Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=474405&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ[/url]

OK. I did a search for fuel line and came up with nothing for that specific title/subject. There is the thread Gone in 60 seconds.. Poof! that was started (and subsequently locked) about a fire in a bus owned at one point by Jake Raby. There was some good info provided by Jake regarding multi-fuel rated hoses and others, including Randy in Maine regarding Gates 30R9 fuel line. There is also various and sundry info about fuel hose in the Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! thread.

I figured I'd start this thread to create easy access in the search for info on fuel lines. If the thread is redundant, please delete.

I am currently using German cloth braided and I am getting ready to change all my lines. I am interested in the Gates product, or any similar product. I was unable to discern from what I found on the web if it is available in metric and where to get it.

Also, when I have asked at several auto parts stores about multi-fuel rated hoses and metric hoses in general I was sneered at and dismissed...they have lost my business. Input...
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suitable Gates 30R9 FI fuel line is available at most NAPA auto parts stores and comes in 8mm or 5/16" line which fits well. About $6 a foot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most FLAPS can order it, the Gates model number is: 4219D and it is available in two lengths:

10 feet Part # 27085
25 feet Part # 27095

This is for 5/16".
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8mm or 5/16" is fine for FI buses but too big for carbs like a 74 has, infact 1/4" is even a sloppy fit, you can sort of squeeze it down onto the fittings with good clamps but a better fix would be tapping the carbs/pump, etc.. and installing fittings like this thread mentions: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462873

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Opossum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4" Gates model number same as 5/16": 4219D

10' part # 27082
25' part # 27094
Virginia Whiteface (Opossum) the first VW
Camper Special Club Member
1973 Orange Westfalia Hard top, Original owner
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read that thread where jake raby mentioned
the short live span of the german fuel line

a few days later i found 2 cracked fuel lines in my 75 9-setaer

the fuel lines were german braided fi rated & only lasted
2 years

so now its time to redo the job with better quality fuel lines

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Doesn't it make sense that some company somewhere offers the multi-fuel grade hose in metric? I'm gonna keep searching?
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep searching.

Then buy the Gates hose that is 8mm (5/16") it actually fits better than the 7mm..
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why it is so difficult in this country (the usa) to get metric lines. most autos these days are metric and all I can get at the parts stores is inch size. Nuts and bolts the same way most things are metric and out of a whole row in the store there is one set of draws with metric stuff and it cost more.
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

Thanks Randy. I'm in. So, all the fuel line after the pump is 7mm, correct? Is the line from the tank to the pump 7mm as well?
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your local FLAPS support the Samba? No, they don't even carry fuel line in metric sizes. They are not to be trusted!

There is plenty of proper fuel line available from the advertisers here on the Samba.
Supporting those advertisers = Supporting the Samba.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: OK Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Thanks Randy. I'm in. So, all the fuel line after the pump is 7mm, correct? Is the line from the tank to the pump 7mm as well?

I failed to notice that you are not fuel injected. I am not sure what your lines are (as I have never had to deal withthose before). I would call the FLAPS, NAPA, or your normal supplier.
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be out of the inner group, but what is "FLAPS"?

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

It is important to KYA (Know Your Acronyms) Razz
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
I may be out of the inner group, but what is "FLAPS"?

Don't feel bad, I thought it stood for Foreign Lands Auto Parts Store until I asked a few months ago. At least I got 3 outa five words right. 60% is still a passing grade in some states. Very Happy
vw76westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is plenty of proper fuel line available from the advertisers here on the Samba.
Supporting those advertisers = Supporting the Samba.

quote from bay window bus buyers guide........
The Type 4 engine is considered by many to be VW's finest air-cooled motor,
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember on the carb'd T-4 engines that had the fuel pump at the right lower part of the engine, one of the fuel hoses was a special stepped hose. I believe it was the hose that ran from the tank outlet to the inlet of the fuel pump. In lieu of this special hose we used to install the commonly used plastic fuel filter that had 1/4" and 5/16" step at each end.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbore wrote:
I don't understand why it is so difficult in this country (the usa) to get metric lines. most autos these days are metric and all I can get at the parts stores is inch size. Nuts and bolts the same way most things are metric and out of a whole row in the store there is one set of draws with metric stuff and it cost more.

For some reason, they want to keep us confused and handicapped as long as possible. I would think we would see a significant up tick in our international equipment sales if we would go 100% metric.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
I remember on the carb'd T-4 engines that had the fuel pump at the right lower part of the engine, one of the fuel hoses was a special stepped hose. I believe it was the hose that ran from the tank outlet to the inlet of the fuel pump. In lieu of this special hose we used to install the commonly used plastic fuel filter that had 1/4" and 5/16" step at each end.

Yep, the pump inlet is 5/16" for some reason but the tank outlet is smaller, I do the filter trick on that one as well.
So they originally had a stepped hose?, fascinating, always pondered that but never enough to lose any sleep over it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I would think we would see a significant up tick in our international equipment sales if we would go 100% metric.

Back in '74-75 or so, when the big debate was raging in Canada over whether to switch to the metric system, the prevailing argument was that the United States was going to switch soon, so we had to so that we wouldn't be left out of international trade and markets.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: