Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chrome beetle tail lights for dune buggy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Chrome beetle tail lights for dune buggy? Reply with quote

I must be an idiot but I have tried and tried searching the internet for some repop chrome beetle tail lights to match the corroded ones on my dune buggy pictured below. I have looked at all the major suppliers websites like CIP1, etc. and only find a chrome ring, primer housing, bulb holder and lenses. Does anybody know where I can get some complete chrome tail light assemblys to replace these or even just the chrome housing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a local chrome shop to have mine done. I could not find anywhere that was selling them already chrome.
Good chrome is not cheap here in California. To chrome my own good housings was close to $100.00.
You may have to find different housings if yours are rusted badly.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960

Last edited by jsturtlebuggy on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mstevens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me I have searched all over too and you cant just go out and buy them. You need to take apart your tail lights and send the housing off to a chrome shop. If you keep a sharp eye on the classifieds here on the samba, used ones do show up but they are usually a pretty penny. Way cheaper to just go have yours chromed.
kanaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny but since almost every dune buggy I've ever seen had chrome beetle tail lights I just figured they were a dime a dozen in the aftermarket. I guess not! Mine are solid, just peeling on the outside so I guess they will go off to the chrome shop this winter!

Thanks for the replys!!!

Scott
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get them powdercoated chrome. Will prolly last longer anyway.
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1968 chrome housings were basically a dime a dozen. In 1968 chrome VW tailights were $4.99 each from JC Whitney. Chrome will outlast powdercoat as long as it is taken care of. My chrome tailights were installed on the buggy in 1968 and they still look like new.
"Prolly"???
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone ever repos them they will make a mint.

--louis

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed this idea, along with several others to EMPI about a year ago. Nothing...........
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
I emailed this idea, along with several others to EMPI about a year ago. Nothing...........

EMPI didn't respond, because they know how hard it is to flash chrome a turd in China... and my guess is that the chrome parts would be of no better quality than the Chinese-made buggy headlight shells that seem to peel and pit when exposed to the elements.

bnc
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an inventory of good tail lights that I get from swap meets just for chrome. I look for units that have original paint, no dents or rust. They are abundant.

(Side note.) The brows on the other hand are harder to find. they dent on the top by the center screw when installed at the factory.

After we take the studs off they get shipped to Kerr West in Arizona Its a great little chrome shop. If you want quality they are the guys. We have dealt with a lot of chrome shops. Most suck! These guys are high quality, good price and most of the time, fast.

Just tell them I sent you.
Kerr West

(623) 937-8676

Mike, Dad /Boss

Adam, Son / Minion

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com

Last edited by kustoms on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example, might at least be worth it to get a price on getting a pair of taillights coated.

pilotricky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: chromed VW tail light housings Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find them either. The local chrome plating shop told me to chrome plate my 1967 VW Beetle tail light housings would cost between $85.00 to $120.00 ...for EACH one! I am still probably going to go ahead and do it...gotta save up for it, though.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the chrome plating is done correctly, tripple plate, it is a drawn out, labor intensive process.

It holds so true that you get what you pay for. I imagine Tom pays a pretty penny for the units he has chromed in AZ, but look how nice they are.

BTW, tripple plating is Copper, Nickel and finally Chrome.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
If the chrome plating is done correctly, tripple plate, it is a drawn out, labor intensive process.

It holds so true that you get what you pay for. I imagine Tom pays a pretty penny for the units he has chromed in AZ, but look how nice they are.

BTW, tripple plating is Copper, Nickel and finally Chrome.

Yes, triple plating is copper, nickel, chromium. Most shops nowadays try to sell you triple nickel plating. DO NOT DO THIS!!! You must listen to the wording. Nickel and chrome do not like to stick to steel. Copper is the most expensive component because of all the EPA regulations on the cyanide dip and cost of copper. So, a lot of shops build up the nickel to act as a shell, so instead of an adhesion you have an encapsulation. When moisture gets behind it, it will separate the nickel from the steel. The copper acts as the primer.

To check to see if you have "REAL" chrome is pretty simple. Look at depth meaning the detail of your reflection. The next thing is chrome should have a “blue / black” tone to it. This is the copper base it will look a lot richer. Next time you have a chance, pick up a piece of Chinese chrome and look at how flat it is.

I have been dealing with chrome shops for years. Let me tell you there are some shifty characters out there. Try to stay away from the chrome shops in the north east, after 1989 the last great shop closed right here on long Island. This place was a hot bed for airplane manufacturing until then.

I found Kerr West when visiting my parents in Phoenix about 10 years ago. If you call them make sure you tell him I sent you as Mike knows how picky I am because I send a lot of work his way. Pricing is on par with most other shops. If you have a good base to work with, you will get exultant quality.

BTW, the base part is one of the most important aspects to good chrome. Also keep in mind if the tin smith has to work on a part to make it look good it will cost you. For instance, if you have a good tail light housing with no dents that you paid $5.00 for at a swap meet your good to go. But if you have rust and dents you could add $75.00 and up to the cost of chrome.

Edited to add this; Remove the studs before hand. They are to short to go through most fiberglass bodies.

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Snipley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a complete set with lens i want to get rid of. I'll send you a pic when I get home.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanaka - If Dallas (GA) Plating is still around, try them. I've seen their work and it looks pretty good. Or try Advanced Plating in Nashville. They've been featured a coupla' times on PowerBlock TV. These guys seem to take triple chroming seriously. Never used either of them, but I have seen work from both of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. Flatlands Engineering has them but the are in the UK. I'm sure by the time you convert US Dollars to British Pounds and then shipping it would be costly. Just remembered that I saw them on their website.
Sandwinder2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped mine off at the chrome shop today,$90.00 for the pair. And yes triple plated copper,nickel,chromium.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAD searched high and low for these chrome housings as well. (62-67). Its funny how trends faded away.....and then are reborn red hot ...
You could pick them up at swap meets for 10 bucks a pair 20 years ago.
I ended up finding a nice 3 piece, 2 tail and the license lamp (64-66) set used by placing a want ad.
I also emailed Mid America Motorworks during my search. I thought since they have now ventured into Buggy supplies as well as some really cheesy stainless add ons for Beetles, they may can look into providing a supply. I suggested stainless slip over covers, that slip over an original housing. (Even the cheapo chrome plastic covers would work fine). I did receive a repsonse, and it seemed as if they "may" look into it..... I wouldnt hold my breath waiting.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: