Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front disc brake conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: fronty diskm conversion. Reply with quote

And this is the oldspeed kit? How much and how was the lead time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look like a very nice kit.

So with the Wagenswest Babystang front brakes, what Wilwood callipers came with it and what is the piston area? Also, what are you doing about a master cylinder and proportioning valve? As I assume you are running drum brakes in the rear.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: fronty diskm conversion. Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:

My Old Speed Kit arrived a few days ago. It was $1,250 plus tax and shipping. When I ordered it, I was told 2-3 weeks, and it arrived in under 3 weeks, well packaged, and all looks good.

I was super busy at work this week, I will take some photos of the kit and post them up this weekend.
snuffelupabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: fronty diskm conversion. Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:

Mine is the Wagonswest, babystang kit. I waited 6 weeks for delivery, I'm in Canada so to me thats pretty good.

My kit is a year or two old. Someone said they are making improvements to the kit, what they need to improve is beyond me.

Gordo, don't know much about surface areas and stuff. If you look through the Wagonwest online instructions, you can see caliper box/part number.
Drums on back.
I'm using the Rabbit style master cylinder as supplied by Wagonswest. I figure they know much more about bus brakes than I do.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: fronty diskm conversion. Reply with quote

snuffelupabus wrote:
Cptn. Calzone wrote:

Mine is the Wagonswest, babystang kit. I waited 6 weeks for delivery, I'm in Canada so to me thats pretty good.

My kit is a year or two old. Someone said they are making improvements to the kit, what they need to improve is beyond me.

Gordo, don't know much about surface areas and stuff. If you look through the Wagonwest online instructions, you can see caliper box/part number.
Drums on back.
I'm using the Rabbit style master cylinder as supplied by Wagonswest. I figure they know much more about bus brakes than I do.

I've had my babystang kit in use for 5 months now. It stops very well. Just this weekend a driver of a brand new Golf Wagon TDI decided they had to slam their brakes to stop at a yellow light. Thanks to the Wagonswest kit I didn't have to fix the Golf, my bus or my kneecaps. I'm a very happy customer.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that kind of situation in mind, has anyone used the Wilwood six piston Calipers on a Bus?
They are a straight swap for the Wilwood Dynalite and the Dynapro calipers , but offer better rigidity and they are directional (applying more pressure to the pads trailing edge), plus offering a larger brake pad surface.

I am looking at this as an option for the 944 N/A brake conversion on my Bus. With conversion pieces from V-Dub Engineering's Lanner Khan.

I have been in a bad, almost didn't stop in time, situation in my Bus before. Where we ended up being pinched between a Jeep and an F-150. I will take being tagged in the back end because I stopped too quickly, over watching someone's bumper disappear below my windshield any day. I want good brakes. I want to stop so quickly my teardrops of joy fall to the inside of the windshield.

Gordo.

67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having put thousands of daily driver miles on stock, 944 N/A four wheel discs and now 944 turbo spec Brembo's I can say that the 944 N/A brakes put out as much power as my tires could handle (215/40 F1 Goodyears front tires, rears are pretty much airborne)) doing some brake testing I could lock at any speed, 100 m.p.h.+ and modulate threshold braking easily using the stock matching 944 M/C.
The 944 vented rotors resist fade and with the mid-range Porterfeild pads cold street braking was excellent.
I see this set-up as the best for busses that do not need to run stock wheels.
The 4 piston Brembos I am currently rolling don't feel like they are doing any more work even though my power is up from a 2110 to a 3.2, though they sure look pretty!
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
Having put thousands of daily driver miles on stock, 944 N/A four wheel discs and now 944 turbo spec Brembo's I can say that the 944 N/A brakes put out as much power as my tires could handle (215/40 F1 Goodyears front tires, rears are pretty much airborne)) doing some brake testing I could lock at any speed, 100 m.p.h.+ and modulate threshold braking easily using the stock matching 944 M/C.
The 944 vented rotors resist fade and with the mid-range Porterfeild pads cold street braking was excellent.
I see this set-up as the best for busses that do not need to run stock wheels.
The 4 piston Brembos I am currently rolling don't feel like they are doing any more work even though my power is up from a 2110 to a 3.2, though they sure look pretty!

That is what I like to hear. Good, useful information.

The 944 n/a master has piston sizes of 23mm front and 19mm rear. The brembo callipers have areas of 4.1"sq front and 2.5"sq rear. This gives hydraulic advantage ratios of 6.5:1 front and 5.68:1 rear, which is a good brake bias for a Bus of 53.5% front and 46.5% rear. Of course the slightly larger rear rotors will bend that ratio ever so lightly closer to a 50/50 ratio.
All of this info helps me with my caliper choices, as I plan on using the stock '67 MC, which has a 22.2mm bore and i want to have a good balance of pedal pressure and pedal travel.

Gordo.

ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the babystangs work ok.

I think the piston area on the babystang is a little small for the 67 only MC.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks

Last edited by ezcamper on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the stock 944 N/A master cylinder with the matching brakes (Wagonwest welded drop 944 spindles front and Wagonwest I.R.S. kit in the back with the stock 944 steel arms) balanced perfectly. I was ready to install a Tilton bias valve but found it unnecessary. I sold my 67 master to someone who needed it to match the stock V.W. system.
The stock 944 stuff is so cheap and plentiful I am baffled by the foray into aftermarket components. I understand the challenge of discs for the stock wheel fans but for anyone going to Porsche pattern wheels the 944 stuff almost bolts on.
The 944 turbo/S2 Brembos are nice as well and still fit with a (little planning) pretty easily and with this as my present system with the matching master cylinder and some aggressive tires 215 front 245 rears allow me to stop as fast as any car I have ever driven.
Even with 230+h.p. my brake system is done.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Old Speed Disc Brake Kit Reply with quote

Here are pictures of the disc brake kit I bought from Russ at Old Speed. Sorry it took me so long to post the pictures; I've been super busy with work.

I went with his kit because the rotors, hubs, bearings, etc can easily be replaced from your average parts warehouse/auto store should he no longer be in business 5-10 years down the road.

The bracket is a custom machined part. Not pictured are the bearings that came with the kit.

If you're interested in the specifics, I would contact Russ.

I will not be installing the brakes for a while...So. I won't be able to comment on the installation at this time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: disks Reply with quote

I like it! Thick vented rotor and big caliper.What pads come with it if any/Thank you for the [post I have been wavering back and forth but now looking at oldspeeds quality I am sold.The adapter is nice and beefy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the track width diff, if any? From stock.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
I like it! Thick vented rotor and big caliper.What pads come with it if any/Thank you for the [post I have been wavering back and forth but now looking at oldspeeds quality I am sold.The adapter is nice and beefy

The kit comes with Wilwood pads too. I will check which ones tomorrow. My bus and parts are not stored here at my house, so I can't go check right now. I agree, everything seems well designed and built; thus far I'm glad I went with Old Speed's kit. If you call Russ, he will answer any questions you have about the kit. I'm a novice at all of this and he was very helpful when I talked with him.

chrisflstf wrote:
What is the track width diff, if any? From stock.

There is 3/8" added on each side, per Russ from Old Speed. I was told that with stock wheels and stock height it wouldn't be noticeable or much of a change from the original.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: disks Reply with quote

Cptn. Calzone wrote:
What pads come with it if any?

Below are pictures of the brake pads that came with my Oldspeed kit. The pads are Willwood and the box has the specific Willwood part number. Sorry it took so long to post the pictures.

ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the 14" old speed kit today. They work really really well. I'm using a 67 only mc.

When installing wilwood calipers, after hooking up the hose, fill them from the bottom until brake fluid comes out the top breeders. I used a syringe with clear tubing.

Super easy to bleed them after pre filling the calipers.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezcamper wrote:
I installed the 14" old speed kit today. They work really really well. I'm using a 67 only mc.

When installing wilwood calipers, after hooking up the hose, fill them from the bottom until brake fluid comes out the top breeders. I used a syringe with clear tubing.

Super easy to bleed them after pre filling the calipers.

That is good to know, as I also have the same kit to install on stock wheels. I won't be installing them for a while....That said, it's good to hear first hand knowledge to back up what I already assumed about Oldspeed's quality! I'm glad I spend the extra money for his kit.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back! After a long ordeal of returning the SACO front disc brake kit, I ordered the BUSTANG kit (For 15" wheels) from Wagonswest. Took a while, I opted to wait because they were fabbing up some new billet brackets, which look pretty damn nice. I did a dry fit right off the bat and the kit fit great. As of this morning I installed both sides. A couple things that are incredibly minor that cautioned me:

The small threaded brass adapter from the brake line to the Wilwood caliper is supposed to be "TIGHT" It got tight but kept on going until it bottomed out against the caliper, it would have felt more secure if it would have tightened up with some extra threads left over, make sense? No biggy?

The axle nuts, I felt a noticeable difference on this kit compared to a stock drum front end and the SACO kit. I'd tighten the nuts until they stopped, and I'd usually back off a tad to where the disc will spin nicely. I LIGTLY tightened up the axle nuts and the disc still spun almost the same, stock and other kits it would stop the wheel, then backing off the nuts, it would spin, that's personally where I'd lock the nut. But I did basically the same as stock, and what the manual said, no wobble of the disc, nice and firm, maybe a half turn too tight, but good for now to enable me to put the lines back on, and install the DCMC which I also ordered from Wagenswest.

The kit came with the pad boxes (which had some smaller pieces in them) and the pads were already installed, as well as the reservoir for the DCMC, which saved a few minutes, I dug it. Will post a test drive, hopefully by the weekend.

Here's some photos of the kit:

Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using for wheel bearing dust caps? It doesn't look like the stock ones will be deep enough.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
What are you using for wheel bearing dust caps? It doesn't look like the stock ones will be deep enough.

The first pic shows the Wagenswest caps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 48

Jump to: