Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How can I "bench test" a Sapphire 1 radio?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: How can I "bench test" a Sapphire 1 radio? Reply with quote

I am buying an old Sapphire 1 radio and at this time, my single cab is not wired for the radio and is 12 volt and all. Knowing this radio is a 6 volt radio, I understand I need to buy a 12 volt to 6 volt drop device to eventually use this is my ride. Before I do that though since it will be some time before I install in my ride, I want to test the radio to make sure it works. I have connected radios before in newer vehicles but do not want to blow up my sapphire so wanted to make sure grounding and all is done right. So, here are my questions.

Is there some ac adapter or box that I can buy at Radio Shack that allows me to power 6 and 12 volt devices on a bench? Please offer info on what I need to buy on this to power the radio. I would prefer a box that offers 6 and 12 volt so I can test more than just one 6 volt Sapphire. I may have a 12 volt radio later on that I want to test also.

Proper wiring? I believe the Sapphire has 2 or 3 wires coming out of it (at least that is what the picture looked like; I don't have the radio yet). Probably one "positive" lead, one "negative" lead, and one speacker wire. Not 100% sure on this. I think there are different grounds. One type you just connect the "negative" lead to some ground screw iin your ride? Other type I guess to the negative on the battery. Not sure so just want to make sure I ground the radio proper. So "positive" to positive power, "negative" to negative/grouund source (what would that be?), and speaker wire to speaker. I guess I also need to connect a small external antenna to get a signal also?

Any difference when I install it in my single cab? Do I just find a positive coming off the fuse box, find some negative to ground it to (where?), and it should work?

Any help for me would be great!

Thanks in advance. I just want to make sure the radio works before storing ot for later install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a rheostat (SP?) from the Shack and turn it all the way down and connect up your radio, speaker and battery.

When your ready to go, turn the radio on, connected to a speaker and then turn the rheostat up a little at a time and see if it fires.
SBS #00
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my old 12 volt / 6volt battery trickle charger to test stuff all the time. As long as you don't try to draw too many amps you're ok. Or you can buy a "6 volt Power supply" at radio shack for ??

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I use my 6-volt battery charger, set on the low setting.

I would ground the body of the radio too, either from the back of the radio or twist a wire onto one of the poles because those might ground out on the dashboard when mounted.

Connect the ground wire to the ground of the battery or to a ground source on your car. It doesn't matter which. Normally it would go to a ground screw on your Bus, not the battery.

The speaker wire goes to the positive on the speaker, then just connect the ground on the speaker to the same ground as the radio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#2 Proper wiring? I believe the Sapphire has 2 or 3 wires coming out of it (at least that is what the picture looked like; I don't have the radio yet). Probably one "positive" lead, one "negative" lead, and one speacker wire. Not 100% sure on this.

Most Sapphires have the following wires:

Black wire with 2 amp fuse holder - power in to radio
Black wire without fuse holder - power in to radio dial light, connects to light switch with the rest of the dash lights
2 brown wires (looks like lamp cord) - speaker connections

There is not a separate ground wire (it normally grounds to the car/bus body when mounted), but you can add one to the radio case.

Quote:
....I guess I also need to connect a small external antenna to get a signal also?

Yep - stick a small screwdriver in the center of the antenna socket and clip a 2-3 foot wire to the screwdriver. Make sure it doesn't short out to the radio case. Great bench antenna! Or better yet use a real antenna off the bus and just plug it in.
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the AM Sapphires only drive one speaker in the single cabs that was mounted under the dash. I have one of the the 5" speaker brackets to connect the speaker to. Question is, if I have only one speaker, but I have two brown speaker wires coming out of the radio. Do I just use one? Which one? Need more info on how to connect both brown wires if they supposed to be connected someplace. Does one connect to the + on the speaker and the other the "-" ?

Thanks

thomas

"2 brown wires (looks like lamp cord) - speaker connections"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

Location: Somewhere in my mind... The Real er Laguna Beach :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amishman,

Your Sapphire I drives one speaker. Connect the two wires (brown lamp cord) to the two terminals on the speaker. You're done...

Scott
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also just go buy a cheap lantern battery (the big boxy batteries) for 3-4bucks. They're 6V and will power the radio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can also just go buy a cheap lantern battery (the big boxy batteries) for 3-4bucks. They're 6V and will power the radio

Lantern batteries are what I have always used for testing radios. If you need to work on them for an extended period of time, you need an AC power supply.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More questions. I just purchased a 6/12 volt battery charger. Figured I could use it anyway down the road. My unit has one 6 volt setting, 6 Amp 6 Volt, and two 12 volt, 2 Amp and 6 Amp. My question is will the 6 Amp 6 Volt setting be OK for the Sapphire 1 or is that too much? I do not want to blow up the radio. 2nd question, the radio I have came without the fuse and fuse holder. I will buy a generic one tomorrow. What fuse should I get. 2 Amp OK or 6 Amp or ?? Need guidance on this. I guess if 6 Amp is too much, I will have to buy the latern radio like someone suggested and try that.

BTW, when running a radio on the Battery Charger, should I see anything on the built in ampmeter? I would think that only shows something if connected to a battery but wondered if I should still get something on the Ampmeter when driving a radio.

Thanks

Thomas
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
My question is will the 6 Amp 6 Volt setting be OK for the Sapphire 1 or is that too much?

6 amp will be fine, the radio will only use what it needs

Quote:
What fuse should I get. 2 Amp OK or 6 Amp or ??

The original was an AGA2 2 amp fuse (about 3/8-1/2 inch long) - if you're getting a universal fuse holder you might have to use a 3AG 2 amp fuse which is about 1 inch long. Some of the universal holders include longer springs to use with shorter fuses, some don't.

Quote:
BTW, when running a radio on the Battery Charger, should I see anything on the built in ampmeter?

Depends on the accuracy of the ammeter - the radio draws under an amp in normal use. If it blows a 2 amp fuse then most likely the output transistor is shorted.

Another note - because a battery charger puts out garbage DC, you may hear an underlying AC hum from the radio. That's normal and you won't hear it when playing the radio on a pure DC battery.
62 SC & 66 Bus
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More battery charger issues. I am not having any luck testing a different radio using this battery charger method. Battery chargers have an automatic shutoff so when the battery is all the way charged, it shuts off. I have a feeling this is why this is not working to power my radio. I grabbed my multimeter and turned it on to read DC voltage and thought if I had the battery charger turned on to either 6 or 12 volt mode, I would get a reading of 6 or 12 volt on my meter. I get nothing. Like it is getting no power. So either my new battery charger is DOA or maybe it does not work unless it reads some juice from a battery? Kind of new to this so seek assistance. So from you users of the battery charger method, how did you get past this problem or am I not on the right track here.

Thanks

Thomas
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My battery charger is ages old so I don't have that problem, but yes, the newer ones that shut themselves off probably need a load on them to work, and the radio just isn't enough of a load. Crying or Very sad Try connecting the charger across a headlight bulb - that should be a good load.
62 SC & 66 Bus
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun,
You are giving some excellent info. there.
One word of warning, though.
Be sure the radio is well grounded with a wire which will not come unattached.
The quickest way to blow out these radios is to power them, and then intermittantly disconnect the ground. This creates a capacitive charge which will blow the transistor(s) in a fraction of a second.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not follow the bulb recommendation. Can you explain how I do this. I happen to have a extra break light bulb lying around that I could use. would that work. What do I do?

thomas
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more questions... Is the negative lead on a battery considered the same as a "ground"? Therefore, when I am bench testing my radio, and do not have a metal surface in the car to connect the ground wire to, if I connect a wire from the ground to the negative on the battery, is that OK?

Lastly, how many AMPS do I actually need to just power the radio to confirm it works. I see Radio Shack has these small AC to DC adapters and they are all low amps but all I want to do is test or play the radio at low volume so would a 1AMP 6V DC Adapter work for me. I would think yes but do not know if there is a minimum amp the power needs to be at for the radio to power.

Thanks

thomas
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the negative lead on the battery to the threaded post on the back of the radio.

Just get the lantern battery. They're cheap. I've had mine for a few years and have tested quite a few radios. It's very straight forward with the connections and they are easy to find.

Scott
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. I tried the 6 Volt Latern Battery option and it worked for me. $5 for the batery. I have no other use for the battery now but I guess as long as it has some shelf life, will use it later again.

Thanks

Thomas
Scotts 63 23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amishman,

I throw my 6 volt battery in my backpack at swaps to test radios. It kind of freaks out a vender when they tell me the radio works and I whip out my battery...

Scott
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a super old thread but I wanted to add some information:

I was recently testing two 60/61 Sapphire Is with the trapezoidal buttons and I noticed both of them do not work well off my battery charger.

A hum was produced and the speaker was booming in/out, like it had massive feedback.

Both worked fine when tested with a normal 6-volt vehicle battery.

My later Sapphire Is, 62/63, worked fine off the charger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: