour sample based on my printer and your photo Very Happy
Hope it matches in real life
hollis10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Formuling horn button Reply with quote

looks close enough. now how much we talking about?
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think is fair? Never even thought about it.

Bear in mind it's still curing, so chances are it will come out of the mold in two days and get thrown away for not being quite right. I'll post up a photo if it comes out okay.
hollis10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Formuling horn button Reply with quote

50.00 US bill(with shipping). would that do it?
if so you can post it samba or ebay.
would be good advertisement. or just invoice my paypal account. [email protected]
hollis10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Formuling horn button Reply with quote

look what i just found on ebay France "buy now" EUR 49.00 my old lady would kick my butt all the way to France, i'm pushing way past the budget now.

then i clicked on his store and found this. you can find other old and rare buttons to mold. just remember who found you a mold mine(gold mine) when you bill me for mine

http://stores.ebay.com/SURSTOCK-BUSINESS/MOYEU-POUR-VOLANT-FORMULING-/_i.html?_fsub=437469018
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I bought one from I am very happy with. I now have an orange one from him and a black one. Both are of excellent quality. The only draw back I've found is the shipping time. No big deal though, worth the wait.

07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: The Rant Reply with quote

Thanks for the props Sean, you neglected to mention that the first one I sent was a total fu6kup, tho. Laughing

TOTALLY Awesome find there Hollis, incredible what Ebay still turns up. I'd buy another one just to cast from, but I think it would not be healthy for my obsession. I would also be worried that it'd turn up cracked and in pieces, but I have to say I wouldn't mind getting one of the flat-style ones to cast from (the ones with the logo in the middle). Never actually seen them first hand, so no idea what they're like. Thanks for the link- with any luck other people who've tracked this thread down will be able to give them a go and let us cavedwellers know what they're like.

I've also been in touch with the chemists again with regard to the softness of compound 'x'. It IS in fact shore 80 hardness, but has a much slower rebound time, so it's less bouncy. More like a shock absorber than a spring. Not bad enough to keep the horn on after pressing, but certainly not what you'd expect consistency-wise. It is designed to be waterclear and thusly has to use exotic catalysts to prevent it from being cloudy once it's cured. This means that is much more reactive with the curing agents in the mold- hence the need for special barriers to reduce surface inhibition (aka post-demold stickiness).

These latest super expensive polyurethane buttons are therefore prone to being a PITA for the casual weekend hobbyist. They're also the best of the best of the best UV stability-wise, but lets face it, we're not trying to make something suitable for camel jockeys in the sahara desert. Camels don't run on twelve volt negative ground systems.

I think this will be the last batch of aliphatic mega buttons unless people are prepared to deal with the consequences of going one step too far in quality.

Custom redpurple button is out of the pressure chamber and is now in post-op and doing well. The Hollis family has a photo of it which he may or may not choose to share with the community. It is still in post-cure, but has turned out with good detail and minimal surface inhibition.

May god have mercy on our souls.

Dancing
hollis10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Formuling horn button Reply with quote

the button is here, in the car and on the wheel

VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genius!
Hoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Glad to see it made it.... but wtf is with the weird colour ?!?!!? Hope it matches up better in daylight, in person, than in does in those photos Anxious Nice custom console btw- mine's just a piece of bent alu sheet painted flat black with 50 wires hanging out the back Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: