Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rat Attack 59 Kombi Drive Out -Actual Video Now Up (Pg 12)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add dimension... As you can tell from this thread, and those of you who know Brian, know he just doesn't stop. The guy is the real-deal, and very hardcore. He does things that would make most people shrivel up into the fetal position and start to uncontrollably shake with fear. That's not some hippy hyperbole, or made up bullshit, that's the truth.

I used to think that I was a hardcore bus roadtripper. Well, Brian's the next level...whatever that means.

Nice driveout, B. Respect.

Link

Split Decision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Split Decision wrote:
Original Genius!

I could watch this over and over. The sight of that 59 jumping out of that hole made me want to work that much harder on mine! Major props, Brian.

And to think some folks can't even make'em jump out of their garage resting place! Confused

Yep, but not for long on this one! I'm almost done gExcommunicating.

On year seven of the "I'll get it done next week" engine rebuild.

74superTN wrote:
Just seems these days that unless you are dragging your engine on the ground and have crazy negative camber, people seem like you're doing it all wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Quote:
Please stop throwing away good Mr. Transporter's original brake cylinders and learn to use and trust and hone. Please pass that on. Thanks.

I'll never use a single-circuit MC in any of my VWs...personal preference, I guess.

I think Brian was referring to wheel cylinders, not master cylinders. At least in this particular instance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance today to meet Brian, chat a bit & check out the driveout bus at BusFest in Vallejo today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brian is a very cool guy & I am definitely jealous of his travels. I can't wait until the next one!

Also, I was a lucky recipient of one of the army hats. It has a previous owners name inside & now has a place of honor hanging on the shop wall. It is now a constant reminder to me that it's more about the journey than the destination. Thanks Brian!

Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Johnny O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: 59 Rat Kombi Drive out to Bus Fest 7 Reply with quote

Brian Is totally hard core. I left Friday at 420 PM and headed to his direction to pick him up to get to C Moores House in Willets. To drive 59 Kombi to Bus Fest. Got text to pick up food in San Rafeal. Got it then off to his castel after many things that had to be done. We hit the road to Willits at about 930 ish. Bombing my bus north we stopped a his hanger to get more stuff okay but the clock is tickin. We leave and we are on are way under full moon. Tomki road is a must to do tonight after stoppin for aroad soda at some bar with girls with big melons and some Ford truck redneck pirates at the bar six minuts before closing. We pounded a beer each and then bailed them thinking we were cops. while she was rubbin her melons. aAskin if we wanted some of this. We did Tomki road with no real issuses and get to C Mooores at about 3 AM. Five hours of sleep I am up ready to go. C Moore is up with errands to to and we bail to get real coffeee and chores done. We get back raise Brain to get started on the day. We found out about a yard sale wiyh VW crap.
We spent way to much time there going through crap but got some good stuff. Started to do electrical for 59 Rat Kombi about 6ish saturday night. Took till abought 10 ish to get sorted out to get on the the road to Bus fest 7. we finnally got there about 330 ish at Hippy Tims with a pit stop for some Rum before the the stores closed at 2. Stayed up all night knowing that if I sat down I would not get up Sunday Morning for Bus Fest. So we Made IT happen and there is some vids on my face book can someone trasfer them to the samba thanks.
Johnny O is know Tapping Out we are now Done......
Thanks Brian for the crazy trip Laughing Now at Home in Aptos
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian with the Bus at BusFest today.

My favorite feature of the bus:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the entire thread from start to finish. Awesome work just as i had expected from brian. I was getting text updates from him as this was going down, and i was dumping a huge cedar in the forest with my brother not far from brian to get a load of wood for BBB. Smile
Hoping to be living back in norcal soon and be able to do more wood cutting and help brian drive some of these buses out.
Dave

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
firula
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to read this thread few days ago, and i can't forgot to leave my comment:
Simply fascinating!!! This is one of THOSE SAVES!!
Great work and go ahead!

Applause Applause Applause Applause Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots of it from BusFest along with B signing a hat for TX61Ghia!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so cool, I will soon have a small piece of this drive out and it will serve as inspiration to me also to keep working on my bus.
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
This is so cool, I will soon have a small piece of this drive out and it will serve as inspiration to me also to keep working on my bus.

It's in my bag and ready to ship today!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the clandestine last stage of this mission -driving it to the show and back- I want to thank some heavy cats who's midnight oil really made it all come together: Union Electrician and psycho sailboat racer from Santa Cruz: Johnny O'leary, Mr. Low Profile/Large Heart himself:Christopher Moore who has provided the venue for 500 major VW repairs over the years, along with his parts, knowledge and -again in this case- his hands-on experience and help, Mark Waterman and his Copilot/Navigator, who helped finish-up the wiring on this thing, but most importantly, by helping form the three-bus army that blasted through the dark of night south out of Willits late Saturday, Sean Dorman (Crofty) who rebuilt 5 headlight switches for me a while back and whose efforts -quite literally- lighted our entire journey to the show, and to David Heard (RBS) for overcoming big challenges in order to give back to the community again with this successful series of affordable VW events. Not last -but so incredibly huge- Everette Barnes and his team has to take the largest portion of the pie in the entire story, since there wouldn't be a story were it not for this website -his website- unto which so many of us find ourselves glued.

Johnny O' was the main man behind the 48 hour final mission, including the 6 hour battle to get lighting to all four corners of the bus (including brake lights). Johnny drove us all the way up to Willits to get the bus, did 90% of the work on the electrical, drove all the way to the show behind me running "decoy", and pulled over with me the few times I needed to fix something or, in the last -most important one- let me siphon fuel from his bus to fill the empty auxiliary tank when my estimate that I'd have enough to get to Santa Rosa proved faulty. He packed over 250lbs of my junk in his bus back down from Willits and then unloaded all of it while I raced to do exactly the same from the 59 Kombi, finally unloading all the extraction gear, tires, tools, tools and more tools. He was the man who did the intel -kept the intelligent ideas and thinking front and center when my own brain power began to falter -like driving to the Quick Stop before 2am so we could party with Captain Morgan's when we finally made it to Vellejo. And finally we did. We arrived at Hippie Tim's at about 2:30am and high fived for the ultimate mission accomplishment. Notice the weird original camper bed support on Johnny's Catalina Island W/T Kombi Airport Bus/ registered "house car":

Last but not least, I wanted to thank all of you for standing behind and appreciating what so many would blindly consider a worthless cause. I would continue doing these drive outs regardless, but your being there watching, makes it that much more fun, so thank you everyone who supported this drive out -together- we saved another one from the crusher. Applause Cool

Here's the bus finally back to the Hangar where the disaster of off-loaded tools and junk await hours of re-organization. The '67 DD there is the current recruit, and it's putting out quite a bit of faithful work in it's effort to qualify where the previous Ugly '63 had dominated for two years. More on the DD as our experiences grow. '58 Kombi in the background, '79 Piper Tomahawk in the foreground

Last edited by kombisutra on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 pm; edited 6 times in total
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This inspires me to do a drive out from my own garage!

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic.
I notice a lot of SCIIs shirts in this thread. Good! That's why I made them camo green and tan. For clandestine, wooded driveouts!
Keysar
Samba Grammar Tutor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read... Smile
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SurfCityRacing wrote:

Classic.
I notice a lot of SCIIs shirts in this thread. Good! That's why I made them camo green and tan. For clandestine, wooded driveouts!
Man, that picture could have been taken in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, LOL.
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
SurfCityRacing wrote:

Man, that picture could have been taken in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, LOL.

...or 3 days ago! Laughing

That's exactly what I was thinking, 61!
angus_hanger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
mannys66 wrote:
I know most folks will disagree with me, but I don’t feel there's any need for a camera crew or video editing, I like how Brian just goes in there military style and gets shit done, none of that pansy reality tv style crap, which in my opinion will ruin the whole experience and make it look to easy. more is less sometimes, and this is just the perfect example of that.

Someone gets it.Smile

Is there someway to thumbs up a response?
"Why yes sir, Sheriff, I do like Fat Chicks."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics! Looks like a nice restorable project bus. Can't wait for the pics of the next find? When are you planning to go back and find the second bus? It's threads like this that have inspired me to go back to stock height buses Shocked
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angus_hanger wrote:
crofty wrote:
mannys66 wrote:
I know most folks will disagree with me, but I don’t feel there's any need for a camera crew or video editing, I like how Brian just goes in there military style and gets shit done, none of that pansy reality tv style crap, which in my opinion will ruin the whole experience and make it look to easy. more is less sometimes, and this is just the perfect example of that.

Someone gets it.Smile

Is there someway to thumbs up a response?

You could paypal me? Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: